Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• Good luck. I own it and version V2.0 (beta)is very unstable and crashes Logic and Cubase all the time. On version V1.5 saving patches is a nightmare. Sometimes it does save and sometimes it doesn't. You might as well give up on the idea of a TI like setup & go midi only..

Is that via USB MIDI or actual MIDI In/Out?

• Is that via USB MIDI or actual MIDI In/Out?

I'm using USB Midi now as actual Midi In/Out is even worse. Both are very laggy but at least using USB Midi doesn't crash the V1.5 plugin as often. The plugin can still find it's uses in projects, as long as you export your sounds. VirusHC 1.5 and 2.0 are still very unreliable when it comes to saving patches.

• skittb123

Do you have any folders within in your Patches folder? If so then that's why buddy! I discovered that this evening when I fired up the v2 beta for the first time, it was driving me insane with it crashing whenever I tried to select anything else in the Patch Librarian.

As soon as I removed any of my folders within the main Patches folder and restarted the plugin, all was well! I know right‽!! Super silly.

I then started to move all of my patch bank .mid files into the main Patches folder, a few 'letters' worth at a time, and then I fired up the plugin. In other words, any patch .mid file that started with 'a' and so on until 'd' I copied into Patches, then I fired up the plugin. Move to different banks, patches, played around, you get the idea... all was well. Then I repeated the process until I finally reached any patch bank .mid file that began with 'z'.

It took a while as I wanted to make sure I wasn't just getting lucky, but no..... that's the culprit to the crashing, in my case anyway.... folders within the main 'Patches' folder.

I've been playing with v2 of the Mystery Islands Virus plugin now for a few hours.... not a single crash. Not even when trying to push it by using different sounds playing out of different audio outputs at different times as well. It worked for me no worries. I've also passed on my findings to whatisface, I forget the developers name now sorry, so he can improve it.

What I'm basically saying is.. for me... and I can only speak for me.... the Mystery Islands plugin is working perfectly once I'd figured out what was causing it to crash!!

Hope that helps,

Tobes

• I have an old Mac Pro tower I use with Mojave purely for Music.

The plugin under Mojave is unstable and very slow. It will take about sometimes 2 to 3 minutes to start up the plugin in Logic.

I have been looking into different solutions to get my virus working on Catalina / Big Sur (did some beta's here and there). The Mystery Islands plugins are really unstable for me and there is a big hassle to use it (create 3 tracks), the should have integrated that you could select audio input in the plugin itself and re-route it to the Virtual Instrument Channel.

Another option I have been looking into was some kind of patch management software like back in the day "SoundDiver". I couldn't find anything that could help me manage patches/multis for any of my synths. I don't mind having an stand-alone application for patch management. If anyone got suggestions for this?

Like DJTobes I am annoyed mostly by the non-communication, if they stopped development just say so. If they are having problems, just let the community know, maybe we can even help finding solutions. Another option would have been releasing the plugins/drivers as open source so we could as community can do it what they aren't doing.

• I don't mind having an stand-alone application for patch management. If anyone got suggestions for this?

I'm currently working on a new update for "Touch for Virus" which runs on iPadOS. This version will add an import feature for patch libraries in midi format. This has been the most requested feature since I've released the first version.

This means you can eassely import all the patches you have available in the vst plugin.

You might or might not want to use an iPad in your setup, I don't know. Just in case it sounds interesting to you: this update is finished, and I'm testing it right now. I expect it to be released somewhere this month.

• I am still on Mojave, and beside the lack of power, TI works perfectly (expect when there are buffer or sample rate problems..., but a restart solve them).

This synth sounds amazing, no other hard or soft I could mention on this level, but when it comes to usability... I don't remember when I was able to use more than two part at the same time.

This gear is the only thing in the studio that hold me back from upgrading os.

Anyone on Catalina or Big Sur tried Sound Radix 32 Lives?

• Like DJTobes I am annoyed mostly by the non-communication, if they stopped development just say so. If they are having problems, just let the community know, maybe we can even help finding solutions. Another option would have been releasing the plugins/drivers as open source so we could as community can do it what they aren't doing.

Exactly! Some transparency from Access is required here. Just let your userbase know if you plan to find a solution or not.

• I've recently bought a new Darkstar as part of my mobile rig so my ageing 2005 Polar can be retired from travel and gigging work next year. I've done this in spite of any updates on Access' front as the Virus has been a core component of my sound for a decade now. I seriously hope they will get their act together and fix this soon.

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• here in italy Virus TI 2 Polar is sold around 2.300-2400€.

I can understand we (with 10-15 y.o.instruments) are all disappointed...

But how ACCESS can face in front of people who buy this for so much money, because of the "TOTAL INTEGRATION" and then realize they sell something that do not work?

:(

• legally they should not advertise or sell the virus line up without mentioning that it only works as midi and no longer support the current day systems. Other than that it’s misleading and giving stocks to outlets is misleading and unfair. They should just raise the flag and close the shop that’s the position they in Right now they just give up ! Please announce your discontinuation and closing of shop so we understand this is really a bad experience. You think you can float the ship with no captain and hope you make more money. Just announce it’s over and retire so we can move on.

• legally they should not advertise or sell the virus line up without mentioning that it only works as midi and no longer support the current day systems.

You are aware that it works just fine with Windows?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Wie heißt gleich nochmal das Thema , oliAtBass ? ;)

legally they should not advertise or sell the virus line up without mentioning that it only works as midi and no longer support the current day systems.

Which is not true at all: It works with current day Windows systems. Regardless of the subject.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• You are aware that it works just fine with Windows?

That's beside the point. The fact the Virus is still being marketed as being compatible with Windows AND Mac, is misleading. All new Macs today are shipped with Catalina and cannot downgrade. How in earth should the average customer know it may not even work with their Mac? Heck, they even use the term ''lifetime free upgrades'', which we've seen is simply not true. You could argue that this actually falls under deception towards the consumer.

• Which is not true at all: It works with current day Windows systems. Regardless of the subject.

How is this not true? Marketing a product as working a certain way while it doesn't, is deception. Simple as that. Besides that, You've seen the subject of this thread right? It's great for Windows users that the TI software works, but it's not relevant for this specific thread.

• Which is not true at all: It works with current day Windows systems. Regardless of the subject.

your argument is not valid , you in The wrong thread maybe read the subject . Let them mention then to suppliers and all selling platform that this synth doesn’t work with Mac OS Current day systems , it’s outdated , it just work for windows. Still illegal selling it the way it is now with no disclaimer. You have Windows good for you but you might want to consider other people with your arguments.

• You have Windows good for you but you might want to consider other people with your arguments.

Read my signature.