Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• *cough* Apparently Elektron use the same driver, in case we want to compare and contrast *cough*

:)

I have :) I haven't had a chance to test either the Elektron or the usb-audio demo driver yet, but I have dug into them a little.....

I must admit, I'm very surprised that just by renaming the .driver & .plugin files that the usb-audio files work! I'm guessing that the Virus Ti AU plugin is simply making a call to those filenames..... and the kext extension for that matter.... interesting! In the usb-audio plugin there are a lot more references to other vendors products, in the Elektron plugin though, only to their own products. However, there are NO references to Access in the usb-audio plugin either! So.. it might just be a case..maybe... of renaming the Elektron plugin & driver filenames as well!

• I've had to take a different tack for now. For legacy projects and transferring patches), I've installed Mojave dual-booting. Then, I just have a cut-down set of plug-ins for those projects. No need to install Cubase on the Mojave volume, since it can be called from the main Catalina volume with an alias.

Then I'm using the Mystery Islands plug-in for new projects. It's not 100% stable though. It's caused a few crashes.

Since I can't easily get multiple Virus outputs working, I'm limiting Virus to mid and high frequency patches on a single pair of outputs. For bass, I'm using other synths.

...but obvs., I'd really like the Virus plug-in working on Catalina - as soon as we can have it! :)

• I believe Access will get compliant drivers/software out for the mew OS. Im on windows so dont have a problem BUT:

1. Ti2 is NOT an obsolete product. It is still available to purchase new from stores. As such it should be compliant with all current OS.

2. Kemper did recently post a job add for a coder to do just this.

• Any updates?

Ploytec driver for MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) is out, but no update from Virus them selfs? I don't mind that they are still working on it, but a little open communication and honesty would make a big difference. Maybe they need to buy a new license for de Ploytec driver and don't want to-do that? I am willing to pay a fee for a new driver update.

I pity the people who just bought a new mac and cannot downgrade to Mojave to make use of the Virus. The Virus TI2 is still sold.

• I don't really care about the virus plug in if I can Load and saveWHOLE BANKS OF patches from/to soundbanks in .syx and .mid format WITHOUT THE VCC.

I'm totaly new begginner with the virus but it seems to me that it is possible to control it via conventional midi cables and use the audio outputs ... But is there a way to load entire banks without using VCC?

Does somone knows if MidiQuest could be an alternative to the VCC for burning banks ?

• Any updates?

Ploytec driver for MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) is out, but no update from Virus them selfs? I don't mind that they are still working on it, but a little open communication and honesty would make a big difference. Maybe they need to buy a new license for de Ploytec driver and don't want to-do that? I am willing to pay a fee for a new driver update.

I pity the people who just bought a new mac and cannot downgrade to Mojave to make use of the Virus. The Virus TI2 is still sold.

I own a 16 inch MacBook Pro which can't be downgraded to Mojave. Simply does not work. My Mac mini 2018 stopped supporting Mojave too last week. Running Mojave on it now causes the machine to crash during sleep and this is a risk I'm not willing to take. I'll be the last to say that's not Apple's fault, but at some point we are all stuck with Catalina. Technology is moving forward.

About the Ploytec Licence. I personally wouldn't even mind if we all would have to pay a little for a new release. Maybe €99,- for a software update and include it for free with every Virus TI sold right now? Marc Would that be an idea?

• I have emailed Access Virus support.

They don't want to tell me if there will be an update in the future for macOS Catalina. If they don't want to be open about this, mostly means they can't or will not make an update for macOS Catalina.

For example:

Motu: I have a Motu 896HD, I send a email to them in the beta period of Catalina with the question if there was going to be support for it. They told me directly they are working on it and driver will be available. The driver was released on 2nd of Januari for macOS Catalina. Long support for products gives trust in companies, my next audio interface will be a Motu again.

Steinberg: Steinberg was really open about that they won't be supporting some older audio interfaces on the new macOS. One of the reasons I have dropped all my Steinberg products.

Here the text I got back from Access Virus:

Zitat

"We do not have any updates in regards to macOS Catalina compatibility at this point. Once we have news we will certainly post these as these soon as available.

We in general do not comment on future developments."

• ''We do not have any updates in regards to macOS Catalina compatibility at this point. Once we have news we will certainly post these as these soon as available.

We in general do not comment on future developments.''

Yep, very striking how they turn defensive as soon as you ask about an update.

ChrisCabbage Nevermind, I got it working by dragging the VST and AU files from an old Mojave volume. It's very buggy though, and the timing issue is still there, so for now the Virus Plugin is still the best option.

• Yep, very striking how they turn defensive as soon as you ask about an update.

If they would be upfront about it, I can make some changes. Now I am holding on to a Mojave machine.

I had a reply back from the Ploytec, they are curious about what "Access Virus GmbH" has said in their support email.

My opinion about it is: Access Virus GmbH doesn't want to pay a licensing fee for new drivers and decided not to develop a new driver for macOS Catalina. They don't want to burn down the bridge for now as they are still in negotiation with Ploytec GmbH. Problem I see here is that they still sell the Access Virus Ti2 as new, with the same Polytec Audio solution. Big audio equipment resellers still sell it with "Mac" support label on it. All new macs sold don't support macOS Mojave or lower.

• I have some words back from Ploytec:

In short they said that Access Virus GmbH already has the new driver code for some time now. It's would only be a matter of time before they would release the macOS Catalina drivers.

I am the first to admit I was wrong about my above statements. It was my poor judgement and lack off information that made me think Access Virus GmbH wasn't working on the future of the "Virus Ti".