Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• Deprecated HAL apis don’t mean they no longer wrk, just new features won’t be supported in the old driver model. They should still continue to function as they did (given there weren’t any bugs or regressions), so I do think it’s a problem elsewhere perhaps in usb and communicating to the hardware somehow

• Deprecated HAL apis don’t mean they no longer wrk, just new features won’t be supported in the old driver model. They should still continue to function as they did (given there weren’t any bugs or regressions), so I do think it’s a problem elsewhere perhaps in usb and communicating to the hardware somehow

Dude, please.....

This is my final statement on this matter as I don't want it to fall into a debate. Because there is no debate and if you really do work for Apple in a Core Audio role then you'd know that what you are stating is simply not true.

There is NO support for HAL audio plugins in Catalina. None. Zero. This means that you can tweak them as much as you want... they will.... not.... work. Why? Because the OS doesn't support them. Period.

There is no /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL directory created on a fresh Catalina install. Have a guess why?

Apple's own 10.15 Developer documentation states that HAL Audio Plug-ins are no longer supported.

Have a look at any list that people have posted online of what Catalina reports back as being incompatible once you install it. Contains HAL Audio Plug-in file paths.

And finally, from Ploytec, the company that wrote the Virus Ti drivers...

"Mac OS X Catalina no longer supports HAL plugins: Catalina Release Notes. We'll release a CoreAudio-only driver by late 2019.

Please note: The current driver is not compatible with Mac OS X 10.15."

I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right!

We all have to wait for a new compliant driver to be written and that's that. I'm staying on Mojave for the foreseeable future.

• What are you trying to achieve by defending Access?

Don't put the blame on Ploytec. They don't sell the Virus TI!

You can't tell customers to not upgrade or to use the audio out channels instead.. the product should work as advertised!

Regardless of the technical cause, Access is responsible for the products they sell. And I think they've had plenty of time to make it work within the MacOS beta period.

• Y'know what? I apologise. I should have made it perfectly clear, the text of my original post when I wrote ' ... as I don't want it to fall into a debate' that was really aimed at 'baeksan' to be honest. So I feel I have the right to reply to the above critique...

What are you trying to achieve by defending Access?

I'm not defending Access whatsoever! Please feel free to point out to me where you believe I've defended Access, if I've not been totally clear then I'll be happy to amend my misleading statement for you.

Don't put the blame on Ploytec. They don't sell the Virus TI!

I'm not putting the blame on Ploytec at all. I'm truly sorry if it came across that way. I was aiming to point out a previous post on this thread by Marc from Access, when he wrote he was waiting for more information from the company that wrote the driver. A little detective work later, and that appears to be Ploytec. So as I understand it, and I could be totally wrong of course, both Access and therefore ourselves, have to wait until Ploytec have written a compatible driver.

I believe that your other comments are directed to Marc/Access so he/they should have the right to reply.

Again, I'm sorry if I wasn't entirely clear in my original post and I hope that I've now cleared up any potential confusion.

• The audio outs on my Snow have an annoying buzz. I've read others have the same issue. I haven't updated to Catalina yet and don't plan to for a long while, but when I do my unit will essentially become a useless brick. Access has broken my heart from day one. TI was always a headache. I doubt the company has much interest in this aging product anymore. Too busy selling guitar amp profilers.

• The audio outs on my Snow have an annoying buzz. I've read others have the same issue. I haven't updated to Catalina yet and don't plan to for a long while, but when I do my unit will essentially become a useless brick. Access has broken my heart from day one. TI was always a headache. I doubt the company has much interest in this aging product anymore. Too busy selling guitar amp profilers.

You realize that your statement does not add any valiable information to this thread, and that you probably should contact Access Support instead to get your Snow serviced?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• This just in from Native Instruments today:

«IMPORTANT NOTE: macOS 10.15 terminates the operability of some NI legacy hardware. This includes MASCHINE MK1, AUDIO 2 / 4 / 8 DJ and TRAKTOR S4 / X1 MK1.»

https://support.native-instrum…tive-Instruments-Products

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Hello. Sorry if this question was asked before. But as control center doesn't work, is there a way that I can send the audio to my line outs instead of USB, without control center?

Cheers

You can. Open your Virus TI plugin, go to ''Common'' and then click ''MAIN OUT'' where you can select your audio output of choice.

Are you using an external interface with multiple Inputs? If so, which one? I'm on the lookout for one since it doesn't look like Access will be fixing this.

• So?? Here you are once again defending Access.

Am I? Have you seen my other posts regarding Access wanting to drop support for the VC application?

I just like to offer a bit of a perspective, and show that pretty much every (event the largest) audio companies have problems getting everything back to work on macos 10.15, especially with legacy hardware that was designed more than ten years ago. Also, consier that being an early adopter and upgrading your audio workstation whenever a new macos is released has been a bad idea for... decades (!).

Anyway, I really really hope that Ploytec can figure out a way to get the USB drivers working on macos 10.15, and also that there will be a new app available which takes over the VC functionality for firmware upgrades and backups.

• Dear Access,

Since you put support for Virus Total Integration on hold indefinitely, it would be appreciated if you could compile documentation to officially describe SysEx messages for the Virus TI. I believe there is some partial information already out there by some user effort.

But an official document, released under an „at your own risk, with no support“ disclaimer, would support us in these times. Some of us (like me) can try and write our own plugins/apps.

Right now Catalina users can’t even backup or exchange banks.

The argument „don’t upgrade“ does not count for me because my Mac was delivered with Catalina, not going to downgrade.

Virus TI2 (5.1.7), Macbook Pro 16“ (2019), macOS 10.15.3, Logic Pro X

• Am I? Have you seen my other posts regarding Access wanting to drop support for the VC application?

I just like to offer a bit of a perspective, and show that pretty much every (event the largest) audio companies have problems getting everything back to work on macos 10.15, especially with legacy hardware that was designed more than ten years ago. Also, consier that being an early adopter and upgrading your audio workstation whenever a new macos is released has been a bad idea for... decades (!).

Anyway, I really really hope that Ploytec can figure out a way to get the USB drivers working on macos 10.15, and also that there will be a new app available which takes over the VC functionality for firmware upgrades and backups.

An early adaptor?? What if you just got a new Mac with Catalina on it? Are you supposed to downgrade to an unsupported OS??

By the way, I own all Native Instruments plugins and they all work with Catalina! The hardware you mentioned is legacy. Something the Virus TI2 definitely is NOT! A product can only be called LEGACY 3 years after the last copy of it was sold and since the Virus line is still being sold, it is FAR from being legacy! You can say Ploytec all you want but this is on Access! They are selling the product of which they claim it should work, and it doesn't!