Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• https://www.kemper-amps.com/jobs#a-job-software-2

Looks like they need a new developer again..........

I've filed a complaint with the local consumer protection agency here in NL. Since they made a statement that an update would be done 2 years ago, it would seem I have a good case and the best I can expect is a judgement and a partial repayment of what I shelled out on my Darkstar.

I'm disappointed it's had to come to this as I adore both of my Virus units but Kemper and Co. really should have been proactive about this from the start.

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von djantimatter ()

• I have given up. It amazes me that they still dare to advertise it on the box that it support MacOS. A thing they could do is just release the code open source, and let us the community build a working plugin.

There are some already building amazing implimentation without having any documentations. Only the audio class is proprietary, hopefully they find a working arround for that too.

• The SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver works great! It feels way more stable and faster than regular midi implimentation with mysteryislands virus editor. (using macOS Monterey version 12.1). If we only could get USB Audio to work, I am happy.

• Just bought a Virus TI2 Desktop. Excited about the synth but "total integration"? More a total crock, since I don't have an old Mac lying around and don't want to convert my entire audio workflow to some other OS. Can I even apply Virus OS patches to it?

Does the Mystery Islands software work? I assume Access will cover the US$50 cost of the software they didn't bother to supply? :D

• I tried to get the Mystery Islands working again on Big Sur (Virus TI 1 Desktop). But for me it's a big PITA. First I hooked up my Keystep 37 with classic MIDI cables. I can play notes, change parameters. It works both ways. But I can't send patches to the Virus. I get a message within the MI plugin that the Virus does not respond.

After this, I created the Simple USB Driver from the Github, same story.

Right after all this fiddling, my SSD died within my MacBook, I use this oppurtunity to go back to Mojave (crash has nothing to do with the Virus or something btw). Mojave was solid and gave me the options to work with the original Virus software.

• oh i'm very sorry for this ! here the MI is working very well (intel)

Virus TI2, Prologue 16, Summit, Triton, Modwave, Pro-3, MidiGAL, SQ-1, Midi Trigger Audiowerkstatt, Komplete Kontrol 49, UAD Apollo x6/PCI-E/TwinX, Yanaha HS7 and HS8S, AKG C3000, MacMini 2018 i7 1GB/64Ram, MacBookAir 2017, iPad Pro 2017, Nektar Impact 25, LogicPro, a lot of plugins…

• Can I even apply Virus OS patches to it?

Unfortunately, you can’t on macOS newer than 10.14 since the Virus Control Center does not work anymore and is officially not supported anymore.

Does the Mystery Islands software work? I assume Access will cover the US$50 cost of the software they didn't bother to supply? :D

You can try to contact support and ask them for a valid solution. It’s quite ridiculous.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Well, it looks like the Access site got somewhat of an update. Saw 2022 on the bottom of the site. Wonder if that means we're going to see some announcements soon? Driver and software updates maybe, I hope.

Virus TI2, Prologue 16, Summit, Triton, Modwave, Pro-3, MidiGAL, SQ-1, Midi Trigger Audiowerkstatt, Komplete Kontrol 49, UAD Apollo x6/PCI-E/TwinX, Yanaha HS7 and HS8S, AKG C3000, MacMini 2018 i7 1GB/64Ram, MacBookAir 2017, iPad Pro 2017, Nektar Impact 25, LogicPro, a lot of plugins…

• probably more a „virtual“ product relaunch with still the same products (basic sale technique). i don‘t think they gonna fill the content with new software for the current line up.

• Mojave is end of life as of November of last year... so now you have the choice of security updates or a working Virus

If you're in a country that has consumer protection laws, please file a claim/lawsuit. The fact that they're still marketing this feature and selling new units that are broken out of the box is unreal

• Thanks jrob, I'm hoping to make this work. I've had a TI2 in storage for a while and just got it back out and set it up in the studio. I couldn't get the synth to send or receive any MIDI via USB or Din, so I tried this method but I still can't see it in my DAW (Ableton) or Audio MIDI setup when plugged into my computer via USB. Any thoughts how to resolve this? FYI, I'm running Catalina (I used an older version of Xcode to make the "product").

• Thanks jrob, I'm hoping to make this work. I've had a TI2 in storage for a while and just got it back out and set it up in the studio. I couldn't get the synth to send or receive any MIDI via USB or Din, so I tried this method but I still can't see it in my DAW (Ableton) or Audio MIDI setup when plugged into my computer via USB. Any thoughts how to resolve this? FYI, I'm running Catalina (I used an older version of Xcode to make the "product").

Here is my experience: I am running Ableton on a MacBook Air M1.

Installed Xcode and built the Simple USB Driver. So far works great.

I bought the Mystery Island Editor a while ago, now it is version 3.0 and it is much improved. Once configured it works nice with some caveats, e.g. when you turn off the Virus (in my case TI2) with the USB driver you have to set the MIDI Ports again once you power it back up. Because the USB MIDI Port is gone in Mac OS X at that time. That is one thing that still makes me believe a small MIDI interface that is always connected might be more practical.

To use the TI also as a keyboard for Ableton I have MIDI in enabled, but OUT disabled, as this is controlled via the Editor. I do have OUT SYNC enabled and It seems to work fine.

In Ableton I also have difficulties when using the TI to play its own MIDI tracks, because when switching presets the TI sends Sysex (I think all Viruses do that because I have the same issue with a KB) which then leads to a MIDI loop, meaning the sysex is going into the Virus, back into the Ableton IN track and you can see the MIDI lights blinking inside Ableton until you disable record. Only solution might be some kind of Sysex M4L filter on the track... which is what I am looking into right now. Otherwise I will use a different master keyboard and use the TI only as sound module.

Also I might not need the editor all the time so just setting up an external instrument in Ableton might do the job as well.

• Although I was able to Compile the SimpleVirusUSBDriver and get it working in Logic Pro with my TI2 - I have not been able to record from the TI2 Software Inst Track to an Audio track ( using the Mystery Islands plugin).

I do have a Steinberg U22 and when I use my Roland usb/UM-One Midi cables - I can do recordings from the TI2.

With just the USB cable and SimpleVirusUSBDriver and even with the Steinberg U22 - I cannot get it to record.

Has anyone been able to achieve this in LOGIC with a USB cable and SimpleVirusUSBDriver?

If so are you able to share the details of this?

TIA,

John

• Virus TI2, Prologue 16, Summit, Triton, Modwave, Pro-3, MidiGAL, SQ-1, Midi Trigger Audiowerkstatt, Komplete Kontrol 49, UAD Apollo x6/PCI-E/TwinX, Yanaha HS7 and HS8S, AKG C3000, MacMini 2018 i7 1GB/64Ram, MacBookAir 2017, iPad Pro 2017, Nektar Impact 25, LogicPro, a lot of plugins…

• where does your output from the virus go ? usb audio will not work, mystery has no recording functions, so only analog or digital outs serve