Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• just came to add more weight on getting catalina support.

sadly the new macs only work w catalina. and im sure every audio developer is cursing apple on this update.

specially the access team who most likley thought that last update would have lasted for a looong time like in windows platforms.

• Hi,

wouldn't it be on option to make make the code of the Virus Plugin publicly available. I guess there are some clever people around who could adjust the plugin faster than Access could ever do ...

... just a thought ... need to get a replacement for my 2011 iMac this year. And new Macs only come with Catalina ....

• Hi,

wouldn't it be on option to make make the code of the Virus Plugin publicly available. I guess there are some clever people around who could adjust the plugin faster than Access could ever do ...

... just a thought ... need to get a replacement for my 2011 iMac this year. And new Macs only come with Catalina ....

If only it were that simple!

Ploytec, the company who's audio code makes the Virus plug-in work, are working on a Core Audio driver, to replace the depreciated HAL audio code. I'd keep an eye on this webpage LINK as when they have their own driver it'll be there, I can't imagine that the Virus driver will be far behind. Unless it's never going to be updated of course. Who knows? Well, Access do but it's still radio silence...

• Just came here to say same as everybody else:
    We need that Software. My TI Snow is unusable now!

Also its a shame to keep silence about the Future of the TI-Software while sales contine for more than 3 months.
    Its 2.3K for the flagship-synth & one of the main features is missing if youre on a newer mac.

But thanks to DJTobes!

• If only it were that simple!

Ploytec, the company who's audio code makes the Virus plug-in work, are working on a Core Audio driver, to replace the depreciated HAL audio code. I'd keep an eye on this webpage LINK as when they have their own driver it'll be there, I can't imagine that the Virus driver will be far behind. Unless it's never going to be updated of course. Who knows? Well, Access do but it's still radio silence...

Elektron also use the Ploytec base drivers for Overbridge. Overbridge 2 has now been working on Catalina for weeks. Not saying it’s straightforward, but someone’s done the initial spade-work.

• I guess there’s no other choice than to update the iOS then Marc now that most of the the spade work has been done , would that mean forfilling some other requests too ?

although I can see , it will be just a fix for the IOS.... which I hope gets sorted for some of you , quite rightly , you pay top money and can’t use the selling point features due to a simple Mac update , an update that can’t be rolled back.

I mean this does mean that sales will drop since there will also be the stubborn among us that won’t want to switch to windows , but why should they..

I don’t think Access would like a drop in sales due to a simple Mac mishap

• Overbridge 2 has now been working on Catalina for weeks.

Overbridge 2 is an eternal beta, for how many months now? And Elektron started to sell the new Digi-* boxes February 2017 with the OB2 functionality in the advertising, promising it would be available soon.

Imagine the outrage...

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Not being in beta, doesn’t equal bug-free.

“Beta” has different meanings to different people and companies. The point is that it’s working. It’s not an insurmountable challenge. Ploytec have apparently released something, which may or not be in beta as it leaves their hands.

• “Beta” has different meanings to different people and companies.

"Beta" Software in general has the meaning that you shouldn't use it in your productive environment, unless you're prepared to lose large parts of your work due to software errors (e.g. erasing your main drive because of a wrongly parsed preset file name), often have to update your working environment, and probably lose settings between versions. Good enough for hobbyists. Not good enough for professionals with a tight schedule and fixed deadlines.

Frankly, I hate the Overbridge 2 desaster. I had several problems, including an installer that disabled my A4 and a bug with the internal OB controller mapping which leads to Control Change messages being interpreted as PitchWheel that's not fixed for about half a year.

Anyway, back to the Virus.

A schedule for the updated driver would be nice.

A couple of new features for the TI OS would be peachy.

A Virus TI3 would be hilarious.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• wouldn't it be on option to make make the code of the Virus Plugin publicly available. I guess there are some clever people around who could adjust the plugin faster than Access could ever do ...

Weird, I just popped in and had a similar idea on another thread that I went to first, then saw this. Well, as someone already mentioned in the case of the plugin there is the underlying issue of the 3rd party (Ploytec) driver.

BUT still I don’t think it’s a terrible idea to open source the plugin code and let people have at it, and maybe eventually the internal code as well. If Access ultimately have no intention of further developing the Virus line (hardware and software), then this is a potential end-of-life option they should consider. Would be a gracious and wonderful send off for what was an amazing product line for over two decades. But I’m not willing to give up hope that they will bring Virus back to life.

Virus TI2 Desktop Whiteout Limited Edition

MacOS 14 • Ableton Live 11 • Logic Pro

• "Beta" Software in general has the meaning that you shouldn't use it in your productive environment, unless you're prepared to lose large parts of your work due to software errors (e.g. erasing your main drive because of a wrongly parsed preset file name), often have to update your working environment, and probably lose settings between versions. Good enough for hobbyists. Not good enough for professionals with a tight schedule and fixed deadlines.

Again - no guarantees that non-beta software won't do that. E.g. I could introduce you to people who lost data on Akai's current MPC systems due to bugs on official non-beta software. I'd recommend never ever trusting any software, or even hardware platforms (e.g. disk controller firmware) to not corrupt or remove your data - that includes operating systems. Always have a backup strategy,

40+ years of programming and software engineering under my belt (yes - I'm that old). Like I say - being out of beta is no guarantee of being bug free, even in terms of losing data.

• I can't believe this has gone on this long. Every other software company has amended any errors with Catalina OS. i don't think Access understand our loyalty and huge chunk of money we've spent on there product. Theres been no updates or estimated dates this will be addressed. Everyone is in the dark at what to do, Its a complete joke theres just no urgency. I'm so close to selling my Ti2 i hope they are reading these forums ACCESS YOUR INEPT at what you do its a disgrace. £1500 down the drain. :cursing:

• it’s not down the drain , I would leave Mac for not considering their own action , if was me I would rather sell Mac for windows 10 just so I could fully use the Virus at this point...

easier said than done tho , and is still fairly harsh on no word of a fix considering price of a DarkStar for example let alone ‘standard’ issues.. naive people like me wouldn’t of seen the catalina compatibility message either

• i don't think naive pal. they've had long enough to sort this issue or to get in touch with its user base not a snide note on its news page like we should go on weekly to check, you would never think of looking this up. i'm not feeling sorry for myself here when i say this but feel like we've been forgotten about. its taken a long time to work and save for this piece of equipment, money we haven't got to go out and but new computers etc. just to suit them so we can still use the equipment.

• No I hear you , Not saying you are naive in inexperienced ways sorry , I just mean in a way that people shouldn’t have to check a website to see if a synth Is compatible with there OS or not when you know many years Mac has always been compatible, so people aren’t unlikely going to check such a thing...

My comment was to only offer hope that 1500 isn’t quite down the drain just yet and tryna be fair on both viewpoints..

and it is certainly worth holding onto , as shit the situation maybe... you will regret selling the Virus , so think twice on that front