MIDI Setup: Big issues using Virus Ti2 as master keyboard

• Hi all,

Connecting after acquiring a Virus Ti2, I decided to change my overall setup and also use it, instead of a NI Komplete Kontrol, as a master keyboard. I have tried all kinds of possible midi cable routes, but I'm stumped!

Objective: Play all synths to record "live" with the Virus, while also through the the DAW sequencer

Setup:

1. Focusrite Clarett 8PreX as sound card for computer and for Midi
    2. Virus Ti2 (ID 16 - CH2) connected via USB - able to play live via USB (or output 1 L+R which goes to 8PreX )
    3. Deepmind 12d (ID 6 - CH3) - connected 8PreX Midi Out to D12d Midi In. Output goes to 8PreX
    4. Neutron (ID 2 - Ch1) - connected D12d Midi Through to Neutron Midi In. Output goes to 8PreX

So, if I have midi information in the daw, the Deepmind and Neutron will play on the respective channels. But if I try to play on the virus, selecting the respective channels, nothing happens. If I connect the virus direct, via midi cable (not usb), bypassing the 8PreX it works. But although that would work for a live setup, it doesn't for a recording setup, especially as I need to unplug the Virus Ti2 USB cable, thus reducing the functionality. If I had found a way to also open Midi Out, while USB is switched on, I could do some Midi merge magic, but this way, I'm stumped.

Any pointers?

• Are you running your TI2 in controller mode?

I noticed that when you plug the TI2 via usb and start Virus Control it automatically switches the local control mode on (which disables the keyboard to avoid MIDI feedback loop). Wonder if that could have to do with it? Try checking your Global Settings on the TI.

• Objective: Play all synths to record "live" with the Virus, while also through the the DAW sequencer

If that did work with the NI Komplete Kontrol, then your problem is the MIDI routing in the DAW. You have to properly set up the channels/tracks in the DAW to receive MIDI notes from the Virus USB MIDI out and send it to the other synths. Consult the manual of your DAW on how to acheive this.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I finally figured it out! :/

I'm slightly ashamed to mention the solution, because it was really my fault. I could blame the Virus' usability but really, it was my mistake.

Basically, the issue was the MIDI OUT information from the virus. When I played the expanders through a normal 5-pin midi cable, their channel was always 1. However, in the complete setup they had, of course, different channels. I only realized yesterday, when I was working on a tutorial with a midi monitor that the Virus always sent the information on Ch1. When I changed the channel in the "Edit config - Midi 1/3", it only changed the receptive midi channel, but not the sending one.

The solution is the "Part" buttons. You can chose which part you want to play on and quickly change through different pre-selected sounds that

way. But the Part also determines the outgoing Midi channel. So if you select Part 4, you're sending on CH4.

In a way, especially when setting up the Virus VSTi with 16 Midi tracks, this makes perfect sense. In another way, this is deeply annoying, as it is not really described that well in the manual.

tomatoKetchup & ozon thanks for your replies!

Btw, Oli, I also figured out that I can receive Midi Channel 1 from the Virus on my DAW and then send it on to outboard gear on a different Midi channel. This approach also has a few advantages, but is a bit messy in my view.

• Btw, Oli, I also figured out that I can receive Midi Channel 1 from the Virus on my DAW and then send it on to outboard gear on a different Midi channel. This approach also has a few advantages, but is a bit messy in my view.

But that is actually a common way to work with a DAW and Master Keyboard, because normally you get the input always on the same input and channel but want to route it to a different output and channel.

However, good you found a solution!

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon () aus folgendem Grund: typos

• But that is actually, a common way to work with a DAW and Master Keyboard,

This is the first time in 10 years that I've used midi outboard gear. I've only worked inside the DAW so far, where I disregarded the whole topic of midi channels, as it wasn't necessary. It was only after buying the Behringer gear and later acquiring the Virus that this problem arose. With the NI Komplete Kontrol A61 the midi change for the Behringers was super simple and in the DAW it didn't matter.

But while we're on the topic of using the Virus, another thing I haven't figured out is how to assign the parts to different outputs via USB. I would be very grateful for a tip :)

• With the NI Komplete Kontrol A61 the midi change for the Behringers was super simple and in the DAW it didn't matter.

Which is a bit of a miracle... and probably due to magic of the NI Komplete plugin.

But while we're on the topic of using the Virus, another thing I haven't figured out is how to assign the parts to different outputs via USB. I would be very grateful for a tip :)

In the Virus TI Reference, page 118

Multi Mode Parameters > Output > Out1 L ... USB2 R: Sends this Part to the selected analogue or USB output.