Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• All all this is such a bummer. :( I’ve wanted a Virus Ti for TWELVE YEARS and finally caved and bought one last summer. I was absolutely blown away by its capabilities even if it was the ‘little brother’, Snow. I bought a new Mac in March and found out the Virus isn’t compatible. I sent a support ticket in and all I got was “yeah we’re working on it. Use the midi”. ideally, I’d prefer using the USB. If I had known the Virus was having compatibility issues I wouldn’t have bought one. Or, kept my old Mac just for the Virus.

Does anyone know if the Virus would work on a macOS boot camp / Windows partition? I feel like I’m in a situation where I either:

A) sell the virus :(

B) buy a cheap PC / second hand Mac JUST for the Virus

C) boot camp Windows 10 (if that works)

D) cross my fingers and hope Access / Kemper does something soon

• Hi ,

I was in the same situation as you . I did try to run my Mac via boot camp but it still didn’t work as the drivers are Mac driven and there was a driver issue with windows via boot camp .

I ended up building a windows 10 computer setup and have not looked back . Virus TI works flawlessly although my ARP sometimes goes out of sync but it is a easy fix with stop start .

My advice would be ditch the Mac and build or buy a PC .

I know that access haven’t updated there’s software for some time with Mac but there must be a reason why .

Personally apple think they rules the world but end of the day for me are so locked in that now having windows is a blessing !

Anyways Hope this helped you out . I spent over 4 weeks trying everything’s possible to get virus to to work on Mac and no good . Windows all day every every day for me .

• Which indicates the development resources are available…

They are, but they choose to ignore a significant portion of their user base.

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• Right - it’s because Apple have taken a very different approach from Microsoft. Apple ditch backward compatibility in favour of constantly evolving - eg abandoning 32/bit and enforcing user/mode drivers — in the interest of security (it’s definitely a valid approach). The downside is - it’s a massive burden on vendors to keep updating / rewriting everything.

• For that reason, I bought the last working iMac – 2019 version though I love my M1 machine way more. Still that 2019 iMac can run Virus, Analog Rytm and usb audio interface with more than 20 inputs just fine + have an external firewire DSP unit also still working. That was my option that has to stay for quite some time. Thought of getting an older mac too, but then some other newer hardware wouldn't work. iMac is loud sometimes, that's the main problem.

• I bought the very first Virus TI. Then I got the TI2. Why do I love this synth? Total Integration. That the TI bit. Now Access has dropped support for their flagship product. Actually I don't even know if it's their flagship anymore. It almost like an embarrassment to the company. I know run it via midi. Like it's 1996. Not one software advancement in five years. I'd sell it in an instant, but I hold out hope that you have a few guys working on an update,

• Heads up, I've gotten a report via the Facebook group I admin that the latest Windows updates break the drivers on PC making the Virus unfindable.

https://www.facebook.com/group…4163516337019600/?__cft__[0]=AZWIakD34iTX9Vzy22h4QjMh6_0zApSnaLeN2DpUAniYj1zXEXaV_yzD3-XUYAqWwONgPY1VRjufScUn1FO8iD7wPWeBYN6nm1v-q9QgKMbmxwdM2upHmLhEhWCipjZmLQZyfDnFAqBcwHgExsXNDx8-&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• Heads up, I've gotten a report via the Facebook group I admin that the latest Windows updates break the drivers on PC making the Virus unfindable.

https://www.facebook.com/group…4163516337019600/?__cft__[0]=AZWIakD34iTX9Vzy22h4QjMh6_0zApSnaLeN2DpUAniYj1zXEXaV_yzD3-XUYAqWwONgPY1VRjufScUn1FO8iD7wPWeBYN6nm1v-q9QgKMbmxwdM2upHmLhEhWCipjZmLQZyfDnFAqBcwHgExsXNDx8-&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

That's interesting. Are there any other reports on that incompatibility issue with Windows?

• That's interesting. Are there any other reports on that incompatibility issue with Windows?

It seems to be a one off so far. I wouldn't be surprised if the PC drivers break at some point as well. At this point I just want an answer from Acces on what they will do about this. It's been two years.

Doesn't work on Windows 10 for ARM either. Installation goes fine but the plugin and Virus Control software simple cannot find the Virus.

• And another Kemper Update...........https://www.facebook.com/kemperamps/posts/5060649577284658

I swear, I'm actually thinking about filing suit at this point for false advertising.

*edit - left a comment asking for a Virus driver update and they deleted it in less than 5 minutes.

• Doesn't work on Windows 10 for ARM either. Installation goes fine but the plugin and Virus Control software simple cannot find the Virus.

This is just ridiculous at this point.....

• Funny, I stumbled upon an add on marktplaats (dutch version of ebay), where someone is claiming to have a workaround for working with the Virus on Big Sur doing everything over USB. He is providing an implementation of the solution for 95 euro. It’s a fair price. But I am curious what he does to make it work. And if it really works….

I'm wondering why this would be sold as a solution, instead of just sharing it here or anywhere.

Maybe this involves to the self-compiled USB driver?