Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• It's not Logic Pro X either. I've tried it in both Ableton 10.11 and Reason 11. The Virus TI does appear to receive midi data. It just can't send audio through USB.

My conclusion is that the Virus TI is not compatible with MacOS 10.15.

• I have the same problem with Ableton 10 (+ RC Beta) and Cubase 10. The plugin opens normally. The midi data / keys are displayed in the virus plugin, but there is no sound. The routing has been checked. All other VST / AU work with sound.

• Marc wrote: I've made an announcement here: Virus TI Software Suite for macOS 10.15 Catalina

yes, there is something strange. we have to dig i deeper (which is a problem because we're missing compatible DAWs). as for the audio output itself, we had 10.15 beta testers who confirmed that it _was_ working and we still need to investigate what the issue behind the release version is - for now, you need to use the analog outs.

i personally will stay away from catalina for the next month for my music mac, i've already received a ton of warning emails and as far as I can see, audio interface manufacturers also haven't issued any statement that indicates that things are working smooth.

hope that helps, marc

• I personally will stay away from catalina for the next month for my music mac, i've already received a ton of warning emails and as far as I can see, audio interface manufacturers also haven't issued any statement that indicates that things are working smooth.

hope that helps, marc

What are you even saying with this? Do you mean Is Access is working on an update that works on Catalina? Or are you suggesting we will have to wait for Apple to magically fix this? (which they won't btw, I already tried Beta 10.15.1) To me that sounds like you're trying to shift the blame to Apple.

My USB audio interfaces and my plugins all work without a problem. Even all the Native Instruments, who issued a special warning about Catalina. I get that the Virus a bit more complex than a normal plugin but the fact is, we haven't seen an update in years. Acces seems more than happy to do nothing about it.

• Why does Access Music continue to sell an instrument the (virus ti2 line) that they clearly no longer support! I paid full price for mine a few years back and at the very least they could show some good will in updating the software for us who still believe in it and love the instrument.

• I have a TI2 that I haven’t used in years. I actually work at Apple in CoreAudio and will try this out on 10.15 and see how it goes.

but aside from that, is there any plans to open source the driver code if there is t going to be any future support going forward?

• but aside from that, is there any plans to open source the driver code if there is t going to be any future support going forward?

Read Marc's last reply and then think about ownership of intellectual property. I'm sure you can answer your own question then.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Tried it out on my machine running 10.15, definitely is an issue with the audio driver, midi seems to be okay.

Starting IO to the Virus audio device seems to be timing out by not getting the first zero time stamp. So definitely something up with the usb/audio driver, perhaps something incompatible with the 32->64 bit transition?

I wouldn't think this would be a difficult problem to solve if someone looked into it.

• This is really frustrating. I have several Logic-Projects ongoing, for which I need my Virus TI (Virus-tracks within the projects have not been bounced yet). After having updated my Mac with Catalina I can not finish them. Does anyone see a way to solve that problem? What action is access music going to take?

• Does anyone see a way to solve that problem?

• Revert to Mac OS X 10.14 Mojave... if that's not an option, then
    • Try if Virus Control actually works to send MIDI and get the audio back via analogue outputs (there's an option in VC to do so), if that doesn't work then
    • Try to use Virus Control to set up the patches in your Virus and store the setup in the Seq Mode Buffer or a Multi Patch, send the MIDI tracks directly over MIDI Cables to the Virus MIDI IN and and record audio via the analogue outputs into your audio interface

What action is access music going to take?

I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon. Every major music software company was warning all of their users to NOT install Catalina, yet.

You probably should have consulted the internet before upgrading...

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• A hint: The story of Ploytec

Everything else you have to research yourself.

Yep.

I had a dig around in the Virus audio driver binary files and Ploytec are indeed in there. 'PloytecHalPluginType' for example and that's why it's not working in Catalina. HAL Audio has been depreciated, doesn't exist in Catalina. Ploytec have to move to a different method called 'Audio Server' instead. This has been around since macOS 10.9 by the way, it's not a new thing! Ploytec do state that "We'll release a CoreAudio-only driver by late 2019" for their commercial USB Audio driver so, fingers crossed, they will also update the Virus drivers on behalf of Access Music as well.

Hope that helps.