Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• and on the same page, further down, they state:

macOS Big Sur 11 no longer loads kernel extensions, it's not possible to provide an update for Big Sur. Still, we have plans to keep the driver updated for earlier versions of Mac OS X.

So, that’s the end of the TI on macOS.

Time for a MIDI Over USB only version then. Like we requested several years ago.

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• Hi ChrisCabbage,

I have just come back to the TI2 and realised that it won't work with Big Sur. I am OK for the moment having an old Mac with High Sierra.

Good to hear that you might consider developing something for the Mac.

I have heard of Solar 3D and have just sent them a message as to whether their standalone will work via USB on Big Sur.

I have been involved in many software projects on the Mac and iOS - so I would be happy to FUND development for such a project.

Lately I have been developing using XOJO - powerful and friendly compared to Xcode.

Please let me know if you are keen.

John

• I'm afraid my plate's full. I work full-time as a software engineer, have a family and am a councillor. Funding development of something is a good idea I think, but I'm afraid I have neither the time nor the expertise in MacOS development. Sorry!

• For info, an Elektron guy's just posted on their forum. They're doing their own thing with their new driver and so are leaving Ploytec behind. So, they have a solution for their kit.

Care to link it?

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• Post 159-ish in here:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t…-macos-big-sur/140193/176"The solution includes a brand new driver that moves away from kernel extensions which were deprecated with Mac OS Big Sur. Our new driver is made with modern technologies and makes development easier which in turn helps us to deliver a solution of higher quality."

Seeing as they were using the same driver as Access perhaps Access can license that code from them for the same compatibility.

• Seeing as they were using the same driver as Access perhaps Access can license that code from them for the same compatibility.

...or Native Instruments’s investment group could buy the Virus code from Access and turn it into a VST3 to run on a future keyboard based on the Maschine+ platform.

Freakish but not impossible.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Post 159-ish in here:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t…-macos-big-sur/140193/176"The solution includes a brand new driver that moves away from kernel extensions which were deprecated with Mac OS Big Sur. Our new driver is made with modern technologies and makes development easier which in turn helps us to deliver a solution of higher quality."

There we go - as we've discussed - Apple are just forcing the move to user-mode drivers. Sure it means previous KEXT drivers will no longer work in the future - but it doesn't explain why Ploytec state this on their website:

"macOS Big Sur 11 no longer loads kernel extensions, it's not possible to provide an update for Big Sur. Still, we have plans to keep the driver updated for earlier versions of Mac OS X."

Surely this is nothing more than a cop-out from Ploytec - sure, they need to significantly refactor their Mac drivers going forward - but they can't be bothered?

• ...or Native Instruments’s investment group could buy the Virus code from Access and turn it into a VST3 to run on a future keyboard based on the Maschine+ platform.

Freakish but not impossible.

Nice idea, but NI have a pretty poor track record supporting their own computer integrated hardware, let along take on an offering from another company.

* I invested in Kore 2 for example - and this was abandoned by NI after a while.

* Similarly support for my Machine MK1 hardware has also been officially terminated (although there may be workarounds).

As with Access's support for the latest Mac OS's - all of this just puts you off buying hardware that relies on computer integration. It's not that cheap - and we've lost all trust in the vendors providing long term support.

• Surely this is nothing more than a cop-out from Ploytec - sure, they need to significantly refactor their Mac drivers going forward - but they can't be bothered?

Which means that they either don’t have the engineering skills (anymore) to do it and/or providing MIDI and audio drivers for other companies isn’t that much of a business case anymore.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• The best solution would be a class compliant MIDI over USB only USB with a plug-in and new librarian app really. This would make the TI series future-proof

• If they are giving up, they should just be transparent and tell us.

I agree.. but they won't.

Access is a dead company as far as I'm concerned.

If you wanna be productive, just accept that fact, and convert to one of the alternatives already: Midiquest, VirusHC, CTRLR or Solar3d. (hate to plug just one)

I've already finished some tracks this year. It took some time to get into the flow again but in the in the end I'm back to making music, and that's what matters.