Virus TI not compatible with MacOS Catalina / Big Sur

• You'd think wouldn't you? It was released March 31st, still not a peep here from Access though. Zilch nada. Not even a "we're working on it" or even a "not a hope, it's over" message. Until then, us faithful Mac users will have to keep this thread alive! :)

I just wrote support to ask for an official answer...

• Hi! I`m new with Virus, It`s my first synth and unfortunately I've a new 16" Mac. How can I use it? I read the whole topic and I know that I can't use with USB, is it possible to use it only with MIDI cable?

Regards.

• UPDATE:

Logic Pro 10.5 on Catalina broke Multimode now too. Now you can only load the Plugin in single mode.

Just bought an expensive audio interface to use with the Virus, now it can only output one stereo channel! Fantastic!

• Good luck. You'll probably get the same auto-response most of us got.

Here is my question...

"Hi, Now that there is a CoreAudio Ploytec driver for Catalina, do you plan to update the Virus plug-in for Catalina support? https://www.usb-audio.com/download"

And here is their reply :

"It is a bit more complicated than that. We do not have news on macOS Catalina support at this point. We will post news once available.

With best regards,

Access Music Support"

• UPDATE:

Logic Pro 10.5 on Catalina broke Multimode now too. Now you can only load the Plugin in single mode.

Just bought an expensive audio interface to use with the Virus, now it can only output one stereo channel! Fantastic!

Rescan Virus plugin with 10.4.8, doesn't work in 10.4.8 (offers 25 channels which isn't going to work!) but... Now works fine in 10.5, yay!

• Hello Acces, take your responsibility and take care that the community can use the synths you sold for good money and make them work in Catalina.

Dare to give us a respond what will be the future for all the people who bought your marvelous instruments!

You chose to make an instrument what's independent of using software! So it would be a big shame to stop developing software for the instruments. Please take your responsibility and help all the people who enjoy your instruments and upgrade to the new OS's.

I think that even a reasonably paid upgrade would please the fans around the world, so take your responsibility!!

Cheers, and hopefully you'll take the right decision and let us know what the outcome is for the future.

Cheers!;)

Ward Vlasveld

• Hi everyone,

been using TI2 Polar for years and - after months of musical inactivity and a Catalina upgrade - I realized that my most recent project and any other using the TI2 on USB audio must be scrapped or re-configured. Then I found this thread.

Did any of you see the statement in the support section where you download drivers? They say it clearly there, that VC and USB audio won't work, and that there won't be any development "for the foreseeable future". Doesn't seem to make sense to hope for new drivers in this thread... https://www.virus.info/news/re…y/182/lang/en/#_entry_182

Or do you have hope because this is from last October? ;)

Since I don't want to uninstall everything Access, just a last question: If I haven't installed anything at all from the driver/installer package, will the Virus be able to send/receive USB MIDI aka is it class compliant without drivers? If yes, I'll connect it like all my other hardware synths: USB MIDI, analog or digital out into Fireface 800, Logic Pro X as mixer.

Best regards,

Christian

• Since I don't want to uninstall everything Access, just a last question: If I haven't installed anything at all from the driver/installer package, will the Virus be able to send/receive USB MIDI aka is it class compliant without drivers.

Yes, at least just an usb midi device, class compliant or with Catalina driver, would be great !

A stripped version of the plugin editor without audio would allow us to wait until usb audio is ready for Catalina.

I'm remembering having already ask for about the same in a feature request thread more than 10 years ago while usb audio was not very stable.

• Did any of you see the statement in the support section where you download drivers? They say it clearly there, that VC and USB audio won't work, and that there won't be any development "for the foreseeable future". Doesn't seem to make sense to hope for new drivers in this thread... https://www.virus.info/news/re…y/182/lang/en/#_entry_182

They say that "Virus Control Center doesn't work anymore and there will be no replacement for the forseeable future." They are talking about the 32-bit Virus Control Center app, which is different from the Virus Control plugin.

I really hope to have a Catalina compatible version of Virus Control soon. I don't care about theVirus Control Center.

• Rearranged my producer desk to have more space and want to buy a Virus TI2 Keyboard to replace my Darkstar, possibly new, but I'm holding back until this is solved.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Due to what Apple are about to do with.... actually I gotta be super careful here, NDA and all that, but... well this bit is out in the public domain already if you know where to look so I can say this much at least. Apple are going to be a little more... forceful shall I say delicately, with prompting customers to move to the latest macOS version. No doubt they'll bang on about security yada yada, but I work for a huge media company in real life when I'm not being a musician in my free time & already the Catalina upgrade is.... available shall I say, even if you have forced it to be ignored. Yes, I can get away with that I think!

Basically, I've now moved to Catalina on my personal iMac Pro, I held out this long but... it's going to happen anyway, so either Access care about the customers who have been there for years or.... not. Who knows? But I couldn't hold on any longer, the Catalina Virus drivers were my only blocker. I still have faint hope that the Virus drivers will be updated for Catalina, I'll be a very happy customer if that is the case, but if not by the time the NEXT macOS is released, then I'm going to have to sell my Ti2, sad but true.

Apple's WWDC is in a few weeks, you'll find out more about why I'm having to be cryptic then, I really am sorry, but NDA's y'know?

• As I'm not bound by any NDAs : Project Kalamata, is Apple's codename to move to ARM chips in their next Gen Macs from 2021.

I run 2 x Macs in my studio. I have a MacPro desktop running Mojave and everything is rock-solid, including my TI2. I put Catalina on my MacPro laptop last week and did my usual tests and here's where I ran into the USB issue we're all on this thread for. I really hope that Access come up with a fix but if not I'll just drop the USB audio and patch the outs into my Apollo and start "committing" audio again. Also, if you consider how powerful the new Logic sampler is and think about combining that with the Virus as a sample source, you could develop an alternative workflow.

Due to what Apple are about to do with.... actually I gotta be super careful here, NDA and all that, but... well this bit is out in the public domain already if you know where to look so I can say this much at least. Apple are going to be a little more... forceful shall I say delicately, with prompting customers to move to the latest macOS version. No doubt they'll bang on about security yada yada, but I work for a huge media company in real life when I'm not being a musician in my free time & already the Catalina upgrade is.... available shall I say, even if you have forced it to be ignored. Yes, I can get away with that I think!

Basically, I've now moved to Catalina on my personal iMac Pro, I held out this long but... it's going to happen anyway, so either Access care about the customers who have been there for years or.... not. Who knows? But I couldn't hold on any longer, the Catalina Virus drivers were my only blocker. I still have faint hope that the Virus drivers will be updated for Catalina, I'll be a very happy customer if that is the case, but if not by the time the NEXT macOS is released, then I'm going to have to sell my Ti2, sad but true.

Apple's WWDC is in a few weeks, you'll find out more about why I'm having to be cryptic then, I really am sorry, but NDA's y'know?