Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• woah woah, wait a minute!!! So the TI plug in doesn't work yeah? But the usb audio DOES? And does the usb midi work? In other words could you set it up as a virtual instrument in Logic then? And does Big Sur recognise all three usb audio outs?

• This is GREAT news! I hope Access hasn't given up and start working on the Big Sur compatibility. Forget Catalina lol

• woah woah, wait a minute!!! So the TI plug in doesn't work yeah? But the usb audio DOES? And does the usb midi work? In other words could you set it up as a virtual instrument in Logic then? And does Big Sur recognise all three usb audio outs?

Yes, USB audio does work. But let’s not cheer too early, the whole plugin simply crashes while validating and judging from the error report it tries to run the plugin as a VM because Apple now deems usage of .kext files unsafe. Since the VC is based around usage of .kext it needs to be largely rewritten probably. Not sure about midi and multiple outs.. I already removed the beta for now tbh..

• Interesting. Does USB Audio also work in the Plugin?

Now it won't show up at all. Audio out was working and it showed 6 Inputs 2 Outputs in Audio Midi Setup, it could be used as a sound card with a FRESH Catalina install. I installed the Virus Software and it broke it, uninstalled it, now it won't show up at all in audio. Im gonna have to fresh install now to keep it active in audio so that I can copy over whatever it is the virus program broke..

UPDATE: I ran the Catalina installer again, chose my existing mac install and it just overwrote it and kept my data / programs :) So, I can use the Virus TI as a sound card again using 10.15.5 ! If you want to at least use it as a sound card, uninstall the Virus TI software, and then run the Catalina installer so you have a "fresh install" but it will keep your programs and such.

• With catalina 10.15.5, and NO install of the virus tools, i see the virus as a sound card, and it can playback sounds ok from Youtube for example.

However, i'm unable to record any audio from the virus into my DAW using this method.

I am assuming i need to install the virus control center for MIDI to work, because as of now, my Virus TI is NOT being recognized as a midi device at all. I have not validated if installing the virus software gets midi working because I didn't want to install since the Virus web site says don't install on catalina.

If i could get this to work in these ways

1. Recognize the audio coming directly out of the USB audio generated by the device

+

2. MIDI capabilities

that would be a fine substitution for 'total integration' but i can't seem to have that working. Will wait a bit longer i guess to see what happens.

• yeah do NOT install anything from Access or it will completely break even being able to use it as a sound card. I had to reinstall Catalina 10.15.5 to fix it even after uninstalling Access stuff

• Okay so false alarm.

Don't listen to Ascend. There is literally zero point in using the Virus as a soundcard. Installed or not, this does not influence the capability of using the Virus as a midi instrument. Midi in/out still works wether the software is installed or not. Obviously you can't use the Virus as a midi interface in order to send midi signals to itself.

You still need a midi + audio interface, preferably one with 6 balanced inputs. (TRS)

• So is the verdict that in 10.15.5, USB MIDI directly from the virus does not work? So, in order to use the virus TI as a midi device, you have to use midi out into yet another USB controller that connects to the computer, instead of just simply using the USB-MIDI capabilities built-in to the Virus TI?

• skittb123 you’re not understanding. The software BREAKS the ability to get any sound out of the Virus. Even after you uninstall it. Previously you couldn’t even get sound coming through the USB. I’m showing you that the native Catalina drivers recognize the virus as a sound card and there is absolutely a point to using it as one. It was my exclusive sound card previously and others also.

I’m warning people not to install the software until Access updates it or they’re gonna have to reinstall the whole OS to fix what the program breaks just like I did.

rdobda usb midi won’t work with or without the program but the program will break other things. Don’t install it.

• Could you please give a detailed step-by-step instruction? I've managed to install Win10 on WMware, run Audiorgidder server on Win and a VST on Mac, but still can't make vst communicate with server... Feels like i have to shit on my face to use my TI ;(

• As optimistic as I am I decided to give the Beta a try to see what changed regarding the Virus TI. Unfortunately I am sad to inform you guys that on MacOS Big Sur Beta, The Virus TI software now completely ceased working. The installer can only run by turning off System Integrity and while it does install the VST, VST3 and AU plugins, only AU is actually recognized by plugin validation. I’ve tried this in Studio One and Logic Pro and both just crash while trying to open the plugin. The VST and VST3 version don’t even make it to the validation process.

And that could be the reason why we still haven't heard anything from Access: Imagine they fix it for Catalina and it breaks again for Big Sur...

Not happy with the idea of a half baked substitite, I still hope for a real TI solution.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Could you please give a detailed step-by-step instruction? I've managed to install Win10 on WMware, run Audiorgidder server on Win and a VST on Mac, but still can't make vst communicate with server... Feels like i have to shit on my face to use my TI ;(

You need to install the 'vmware tools' in your virtual Win10 from the 'virtual machine' menu.

In the vmware settings make sure that a network adapter is configured for win10. I have it set to 'share with my Mac'

You need to know the IP-address of the Win10 virtual server: https://www.groovypost.com/how…ows-10-device-ip-address/

Make sure AudioGridder server is running on win10. Go to you DAW on the Mac and then I run the Agridder AU instrument. Click on the little icon next to 'not connected' then on 'Add' and type in the IP-address of Win10. If all goes well you should be able to connect now.

Did it work? (I'm not in the studio right now so I cannot find more details). If it worked it might be handy to configure Win10 so it has a static IP address, otherwise it might change and then you have to find out the address again and you need to set up the AudioGridder plugin again.

• And that could be the reason why we still haven't heard anything from Access: Imagine they fix it for Catalina and it breaks again for Big Sur...

That's not really an excuse for the radio silence we've had last year. I also don't think Access could've anticipated this.. I'm sure Apple's announcements were just as much a surprise to developers.

Zitat

Not happy with the idea of a half baked substitite, I still hope for a real TI solution.

100% Agree!

• yeah I think most of us could live with that. at least give us a properly working VC editor/Plugin

There is actually a Virus library manager called the "Access VirusHC Editor & Librarian" by MysteryIslands Music. Give it a search. Though I have not used it myself, it seems to be a great solution; it also works for old models. :)

• There is actually a Virus library manager called the "Access VirusHC Editor & Librarian" by MysteryIslands Music. Give it a search. Though I have not used it myself, it seems to be a great solution; it also works for old models. :)

If you haven't used it yourself you aren't really in the position to recommend it. I have tried it. Same midi timing problems and crashes when you try to save a patch. Also can't save patches in your songs.

• Mystery Islands Music is supposed to released a new Virus editor soon.

https://www.mysteryislands-mus…librarian-v2-coming-soon/

That wouldn't solve Access' "total integration" fail, but I'll give it a try for sure as soon as it's available to check timing and stability issues skittb123 mentioned.

Many thanks JetStarfire for this info :thumbup:

It kinda works as-is, but it's a bit buggy. What I really want from it, is the capability to load from .mid bank files. I have a load of presets I've worked on over the years, which are saved on my Mac.

If the plug-in version works too, that will be great.