Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• I have some words back from Ploytec:

In short they said that Access Virus GmbH already has the new driver code for some time now. It's would only be a matter of time before they would release the macOS Catalina drivers.

I am the first to admit I was wrong about my above statements. It was my poor judgement and lack off information that made me think Access Virus GmbH wasn't working on the future of the "Virus Ti".

That's interesting. I don't think your first hypothesis was that far off the mark though.

If Access actually had the driver code for quite some time they would have had the driver finished by now..

so maybe they can't find the right man for the job within their budget?

I'm not a coder myself but from what I've gathered is that because the Virus TI chips are very old, they only support low level ''machine'' code.

Since most modern chipsets support higher level code languages like C++ It's probably very hard to find an old school programmers that can do low level coding, and if there are, they're probably quite expensive. So maybe Access isn't willing to spend as much, but publicly they don't want to burn the bridge just yet since that will hurt the sales.

• For info (since it's come up several times now), Elektron's Overbridge v2 is now out of beta. There's now an official release. So, it's no longer permanently in beta. :)

And they removed the last two Beta release threads from the forum, where you could read about all the still existing problems.... how grown up!

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• I'm not a coder myself but from what I've gathered is that because the Virus TI chips are very old, they only support low level ''machine'' code.

Since most modern chipsets support higher level code languages like C++ It's probably very hard to find an old school programmers that can do low level coding, and if there are, they're probably quite expensive. So maybe Access isn't willing to spend as much, but publicly they don't want to burn the bridge just yet since that will hurt the sales.

The driver is for the Mac side, not the TI side.

• I'm not a coder myself but from what I've gathered is that because the Virus TI chips are very old, they only support low level ''machine'' code.

No offence - but you couldn't be further from the mark with your hypothesis around "old chips" and "low level machine code" support. It doesn't work that way.

A higher-level language (such as C++) compiles down to processor byte code - it's not about the processor supporting e.g. C++ - it's about the higher-level language supporting compilation for a particular processor.

Anyway - as I understand it - the issue here is Access relied on a 3rd party for the OSX driver / USB audio integration code. It's dependent on that 3rd party making available a new release of this code for Catalina. Once this happens they are then reliant on finding a resource who can integrate this new code into their Mac Virus code base - and this in itself is a fairly big task end-to-end and they are looking to hire (maybe).

• I would also pay for a future support on Virus software. If they would Hire a tech support guy, who would make the updates coming. We Virus users would definitely pay He's / Her's salary.

BUT....I also think that as long as you sell Virus TI2 as a company, you should offer free updates coming. It's not fair that one buys expensive device and not be able to use drivers.

• No offence - but you couldn't be further from the mark with your hypothesis around "old chips" and "low level machine code" support. It doesn't work that way.

A higher-level language (such as C++) compiles down to processor byte code - it's not about the processor supporting e.g. C++ - it's about the higher-level language supporting compilation for a particular processor.

Anyway - as I understand it - the issue here is Access relied on a 3rd party for the OSX driver / USB audio integration code. It's dependent on that 3rd party making available a new release of this code for Catalina. Once this happens they are then reliant on finding a resource who can integrate this new code into their Mac Virus code base - and this in itself is a fairly big task end-to-end and they are looking to hire (maybe).

no offense taken. That makes sense.

Still, as I see it now, we probably won't see another release until months after that vacancy is filled..

• I have some words back from Ploytec:

In short they said that Access Virus GmbH already has the new driver code for some time now. It's would only be a matter of time before they would release the macOS Catalina drivers.

I am the first to admit I was wrong about my above statements. It was my poor judgement and lack off information that made me think Access Virus GmbH wasn't working on the future of the "Virus Ti".

Interesting... Anyone know if any Kemper products use the same USB driver? fairly likely and there have been updates since Catalina there.. Maybe sorting Kemper first?

• I don't normally post in forums, but would like to voice my support for Access (as soon as possible) developing and releasing an update to the software to provide compatibility with OSX Catalina. I would happily pay for a software update that allowed me to use my Virus again. Right now my Polar, which is really the most important instrument I have in my studio, is basically unusable because of timing lags.

I've read all the threads on this issue here in the Access forums. I've switched outputs from USB to audio, but that hasn't helped. I can select patches in my Polar via the software, but it is impossible to use the Polar keyboard to input midi tracks because there is a significant delay in the Polar responding to real-time midi input routed through Logic. There is also a lag if I use another controller keyboard with the midi routed to the Polar, so that work-around wasn't successful. Interestingly, though, there isn't a problem using the Polar as a controller keyboard for software instruments or for my Minitaur.

Anyway, I'm a patient person and I really do appreciate the amazing quality of the Polar. Have never regretted purchasing it. But, would really, really, like to be able to get it functional again. X/

• I don't normally post in forums, but would like to voice my support for Access (as soon as possible) developing and releasing an update to the software to provide compatibility with OSX Catalina. I would happily pay for a software update that allowed me to use my Virus again. Right now my Polar, which is really the most important instrument I have in my studio, is basically unusable because of timing lags.

I've read all the threads on this issue here in the Access forums. I've switched outputs from USB to audio, but that hasn't helped. I can select patches in my Polar via the software, but it is possible to use the Polar keyboard to input midi tracks because there is a significant delay in the Polar responding to real-time midi input routed through Logic. There is also a lag if I use another controller keyboard with the midi routed to the Polar, so that work-around wasn't successful. Interestingly, though, there isn't a problem using the Polar as a controller keyboard for software instruments or for my Minitaur.

Anyway, I'm a patient person and I really do appreciate the amazing quality of the Polar. Have never regretted purchasing it. But, would really, really, like to be able to get it functional again. X/

Yep agreed - and I'd also be prepared to pay a nominal fee (e.g. £50 - maybe £100). However given they are still selling Access Virus TI's (ok MK-II - but surely the software is the same despite the DSP bump) - I don't see why we should particularly.

I'm getting frustrated with companies writing off their own computer integrated hardware far too soon - or stopping support for the latest OS's - e.g. Native Instruments (Kore-II / Maschine MK1) - and Steinberg (MR816). I really hope Access will do the right thing here and keep the faith.

• Interesting... Anyone know if any Kemper products use the same USB driver? fairly likely and there have been updates since Catalina there.. Maybe sorting Kemper first?

The Kemper Amps don't transfer any audio via USB. I couldn't find any USB driver at all in fact! I think the amps are simple class compliant USB ports and all the Rig Manager software is doing is simply transferring data to the amp.

• No offence - but you couldn't be further from the mark with your hypothesis around "old chips" and "low level machine code" support. It doesn't work that way.

As Ploytec told me, Access Virus GmbH has the new OSX core audio code for the USB audio part. As I saw a interview with Kemper, he told straight that his focus is not on "Access Virus" anymore, but on the Kemper products now. This maybe explains the lack of support and development of new drivers. I really was hoping on a Access Virus Ti3.. but a person only can dream right?

• The Kemper Amps don't transfer any audio via USB. I couldn't find any USB driver at all in fact! I think the amps are simple class compliant USB ports and all the Rig Manager software is doing is simply transferring data to the amp.

Ok well that's actually great (just device and patch management?), good sign we will have compatibility eventually and that they are making sure it will work properly not just updating the driver.

USB Audio is also essential to my sound as it means my Virus basically has my high end converters not on board conversion and that's a part of what keeps it up to date in sound quality...

I'd also be happy to pay for updates and further development, happy to prepay or pay a yearly subscription for regular, on time updates.

Must be one of the best times in history for a company to release a new hardware synth too!

• I have read through this entire thread.

I have a TI2 desktop

on several occasions almost purchased a Ti2 Keyboard,

but incompatibility with my new Mac at this time, it is disconcerting, to say the least,

I sincerely hope an update for Catalina is coming at some point,

Please release an update Access Music!

• Just discovered that activating Live mode fixes the problem of the lag with the Virus responding to Midi when using Catalina and Logic Pro X. I confirmed that the timing of the recorded midi data is good. Virus is now usable for me again using audio outs instead of usb audio. Would still really, really appreciate getting updated software from Access that is compatible with Catalina.

• Guys, I haven't read the whole topic, please clarify: does the virus plugin open inside your DAW, so you can edit sounds and patches and send audio to analog outs, or the plugin doesn't open at all, and all that you have is just midi keyboard instead of your virus synth?

Have just purchased the new 16" macbook with Catalina so reverting to Mojave is not an option, and the plugin says "no virus found". But I still can work on my windows PC, so for the time being I would be satisfied with working via audio outs on my MAC and then rendering the whole thing on my PC via usb audio.

P.S. I wish luck to Access Music team solving this issue and releasing a working driver, since TI is my favourite synth ever (so far), and the most update software synths such as Serum still haven't got certain features (formant complex oscillators for instance). BUT, guys, it would be awesome if you could update your clients with some information once in a while. Just saying "yes, we're working on it, doing this and that", would be fair to your clients and fans. Thank you.

• Just discovered that activating Live mode fixes the problem of the lag with the Virus responding to Midi when using Catalina and Logic Pro X. I confirmed that the timing of the recorded midi data is good. Virus is now usable for me again using audio outs instead of usb audio. Would still really, really appreciate getting updated software from Access that is compatible with Catalina.

That's great that it works for you, but the Analog Outs don't have PDC (plugin delay compensation) due to hardware limitations (confirmed by Access), so you're still left with a fluctuating lag when using Live mode.

The best I got with MacOS Catalina is a lag fluctuating around 13 ms, but this changes every other count, so you can't rely on it. That's the most annoying part. What delay times are you getting and what's your setup if I may ask?

• Guys, I haven't read the whole topic, please clarify: does the virus plugin open inside your DAW, so you can edit sounds and patches and send audio to analog outs, or the plugin doesn't open at all, and all that you have is just midi keyboard instead of your virus synth?

It does open, so by using the Analog Outs you can still edit patches.

• As Ploytec told me, Access Virus GmbH has the new OSX core audio code for the USB audio part. As I saw a interview with Kemper, he told straight that his focus is not on "Access Virus" anymore, but on the Kemper products now. This maybe explains the lack of support and development of new drivers. I really was hoping on a Access Virus Ti3.. but a person only can dream right?

Honestly - I'm not bothered about a Ti3 - but the fact remains people are still actively selling Virus Ti2 synths listed as Mac compatible- e.g. on the Thomann site.

All new Mac computers ship with the Catalina Operating System. Therefore I simply can't accept that Access could simply ignore this issue and only focus on Kemper products now.

Either they are planning to address the issue with Catalina and update the Ti software - or they need to stop selling Ti2 hardware as being Mac compatible. I honestly suspect they are trying to update the software for Catalina - but who knows - they need to communicate better around this.