Controlling Soft Knobs via MIDI CC with Elektron Digitakt

• The Digitakt's MIDI track plays notes on the Virus (TI2 Polar), but I also want to control a Soft Knob with the Digitakt's parameter locks. I have the Soft Knob assigned to Controller 3 in the mod matrix, but it seems like I'm missing something setting it up on the MIDI track in the Digitakt (I'm wondering if what I'm trying to do is possible). Does anyone have any experience with this?

• Thanks for your response.

Yes, I posted the exact same thing on the Elektron User Forum, but this is really a Virus specific issue. The obvious alternative is targeting the individual controls on the Virus, but with the Soft Knobs on the Virus I thought it might open up more possibilities. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Yes, I posted the exact same thing on the Elektron User Forum, but this is really a Virus specific issue. The obvious alternative is targeting the individual controls on the Virus, but with the Soft Knobs on the Virus I thought it might open up more possibilities. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

AFAIK, the Soft Knobs just send control messages internally to the Virus. Either to a control directly or using MIDI Continuous Control messages, like the Mod Wheel. To actually make use of the MIDI CC messages, you have to set up a slot in the MOD Maxtrix to act on incoming CC messages.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

In my first post I wrote "I have the Soft Knob assigned to Controller 3 in the mod matrix" and I assume that means MIDI CC#3. In this message from oliAtBass it says "To actually make use of the MIDI CC messages, you have to set up a slot in the MOD Matrix to act on incoming CC messages." which seems to contradict what is written in the first sentence since the Soft Knob has to have a MIDI Controller assigned to it on the "Common" page before you can make it work in the mod matrix.

If what I'm trying to do can't be done I can accept that, but I would really like to hear it from someone that knows for sure.

• since the Soft Knob has to have a MIDI Controller assigned to it on the "Common" page before you can make it work in the mod matrix.

This is not true. You can set up a Soft Knob to act directly on a Mod Matrix Assignment.

How is your Mod Matrix set up exactly? What is the Input, what are the assigments?

Did you try using Mod Wheel as well? (because that works for sure!)

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• This is from the Access TI Reference PDF:

Tip: Instead of direct control, it is fairly common to specify a continuous controller (e.g. CC06 Data) here, then use the same CC as source in the modulation matrix. This method not only lets you control a wider range of destinations with the Soft Knobs, but also allows multiple destinations with variable ranges - complex morphing at the twist of a knob.

Maybe I should try CC06, although I'm not sure why it says "CC06 Data" or if or why it would make a difference. Please notice that it says "This method not only let you control a wider range of destinations. . ."

That's what I want to do it because that's the I've always used the Soft Knobs, but I want to do it with the fabulous Elektron sequencer and parameter locks.

• I just checked my setup and noticed on the Digitakt that CC#6 corresponds to "Data Entry". Is this a hint that CC#6 is the only one that can be used. I've never seen any documentation on how to use "Data Entry".

• "Data Entry" is the name or "intended purpose" for the MIDI CC #6 usage. Please refer to the official list MIDI Control Change Messages. This list is a suggestion for a standard, how the CC's are actually interpreted is up to the device implementation. Some synths, especially those with many parameters, use many of the CC Messages in a different way than proposed by the MIDI Standard.

• BTW, forgot to ask: are you working with a DAW or do you have the Digitakt directly connected to the Virus?

If possible, testing whether the Virus responds properly to CCs is easier from within a DAW.