Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• You are aware that you can still buy a new (!) Mac Mini 2018 with Intel processor and install macOS 10.14. It’s a bit of a hassle to do the downgrade but it is possible and works wonderfully.

Well aware, I shouldn't have to plan an entire system around one device however. Access needs to get of their f***king asses and sort this out or declare it incompatible/EOL so I can decide whether or not to keep these things around.

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von djantimatter ()

• Update: MacOS 12.3 now recognizes the Virus TI as an external sound card. That means Audio through USB in MacOS will work flawlessly.

For those already getting their hopes up I am sorry to enlighten you.

The plugin will not work on Logic Pro, since Apple has now moved on to Audio Unit version 3 and the Virus TI plugin is an AU version 2 plugin.

That means no amount of clever hacking will make this ever work.

Cubase 10.5 to Cubase 12 still blacklist the plugins as well for unknown reasons even though they have not started their VST2 obsoletion, although next year they will. Now not only the driver, but even the software and plugin is too old to run on MacOS.

if you actually depend on your Virus for your productions my advice stays the same: just get yourself a good midi editor which auto-saves the plugin state per project. I am not sponsored by Mystery Islands, but at the moment VirusHC really is the best solution. There are some other midi editors out there such as CTRLR, but your milage may vary. Other solutions such as virtualizing or running the Virus through an older PC/Mac may work, but are really too complicated for a fast workflow you can rely on.

• Cubase 10.5 to Cubase 12 still blacklist the plugins as well for unknown reasons even though they have not started their VST2 obsoletion, although next year they will. Now not only the driver, but even the software and plugin is too old to run on MacOS.

The Virus Control plugin is available as VST3 for several years now. Maybe you haven’t installed it or disabled it in Cubase.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• The Virus Control plugin is available as VST3 for several years now. Maybe you haven’t installed it or disabled it in Cubase.

My point which you seemed to have missed completely is that there's really no point in beating this dead horse. Even if you magically get it to work on say Catalina or Big Sur for Intel (forget about M1), this is only temporary since Apple has now moved on. All I say is don't wait for a solution if you actually depend on your Virus in your productions. If not, you can always switch to another soft synth.

But hey, do you own an M1 Mac? You are totally welcome to try and post your results. Which would actually be more helpful to the community.

And to answer your question, yes, I have and I have. On MacOS Big Sur Cubase actually still enabled the VST3 version by default but it would crash Cubase on open. On MacOS Monterey it won't even recognize it as a plugin even though it's still in the VST 3 folder.

• Tried it out again today. The current version of Logic Pro (10.7.3) will simply tell you it'll only take Audio Unit Version 3 plugins during validation, so that will never work, but today I found an old backup of Logic Pro X 10.5.1, which amazingly still runs fine on my M1.

This is what the validation report says:

validating Audio Unit Virus TI by Access:

AU Validation Tool
    Version: 1.10.0
    Copyright 2003-2019, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Specify -h (-help) for command options

--------------------------------------------------
    VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: 'aumu' - 'VCP ' - 'AccS'
    Manufacturer String: Access
    AudioUnit Name: Virus TI
    Component Version: 5.1.7 (0x50107)

* * PASS
    TESTING OPEN TIMES:
    COLD:
    2022-04-03 17:49:46.978 auvaltool[6536:250581] Error loading /Library/Application Support/Access Music/Virus TI/Common/Virus Control.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Virus Control: dlopen(/Library/Application Support/Access Music/Virus TI/Common/Virus Control.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Virus Control, 0x0106): Symbol not found: _AudioHardwareClaimAudioDeviceID
    Referenced from: /Library/Application Support/Access Music/Virus TI/Common/libVirusUSB.dylib
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio
    Time to open AudioUnit: 6.666 ms

validation result: crashed validation

I've checked and the files inside /Library/Application Support/Access Music/Virus TI/ are actually there so I am not sure why it can't open these files..

The CoreAudio folder in /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio does not exist.

This is to be expected since Apple has closed off the System folder since macOS Big Sur.. I tried disabling SIP and manually adding the file but it's not possible. Maybe if I install MacOS on an external drive I can.

• This is really exciting to hear, and I'm happy to pay the $50 to make it happen.

Can someone please explain what this means... "Caveat is that USB connection with synth communication is VERY slow, especially when data is being requested from the Virus TI to the Editor." Does he mean like when you load up a project?

• This is really exciting to hear, and I'm happy to pay the $50 to make it happen.

Can someone please explain what this means... "Caveat is that USB connection with synth communication is VERY slow, especially when data is being requested from the Virus TI to the Editor." Does he mean like when you load up a project?

Thanks. It means, when you request say bank A from Virus TI to editor, it takes forever. You can easily have a coffee, cigg (if you do) and have a dump in the loo while waiting for request to complete.

I'm happy to answer all your questions on our website. I don't have much time to monitor this forum sadly.

• Thanks. It means, when you request say bank A from Virus TI to editor, it takes forever. You can easily have a coffee, cigg (if you do) and have a dump in the loo while waiting for request to complete.

I'm happy to answer all your questions on our website. I don't have much time to monitor this forum sadly.

Thanks so much for your response. I wasn't expecting an answer from you here on this forum. I went ahead and purchased it yesterday, and will most likely have some more questions. ?(

• I was not really able to get a solid audio connection on a MacBook Pro 2013, but hey that thing is old. Will try with an M1 later.

But just having the midi driver is awesome!! Thanks for that MysteryIslandMan. I do own the editor for quite a while now and getting the upgrades for free is also really cool! Keep up the good work!

Now I would only need a driver for iPad as I would like to use the TI61 as a master keyboard it. But that is off topic and another story.

• Virus Ti2 USB Audio & Midi works like a charm with Mystery Islands Editor Plugin Build 9001 on LPX M1max Monterey 12.3.1 ...

still Schande über Kemper und Co. not able to do it by now.

I have it fully working all over USB (Audio+Midi) with the newest MysteryIsland Audio unit and the USB-Midi Driver from https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver (You need to compile it yourself). It is fast and more responsive, no audio desync like in the past was with the official Audio Unit.

• I have it fully working all over USB (Audio+Midi) with the newest MysteryIsland Audio unit and the USB-Midi Driver from https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver (You need to compile it yourself). It is fast and more responsive, no audio desync like in the past was with the official Audio Unit.

Actually you do not need another midi driver as the editor provides one if I understand this correctly … at least I have midi via usb this way

• I have it fully working all over USB (Audio+Midi) with the newest MysteryIsland Audio unit and the USB-Midi Driver from https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver (You need to compile it yourself). It is fast and more responsive, no audio desync like in the past was with the official Audio Unit.

as mentioned, I do not need to install/compile extra another software by myself bcs MysterIslands plgin provides a solid midi drive via usb and now also 4cha Audio ( instead of 6 ) yet to me .... creedo : don't think, be creative ;)

• Three months silence in this topic....

How does the MysteryIslands solution works for you guys?

Is that a way to go? If I would choose that method, I don't know how to recall the old projects.

We are still sucking on a four year old OS, and can not be able to update due to only one thing. Unbelievable.

It would be great if Mr Kemper would say/do something.