Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• I don't care much to use my Virus as a USB audio device. But I DO use the Virus plugin in my DAW (for quick config, patch management, and automation), with all 3 USB/virtual outs heavily used in my productions. Reading the official post I'm unclear if I can migrate to Catalina yet.... since they use iTunes as an example. Which to me is a weird example since the plugin is the linchpin of this instrument's awesomeness... i.e. the TI bit ;)

Am I affected?

As a side I have just learnt about the Mystery Islands Music plugin... is that a viable route for my use case?

Edit: Seems MI plug doesn't do audio so you need to route audio back in to your DAW. i.e. it just is for patch management and automation. i.e. on USB outs back through your DAW.

• I DO use the Virus plugin in my DAW (for quick config, patch management, and automation), with all 3 USB/virtual outs heavily used in my productions. Reading the official post I'm unclear if I can migrate to Catalina yet....

Am I affected?

Yes. Do not upgrade.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Due to what Apple are about to do with.... actually I gotta be super careful here, NDA and all that, but... well this bit is out in the public domain already if you know where to look so I can say this much at least. Apple are going to be a little more... forceful shall I say delicately, with prompting customers to move to the latest macOS version.

This is already in action.. I've pretty much been forced to upgrade to Catalina on my 2018 Mac Mini due to consistent kernel panics. My newer Mac doesn't even support Mojave.

Let's just hope Access gets their shit together soon because Mojave support is really on it's last legs! Common Access! The ploytec driver is out already so what are we waiting for???

• I find it very disappointing that the virus isn't compatible with catalina after nearly a year of it being released. Nearly all other audio companies have respected their customers by making sure their products are compatible and working with Catalina.

There's a new operating system coming soon for Mac, it's been that long.

It's wise and suggestible to not upgrade the OS when they FIRST come out, give companies a chance to get their products working with the new OS, but this is just beyond belief from Access.

• I find it very disappointing that the virus isn't compatible with catalina after nearly a year of it being released. Nearly all other audio companies have respected their customers by making sure their products are compatible and working with Catalina.

There's a new operating system coming soon for Mac, it's been that long.

It's wise and suggestible to not upgrade the OS when they FIRST come out, give companies a chance to get their products working with the new OS, but this is just beyond belief from Access.

Skinny-Pop-Popcorn-main-image.jpg

8o

• You can use the Virus via another computer with the free tool Audiogridder. It allows you to stream virtual effects and instruments via a network from an old laptop or Mac Mini for example where you have connected your Virus TI to.

Or you just use one Mac with Catalina or the next iteration of macOS, but in order the use the Virus TI on one computer you need a little bit more work:

First you install the free VM manager https://www.virtualbox.org/ or VMWare, install Windows 7 or something similar in it, install the Virus software there.

Connect the Virus via USB to your Mac and let VirtualBox use that USB connection. Install Audiogridder on both the Windows 7 VM and macOS.

Your VM and macOS can communicate via a virtual network (which is created by VirtualBox). With AudioGridder you can then use the Virus TI in you macOS Catalina DAW.

If you use two Macs, remember you can create a network over Firewire or a Thunderbolt cable if you want to.

?cheers!

• That would suck resources (RAM and CPU) way too much for my liking.

I tried my own solution. It does take some resources on my 2017 MacBook Pro, about 2gb of ram and some CPU. I used Windows 8.1 setup via VMWare, Windows 7 had some graphics issues . It did work but Audiogridder was a little bit buggy. I have a Windows 10 PC somewhere which will probably work better for this purpose.

• Dear Dominic,

Thank you for your email. We're sorry to say but we do not have any news on macOS Catalina compatibility at this point.

We will post news once available.

With best regards,

Access Music Support

"Hi I'm enquiring over the mac os catalina compatibility with virus ti2. i would be extremely grateful if you can be honest and tell me whether you be addressing this issue, it's be long period of time this has been well over due some announcement. I know we've had the covid 19 pandemic but this has been going on long well before this came about. I have a piece of expensive equipment £1500 to be exact laying dormant unused. I think access have a responsibility to tell its customers the truth whether they will be fixing it. If not please let us know so we can make other arrangements to sell our products, it's the least you can do.

Regards

• Dear Access team,

on the one hand it's so sad and bitter to see, how you orphaned an outstanding synthesiser from Mac perspective. You cancelled (let me use cancelled here as I see no way to get it integrated into the DAW on Mac again) one of its core features (at least for me, probably for many others, too).

On the other hand I'm seriously annoyed since you, resp. your retailers, still advertise with a feature which is not available:

• Virus Control 3.0 VST and Apple Audio Unit Plug-for Mac OS X and Windows XP. The remote seamlessly integrates the Virus TI into your sequencer, making it feel just like a plug-in. (Sweetwater, online shop)

It would be a lame excuse if you said that it's up to the retailer to check for compatibility. This information is to broadcasted by you (did you?). 2nd, Mac's Catalina was released on October 7, 2019, announced on June 2019. So please nobody tell me to 'stick with Mojave' for time being.

So maybe you want to do me and probably others a favour and shed some light on the current situation (Are you really committed to support integration on Mac in future? If yes, what's the progress so far?) and inform your retailers that you are not supporting the current Mac OS - it's just fair to be honest and tell this to new customers. Personally I'd be /really/ pissed off buying a new £2000 Synth recognising soon later that I got tricked by its feature list. Sure it's only 1 item on a long feature list but...

As I previously said, it's a brilliant piece of hardware but a real PITA regarding the software on Mac.

Kind (of unhappy) regards - ewo

• That's a copy/paste of the same answer I received. Meanwhile, Big Sur and ARM-based Macs are announced and still no news from Access. This is ridiculous.

• serious question: are there ANY plans or further developments for Ti to at least make work again as it's supposed to? We'll be coming up to almost a year now and still no solution. Has R&D stopped due to Covid19?

The lack of comms. from Access is really not good. I've completely given up with USB audio though. Adds too much latency. All I want, is an editor! Not the first time I've said it, just on this thread.

• Me again - (apologies to everyone who already knows this) but, having had to refamiliarise myself with the controls on the face of the synth by reading the manual, I've discovered that the TI in Virus TI2 stands for 'Total Integration' specifically BECAUSE of the plugin integration with the DAW.

Given that (and I'm only just realising this now - again, late to the party) this is the USP for the Synth I now completely understand why people are so frustrated....

Rebrand the Synth as 'Virus SI' (some integration - ie if you have a PC)? :P

• UPDATE:

As most of ya'll probably know Apple just announced MacOS Big Sur.

As optimistic as I am I decided to give the Beta a try to see what changed regarding the Virus TI. Unfortunately I am sad to inform you guys that on MacOS Big Sur Beta, The Virus TI software now completely ceased working. The installer can only run by turning off System Integrity and while it does install the VST, VST3 and AU plugins, only AU is actually recognized by plugin validation. I’ve tried this in Studio One and Logic Pro and both just crash while trying to open the plugin. The VST and VST3 version don’t even make it to the validation process.

Another update: Weirdly enough MacOS Big Sur does still recognize the Virus as an USB audio interface and they've actually fixed audio on the Virus!

You can now select the Virus as an Audio out in MacOS's Sound settings and it works again. (doing that in Catalina resolved in no sound)

So it seems like Access wouldn't even have to work on that part. All they need to do is fix the VST, VST3 and AU plugin.

• Me again - (apologies to everyone who already knows this) but, having had to refamiliarise myself with the controls on the face of the synth by reading the manual, I've discovered that the TI in Virus TI2 stands for 'Total Integration' specifically BECAUSE of the plugin integration with the DAW.

Given that (and I'm only just realising this now - again, late to the party) this is the USP for the Synth I now completely understand why people are so frustrated....

Rebrand the Synth as 'Virus SI' (some integration - ie if you have a PC)? :P

TI = Total incapable ;(