Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• Das hat alles überhaupt nichts mit meinem Post zu tun.

Hast Du den nicht gelesen, oder einfach nur nicht verstanden?

Deine Aussage:

Access Music has not developed the drivers themselves and does

currently not have any in-house development resources available for the task.

Access macht nur noch Bau und Lagerung der Geräte.

Bei Kemper wird entwickelt und mehr.

Dieses Team ist dann seit 2017 mit dem KemperProfiler beschäftigt oder wie soll ich das sehen ?

Bullshit ... die verarschen uns.

• It's kinda laughable now.

I've almost retired my Virus Ti. Very rarely turn it on now. Used to be my main work-horse.

That's very sad.. :( I'm probably very stubborn but it's still my go-to synth... even though I had to buy a Presonus Quantum 2626 audio interface and Cubase 10.5 for it.. and now that I think about it that's also kind of ridiculous.. since Big Sur will probably make it completely useless... :cursing:

• We really do need an answer and a timeframe from Access on when they will get this resolved and if they plan on doing an end of life for the TI series. It's very poor on their part to maintain radio silence for so long on this matter.

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• How can access sell virus products when it’s not supported ! Do they know how many customers they making upset ? People still buying and Access is not doing anything about it ! How am I going to use my Virus TI 2 now ? I don’t want to deal with the midi and sync issues I prefer the usb I think we all deserve an answer from Access !

• am trying to understand will the virus TI at least work as midi ? Or does it completely stop working with Catalina /Big Sur ? I don’t want to use midi cables and audio cables I only want to use the usb option. It’s my main midi controller and if the case this is a big problem can someone please confirm ? Thanks

• Sold my virus guys i ain't waiting any longer. I'm absolute gutted, worked so hard to buy thus been let down big time. i suggest you all do the same. Access as a company you are a piece of shit.:thumbdown:

Just curious.. Have you found a good alternative for the Virus? (hardware or software) I've found Dune to come close but still not quite..

• Just curious.. Have you found a good alternative for the Virus? (hardware or software) I've found Dune to come close but still not quite..

IMO, there are plenty of software alternatives. Serum comes to mind first, and Massive / Massive X is probably even the better VA/Wavetable synth overall. And then there's FM8 to cover all your FM needs. However, if you are looking for hardware (with full DAW integration), nothing comes close to the Virus TI's features and flexibility: VA/Wavetable/FM Synth, pretty flexible Modulation Matrix, tons of effects, even offering decent Reverbs, 16 Part multi-timbral, lots of control knobs... the Kyra comes close, but it offers no DAW integration at all.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I don't understand why people are saying that it doesn't work with Catalina? I'm using my TI2 with every DAW.

What exact version of Mac OS are you running?

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• IMO, there are plenty of software alternatives. Serum comes to mind first, and Massive / Massive X is probably even the better VA/Wavetable synth overall. And then there's FM8 to cover all your FM needs. However, if you are looking for hardware (with full DAW integration), nothing comes close to the Virus TI's features and flexibility: VA/Wavetable/FM Synth, pretty flexible Modulation Matrix, tons of effects, even offering decent Reverbs, 16 Part multi-timbral, lots of control knobs... the Kyra comes close, but it offers no DAW integration at all.

I legally own all of the products you mention except for Kyra but none of them are a replacement to the Virus in terms of ''sound''. Yes I know that is a vague term, but try making a lead as ''fat'' and wide in any of the mentioned plugins. The recipe for the Virus Sound seems simple: the Hypersaw Osc, the The unison that individually pans the voices, , and the especially filter envelopes and the distortion inside the filters. Like I said, Dune comes very close in terms of this functionality, -and in somer aspects it's better- yet it still doesn't sound like a Virus. That's not to sound it's impossible to almost recreate those sounds, but takes a lot more time. If there was a good alternative I would've jumped the bandwagon already.

• I legally own all of the products you mention except for Kyra but none of them are a replacement to the Virus in terms of ''sound''.

Did you also try ANA 2.0?

Anyway, its sound is possibly the reason why the Virus is probably the most famous and widely used hardware VA synth for over almost twenty years and has not been replaced by any VST or other hardware synth.

https://www.soundandrecording.…ell-analoger-synthesizer/

• I simply can't stand it any longer friends...

It's been almost a year now since my beloved Virus Ti2 Darkstar became nothing more than a lonely dust catcher in my studio. All my other synths have been happily gurgling, bleeping and generally making delightful synth sounds together since last December (2019) when the last Catalina hold out, my Roland System-8, finally had Catalina compatible drivers released by Roland.

Indulge me for a moment whilst I quote from page 12 of the Virus Ti Quickstart manual... "Access Music is famous for improving their products via free updates to the operating system. " Admittedly that manual was produced in 2009 as stated on page 9 "© Copyright 2009 Kemper Digital GmbH. All rights reserved." and it's now over ten years later. As we all know the last OS update released by Access (Kemper Digital) was 5.1.7.00 back in 2017, three years ago at time of writing. It still had 32 bit components that everything relied on in order to work so let's face it, the writing was on the wall and we shouldn't have been too surprised when the 64 bit only Catalina macOS appeared and Total Integration, one of the stand out features of the synth, simply didn't work anymore.

Whilst all of us on this forum are Mac users that own an Access Music Virus synth of some flavour, it time to face facts my friends. Total Integration is no more, in my case I now own a Virus 2 Darkstar!! :) And that's really the point of this post that you are reading. You still own one of the best synths EVER made. Like.... ever! It's a synth classic there is simply no denying that right?

Of course I'm super annoyed that after asking Access Music over and over again only to receive near as dammit zero replies to anything asked whatsoever, researching information about the Mac drivers (written by Ploytec) and asking them what the story is now that they have said to more than one of us here that they have given Access Music the Catalina audio drivers required... what's the point in getting frustrated anymore? Really? As I've previously written TI is gone, dead, over... but we still all have a great synth!

So am I selling mine? No. I'm lucky enough to have a Focusrite Scarlett interface with enough audio inputs and midi built in, so I'm giving up on Access Music to provide an updated Catalina driver & I'm buying the Mystery Islands plugin, a couple of long midi leads, and six very long audio jack leads. Yes it's going to cost me over £100 all together but guess what?

I'll be able to use my Virus 2 Darkstar again. Welcome back old friend.

I respectfully suggest that you consider doing something similar, and be happy again! :)

• I'm buying the Mystery Islands plugin

Good luck. I own it and version V2.0 (beta)is very unstable and crashes Logic and Cubase all the time. On version V1.5 saving patches is a nightmare. Sometimes it does save and sometimes it doesn't. You might as well give up on the idea of a TI like setup & go midi only..