Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• I agree.. but they won't.

Access is a dead company as far as I'm concerned.

If you wanna be productive, just accept that fact, and convert to one of the alternatives already: Midiquest, VirusHC, CTRLR or Solar3d. (hate to plug just one)

I've already finished some tracks this year. It took some time to get into the flow again but in the in the end I'm back to making music, and that's what matters.

Maybe - but it’s still a tough pill to swallow. It’s a less polished / integrated solution and the number of.analogue outputs on the Virus and how many input channels are available on our audio interfaces is a big factor. It’s not what we paid for at the end of the day.

• I just bought a Mac, coming from windows for my music production and just find out that the virus TI is not compatible with Big Sur. I was really happy with my Mac and the fact that it's made for music made me buying it, but I kinda regret it now when I read this. On windows I had no problem with it.

Although I understand that a company can't support something forever. This is the pitfall of integration, they are relying on third parties (for instance Apple) who are changing things constantly, so they need to update their integration part (drivers) too when another party is changing theirs. And for a company it's just a commercial decision. I have my virus TI since oct 2005, and used it for so many years with absolute joy.

But I guess without the total integration part, I will just use it as a hardware synth, which is ok, but I am afraid I won't use it as much anymore, since the TI is just really convenient. Luckily these days there are very good soft synths available which can really compete with the virus power. For instance Omnisphere emulates lot's of hardware synths, including the virus TI.

But I still have a question about the midi over USB. I guess this is also not working with Mac OS Big Sur? So I really need to dig out my midi cables for this?

• But I still have a question about the midi over USB. I guess this is also not working with Mac OS Big Sur? So I really need to dig out my midi cables for this?

I’m running both an M1 and and Intel Mac atm. On Big Sur for Intel it does work, on Big Sur for M1 it doesn’t.
    (The access midi/usb driver is only signed till 2022 btw so after that no bueno, even on intel.)
    So you might as well get used to using midi cables now.

• I’m running both an M1 and and Intel Mac atm. On Big Sur for Intel it does work, on Big Sur for M1 it doesn’t.
    (The access midi/usb driver is only signed till 2022 btw so after that no bueno, even on intel.)
    So you might as well get used to using midi cables now.

Ok, thanks then I don't need to try that. Just using the midi cables

• Guys (some of you), you are missing the point: Audio over USB, Total Integration.

The MIDI cable + constantly recording every piece over Audio method... is not a solution, that is going back in time.

The TI USB audio mechanism, never worked too well for me, in that there was always inevitably latency added by the plug-in.

I remember that the advice from Access, was to use the plug-in as an editor, then use the audio outputs for playing and recording.

• Hello,

A while ago I managed to write a CoreAudio MIDI Driver to support the USB Virus MIDI ports, and posted it here: https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver, it should support Catalina and Big Sur because it's completely user-land and does not have require any custom kernel extensions.

I didn't really use it myself because in my system installation the official drivers were kind of working, so I kept using those for a while, but now more time has passed and more people are simply unable to install the original drivers in newer computers.

So, in case you are unable to install the original drivers (and you're a bit tech savvy) you can try to see if this works for you.

Currently you need to have Xcode to build the driver, and once it's ready you have to manually copy it in /Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/. I'm not providing a pre-made package because I didn't investigate yet the problems with code signing, and unfortunately I am not in the same country of my TI2, so I cannot double check installation problems by myself.

However, hope to be of help to someone,
    ciao!

• Guys (some of you), you are missing the point: Audio over USB, Total Integration.

The MIDI cable + constantly recording every piece over Audio method... is not a solution, that is going back in time.

Yes you are right, it's a great concept, but as you can see it's also a very vulnerable concept. I think people need to realize that such a concept requires technologies from lot's of companies. In fact Access didn't change anything here, it's Apple who we should blame because they lack "backwards compatibility". In Windows everything works fine because Microsoft does this jobs better. So every time when Apple is changing things, they expect that other companies put their time and effort in fixing things, that's not right. I know it doesn't help anyone here, but for me it's also a sign that this total integration is maybe not such a great concept on the long run. No other synth company did this as far as I know, and perhaps for a good reason...

And I also agree with ChrisCabbage, I also experienced lot's of problems with audio over USB. Lags, and especially with the Arp sometimes notes where "hanging". I switched lot's of times just to audio to have zero latency, works much better :).

• I never had any issues with latency

If you programmed your MIDI events, then you might not have hit problems, but the latency would still have been there. If you played notes in via any kind of controller, it was inevitable.

You could enable "live" mode, but that would put all Virus tracks out of sync with anything else in your project whilst it was/is enabled.

• For what it's worth, Elektron are now in beta with their TI-like Big Sur drivers.

They're reportedly using Apple's own resources to implement their part of the system in user-space, which they say will hopefully make future maintenance easier. The underlying stuff will essentially be maintained by Apple.

• I bought the Mystery Islands Music plug-in for Virus stuff.......quite good, and very affordable....I'm going to be uploading a whole YouTube video on it in the next couple of days, which might give you some valuable insight

• Hello,

A while ago I managed to write a CoreAudio MIDI Driver to support the USB Virus MIDI ports, and posted it here: https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver, it should support Catalina and Big Sur because it's completely user-land and does not have require any custom kernel extensions.

Well, it's built with no errors, so that's a good start! Will try and test over the weekend.

Edit: Yep - it actually works! Nice one! Had to delete the .plugin file and re-build though. Re-build on its own, didn't do the trick.

• It's a bit of pain to get the MIM software set up and working right, but from my experience, you only have to put in that time, ONCE

;0)

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Bought VirusHC as an alternative and never got it working. Not the official version (Logic crashes) and not the V2 (installation impossible). Opened a ticket to request a solution or to reclaim my money. Only response was a ticket number. No response since then, even after several reminders. My 40€ Is a mister now. Thank you Mystery Islands, thank you Apple and thank you Virus. The access is just getting dust now. ???