Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• Thanks for the info. Oh right, that aggregate device thing. I remember trying it but the audio was glitching a lot. It was unusable and I gave up. I should probably try again...

• That said, the Virus is truly incomparable. With Aura Plug-Ins’ product, it continues to do what it was designed to do.

I read through the whole indfo and setup guide and to me the Aura Plugin had:

- a very convoluted setup which will probably not work for a number of users for various reasons

- a suboptimal user experience with a GUI which doesn’t even come close to the original VC plugin (this is my major concern)

- a rather high price considering the above

Therefore I still have a strong urge to keep using the Access VC plugin. And also think Access Music is obligated to do something about this situation.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• .... And also think Access Music is obligated to do something about this situation.

Exactly my opinion - it is not that the Virus is not being bought anymore - this seems NOT an issue. So why not give the whole community the benefit of a proper working and "state of Art" software as DAW Plugin and Standalone.

A real shame is the difficulty to access the high potential of the User Arpeggiator Pattern.

I am not a lazy guy when it comes to create sounds - but the almost closed shell of this feature is holding up a lot of creativity. If the hardware cannot do it (obviously) then an intuitive software can help.

• leker it’s a fairly complex process, but one that is routine for any company with an active software development program on the Mac or Windows platforms.

Lots of contributors on this forum have tried to influence Access to move this along, to no avail. It seems they are either unable or unwilling to do this.

As I’ve suggested many times, you could look into the alternative TI plug-in from auraplugins.com. Many here report it works well and is similar functionally to Access’ own tool, though some don’t love the UI.

• Dumb question and I apologize in advanced if this has been addressed but have any of the 3rd party editor companies have the ability to add the TI ability to their editors to emulate or bring back what the original access one could do? Or would that be a patent/copyright infringement on access’s technology? Anyone catch my drift?

• leker it’s a fairly complex process, but one that is routine for any company with an active software development program on the Mac or Windows platforms.

Lots of contributors on this forum have tried to influence Access to move this along, to no avail. It seems they are either unable or unwilling to do this.

As I’ve suggested many times, you could look into the alternative TI plug-in from auraplugins.com. Many here report it works well and is similar functionally to Access’ own tool, though some don’t love the UI.

Yes, AURAPLUGINS (last Mystery Islands Music) is ok on M1 + BigSur. Every days i use it.

Here: https://auraplugins.com

• It's 2023 and I can't stay on 10.14 forever just because of Access/Kemper incompetence.

Yesterday, I fixed the S/PDIF port on my audio interface so I now have enough audio inputs to connect my virus. Before I upgrade macOS, I have a question: will I still be able to use the Access Virus plugin for MIDI and to program the Virus? In other words, is it only the audio that is going to be broken or is if MIDI as well? If MIDI is also broken, I guess I'll need to buy a 3rd-party solution, but I'd prefer to use the Access plugin as I'm used to it.

Thanks!

• I had mixed results running it on El Capitan and High Sierra even though Kemper Access Music states that these are supported versions of the macos. It works on Windows 10 but does hang in the DAW quite a bit. I bought the Mystery Islands software and will see if I have better results as I’d like to make use of the expensive new M1 MacBook Pro with more power and use the latest version of Logic Pro to take advantage of Atmos Dolby in my Virus recordings.

• About a week ago they gave USB audio via a free update for the Kemper Profiler (beside Liquid Profiling).

Just saying.

Ploytec has finally released an update for their drivers. This is why.

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• It seems that the ingredients may be there for an updated driver for our Virus synths.

A better solution (IMHO) would be class-compliance for the synth itself. The market has gone completely in that direction. But, a Virus firmware update for class-compliance is just way too much to hope for.

• Quark no, Virus TI isn’t class-compliant. If it were, no special driver would be required. Class-compliant devices (at least when paired with Apple computing gear) don’t require any driver at all, as the Mac OS and IOS Core MIDI functions work with them out of the box.

The “special” USB driver appears to send a few bytes of data, which enable the Virus TI to work. By definition, class-compliant USB devices like audio interfaces require no such preparation.

• Isn't Class Compliant depeding on hardware? The TI has USB 1.1, is that even possible?

I didn’t find history records of when class codes were introduced, but it seems they were available from USB 1.0 on. Also, certain classes of devices (hub, keyboards, mouse) rarely needed a custom driver to be installed to access their basic functionality.

So, yes, it should be possible to update the firmware for the Virus to become class compliant. But I guess it would require a major refactoring if not a complete rewrite of the USB connectivity.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• The following network bridge solution should work ( https://audiogridder.com/ ) :

- Machine A running Mojave and AudioGridder server

- Machine B running newer os (for eg. Ventura) and AudioGridder Client

Based on this method I have an idea, but with one machine:

- unsupported os, for eg. Vetura, with AudioGridder Client

- virtual Mojave under Ventura (with for eg. https://mac.getutm.app/ ), and AudioGridder Server

Could someone please test this method?

My questions are:

- Does the TI running this way on the virtual os?

- If o, is it possible to bridge the TI with AudioGridder?

- Or if AudioGridder doesn't work this way, then is it possible to share the TI as a simple device? Or any other method, like Parallels?!

• Several others including me have tried so already, with mixed results, but why don't you try it out yourself and share your findings?

• I have found a dumb solution for using the Virus TI Snow only with the Usb Cable and Stereo Jack pair routing the output to the input, as the input still works in mac whitout any special drivers (sorry for my english, im spanish)...:!:

1 - Download and install Demo & Drivers from and read the pdf to make the inputs work from the USB - https://auraplugins.com/product/access-virus-editor/ ^^

2 - Download and install this free editor and config the midi usb from the drivers of auraplugins - https://ctrlr.org/snowed/ 8)

3 - Plug the Audio Output of the Virus Synth to the Audio Input with a pair of Phono Jacks (sounds dumb, but yes, works...) :rolleyes:

Done! You should have now a free editor for your virus and sound from your daw with only the USB Cable and a pair of PHONO Cables, as you are routing the audio output from your virus from the input! if you follow the instructions from the auraplugins editor they show you how to create an audio device to hear the sound from the input of your Virus..

Good luck! its working for me!:)