Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• How do I unfollow a thread‽‽‽

why ? ….

Virus TI2, Prologue 16, Summit, Triton, Modwave, Pro-3, MidiGAL, SQ-1, Midi Trigger Audiowerkstatt, Komplete Kontrol 49, UAD Apollo x6/PCI-E/TwinX, Yanaha HS7 and HS8S, AKG C3000, MacMini 2018 i7 1GB/64Ram, MacBookAir 2017, iPad Pro 2017, Nektar Impact 25, LogicPro, a lot of plugins…

• where does your output from the virus go ? usb audio will not work, mystery has no recording functions, so only analog or digital outs serve

When using the SimpleVirus USBdriver - I can't route the audio to get sound from anything - the VST nor the Mac Speakers.

But when I go back to the Roland UM-ONE and Steinberg UR22 setup it all works perfectly.

I just don't have enough knowledge to get it working any other way.

• Thanks Rev, I appreciate the insight. Quick question though... When you ran Xcode, made the plugin and placed it in the MIDI Drivers folder, did you then see the Virus pop up in Ableton's preferences as a MIDI port? Because I still don't see it after doing all of that. I'm just looking to send simple note messages from Ableton clips to the Virus (and maybe to route MIDI from other external devices through Ableton) , so I'm fine to not even get into the Mystery Island editor. Thanks for your time!

FYI - I was able to get it to do what I want with a USB to MIDI converter cable so I'm ok for now, but it would be nice if I could still get it to come up purely as USB.

• While I was downloading the latest drivers for my audio interface on the UAD website, I read their tips how to get their software running on M1 chips.

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-…con-M1-Compatibility-Info

I hope this could also solve the Audio/USB issue with the total integration on the virus TIs on latest Mac OSX with or without M1!?

Has anyone already tested their recommended setting changes in Recovery mode to get Virus running audio via USB on latest OSX!?

Best regards

Chris

Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-19 um 13.13.45.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-02-19 um 13.15.04.png

• Actually one of the first things I tested when I got my M1 Mac in March last year.. Also came across that link.. unfortunately the plugin still crashes during validation because of some (system) library reference that doesn't exist on MacOS Big Sur and later.. Since the library and system folders are completely non-writable even with SIP turned off there's no way to get around that..

• Thanks Rev, I appreciate the insight. Quick question though... When you ran Xcode, made the plugin and placed it in the MIDI Drivers folder, did you then see the Virus pop up in Ableton's preferences as a MIDI port? Because I still don't see it after doing all of that. I'm just looking to send simple note messages from Ableton clips to the Virus (and maybe to route MIDI from other external devices through Ableton) , so I'm fine to not even get into the Mystery Island editor. Thanks for your time!

FYI - I was able to get it to do what I want with a USB to MIDI converter cable so I'm ok for now, but it would be nice if I could still get it to come up purely as USB.

for me the terminal way worked, not via the Xcode app. And I had to reboot once. After that the 2 MIDI poets showed up…

• Access really need to get off their asses and fix this. Especially in light of this new announcement from Steinberg: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vst-2-discontinued/761383/2

Given the lack of communication from the company, it's becoming clear that things are not going well for Access Music/Kemper Amps. They most likely don't have the staff and budget to work on an update. I think their days are counted unfortunately.

• Access really need to get off their asses and fix this. Especially in light of this new announcement from Steinberg: https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vst-2-discontinued/761383/2

How is that related?

The Virus Control plugin has been available as VST3 for well over 5 years.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Zitat

>Given the lack of communication from the company

Even with the Kemper side?

I wonder how much of the company's internals are split up. Is there one support team/queue for both products? Or are we gumming up the lines for both products

My latest ticket, Feb 4th:

Zitat

subject: Mojave is EOL. We need a TI update to secure our machines #SI00224196

What on God's green, luscious, beautiful, flat Earth is going on?

We've been asking for years and now we're faced with the decision to run an operating system that no longer receives security patches or to break our Virus

:(

I received this reply the same day:

• Actually one of the first things I tested when I got my M1 Mac in March last year.. Also came across that link.. unfortunately the plugin still crashes during validation because of some (system) library reference that doesn't exist on MacOS Big Sur and later.. Since the library and system folders are completely non-writable even with SIP turned off there's no way to get around that..

Do you remember what library is missing?

You're supposed to use `/etc/synthetic.conf` to set up symlinks for items in the root directory

I added that as an issue to track on the VirusTI-ButMaintained GitHub repository.

I started that and the VirusTIHackers Discord last night. Hoping to get some move devs together on this. I think we can hack it with our collective thinkmeat. Need to make a separate post for it and try to get some visibility. Please link dump those wherever relevant

If you subscribe to that issue on GitHub it'll ping you when there's activity (closed, new comments). Right now I can't test this because I don't have Big Sur (or an M1)

• I'm just here to give a middle finger to Access for leaving us hanging. Pains me even more because I just shelled out over a grand to get the motherboard fixed and upgraded. I get it back after almost a year and it's just a useless brick in my setup.

• I'm just here to give a middle finger to Access for leaving us hanging. Pains me even more because I just shelled out over a grand to get the motherboard fixed and upgraded. I get it back after almost a year and it's just a useless brick in my setup.

Lame of Access to be silent but “useless brick”?

• Lame of Access to be silent but “useless brick”?

In the context of the TI features, it is a useless brick if you your system is incompatible. My last compatible system died on me a month ago and now both of my TIs are not getting used.

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• In the context of the TI features, it is a useless brick if you your system is incompatible. My last compatible system died on me a month ago and now both of my TIs are not getting used.

You are aware that you can still buy a new (!) Mac Mini 2018 with Intel processor and install macOS 10.14. It’s a bit of a hassle to do the downgrade but it is possible and works wonderfully.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Were you guys using them as your sound card?

For those who are really using Total Integration to do sound design in context of a DAW project, the Virus without TI is actually just an average synth and probably less desirable than a similar sounding VST (Viper, Spire, Massive, Serum, etc).