Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• Sometimes if I am only using my Virus IT 61 I select it as audio interface in Ableton and then connect the Outputs of the Virus to it's own inputs, with that I can use it incl. Midi and it works quite well.

I'm surprised you got that to work since Apple discontinued support for HAL plugins in Catalina.

But the method you're describing is the same principle as just using a normal audio interface for the analog outs though. Nothing new.

This does not fix the midi timing problem. This is a problem with the VirusVC plugin. When using the plugin, your host can't send midi directly to the virus. Only through the plugin.

• I'm surprised you got that to work since Apple discontinued support for HAL plugins in Catalina.

But the method you're describing is the same principle as just using a normal audio interface for the analog outs though. Nothing new.

This does not fix the midi timing problem. This is a problem with the VirusVC plugin. When using the plugin, your host can't send midi directly to the virus. Only through the plugin.

If the audio started working outside of the plugin and breaks on installing of the plugin, I can only think of one reason:

Newest update of MacOS comes with native drivers for the sound interface that is used for audio over USB in the virus. When you install the virus plugins the audio drivers of MacOS are overridden, this explains why the audio interface stops working after install.

Now I got maybe an idea, I could test out if replacing the audio drivers in the virus install to the new MacOS drivers (or those of the manufacturer of the audio interface). It really depends on how deep the integration is of the audio driver in the code of the virus, and if they use the same API calls. If I only had the source code I would be able to fix this shit myself. It would be an amazing compromise if they released the source-code, under a license you have to release an app for free. What worries me too is that they lost the source code and maybe this is the reason why no updates are coming out...

• Possible way to get Virus Control and Audio working in Catelina:

If anybody has tried this and it doesn't work, let me know what issues you encountered. Once I try this and it works, i'll report back on my findings.

General Plan:

- Install a virtual machine running and older compatible version of Mac OSX inside Catelina using VMware Fusion

- Install Ableton and Virus VST inside that virtual machine.

- Link the Ableton inside the virtual machine to my Ableton running in Catelina using MIDI over LAN (lookup tutorials on how to do this)

What I'll be able to do:

1-Keep the timeline of both machines perfectly in sync using Ableton’s built-in clock.

2-Change your keys presets automatically using the Chain Selector

3-Remotely trigger your other machine using MIDI. (Think selecting scenes from a spot in your arrangement, or turning on/off a track, or adjusting an effect on your keys computer at the exact same moment every set)

4-Send MIDI between machines. Imagine being able to play sounds from your keys computer, from your tracks computer.

I think this will work

• I'm surprised you got that to work since Apple discontinued support for HAL plugins in Catalina.

I did not say that it fixes anything, just a different approach. In the end I am using a Behringer audio interface with midi and the editor from Mystery Island, the new beta works really nice.

• I did that a few days ago. Running Mojave in VMWare Fusion, installed Access Software and Live lite, so far only used it to backup the Virus but that worked great...

• I have a 2018 Mac mini that still has the "old" USB connectors, 2 of them. Fusion will ask if you want to connect the USB to the host or the guest, when you start the control center the Virus will go into a different mode (not in front of me right now) and Fusion will ask again because it detects a "new" device.

It should work with a USB-C to USB-B cable or adapter no problem

• OK Big Sur is released as well as Logic Pro 10.6. I can't install the new version of Logic because I'm stuck on 10.14.6 to keep my Virus TI compatible.

Access, why don't you update the plugin? Is that a money issue? Would it help to create a fundraising page?

You can run Logic Pro X 10.5.1 with Mojave, 10.6 breaks the compatibility with Mojave. So you and I are stuck with Logic Pro 10.5.1 and Mojave, if we want to keep using the virus Ti.

I have been looking into hacking the drivers a bit, but problem is the solution would be that we have to disable system integration protection. As when I make changes to these kernel extensions, the are no longer signed correctly to be loaded. Also Big Sur dropped support for kernel extensions, giving no option to make this work on Big Sur.

Still annoying that nobody of Access GmbH takes the time to help us get to a workable solution, without having to stick with old OS or anything else. Making the source code of the plugin public would go a long way, as I and some others here have the knowhow to create a working driver and release this free and open for everybody to contribute and make better.

• Hi DizX,

I wouldn't care about system integrity protection if I could make the Virus TI plugin work. What kind of changes are you trying to make to the kernel extensions?

Yes, the complete lack of communication from Access is disturbing. I'm shopping for an Amp modeler and was considering purchasing a Kemper, but I will certainly buy the Positive Grid BIAS head or the Line 6 Helix instead.

I've never seen such a lack of communication from a company before. It looks like they really don't care about their customers.

• 1 year with total des -integration.

im angry because they dont talk anything and they dont stop selling unit. with the Big OS X problem about Catalina and big surf.

Im thinking access will died to me.

I love my virus ti 2 but im tired wait wait wait

access we need the true fuck , you can be honest with us ? 1 year waiting guys

if you cant fix the problem , please you Must info us and we can change windows or i can sell my virus ti also

• I have been looking into hacking the drivers a bit, but problem is the solution would be that we have to disable system integration protection.

I've looked into this myself too and it is indeed true that the ''348SCJ68PR - de.access-music.virus_ti.driver.audio:'' driver is not signed and you can bypass this by disabling system integration.

When doing so I've actually gotten to the point that Logic Pro X recognizes the Virus TI plugin during validation (!), but when validating it crashes immediately giving a long error report. The error report mostly gives a long list of MacOS framework files the plugin cannot find since they're not at the same place they're referenced at.. Not sure if those framework files are stored somewhere else in MacOS 11, or they're simply not there at all anymore..

• You can run Logic Pro X 10.5.1 with Mojave, 10.6 breaks the compatibility with Mojave. So you and I are stuck with Logic Pro 10.5.1 and Mojave, if we want to keep using the virus Ti.

I have been looking into hacking the drivers a bit, but problem is the solution would be that we have to disable system integration protection. As when I make changes to these kernel extensions, the are no longer signed correctly to be loaded. Also Big Sur dropped support for kernel extensions, giving no option to make this work on Big Sur.

Still annoying that nobody of Access GmbH takes the time to help us get to a workable solution, without having to stick with old OS or anything else. Making the source code of the plugin public would go a long way, as I and some others here have the knowhow to create a working driver and release this free and open for everybody to contribute and make better.

Same for us in 3!! studios! It's a shame!!! Access give us honest info NOW!

• A follow up to my post above. I bought Navira!

It's brilliant, no really, it's exceptionally good, maybe a little bright at times but nothing that the built in eq didn't sort out. And yes, it really can emulate the Virus hyper saw and filters, yeah I know what you're thinking, but it's true! I know for a fact because I've just spent £124 so you lot didn't have to :)

If Access don't provide the Mac community with updated drivers by around Christmas then my days with my old faithful Virus Ti2 DarkStar are over. I'll just sell it.

Where did you buy it? I can't buy it over their website, when I click the buy link the whole page reloads. I am very interested in it!