Recommend me a good audio / midi interface for the Virus TI

• Since it looks like Access decided to stop supporting their currently sold Virus TI2 line to work with modern operating systems, I'm looking into getting a good Audio / Midi interface to track the Virus TI's audio with. It has to have at least 3 stereo inputs (although more is better incase) and preferably fits into a 19 inch rack.

• RME UFX+

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Thanks for the suggestion, but do you know of any cheaper options? Looking to spend around €400 max.

Can‘t suggest anything in particular then, because that was not the price range I was doing my research for when I was looking for a new interface this february. However, anything by RME is good and well supported (they write their own drivers) over long periods of time (> 10y). If you check their website you‘ll also find current drivers for almost all their legacy products. Which is not the case for many other manufacturers, especially of less expensive products, who use branded third party drivers.

I‘d rather buy a used RME Fireface or UX than something new.

NI products are generally of very good quality and compatibility as well. You could also check out the offerings by Steinberg, I think they are actually made by RME but you‘d have to verify.

But with 400€ you will generally get something new that will be unsupported in a couple of years. I suggest to google for the models you‘re interested in for known problems. That helped me to rule out a couple of models/manufacturers for my specific needs.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• I’m running a Behringer UMC1820 with Virus. Gives me plenty of inputs so I can route all the stereo pairs in. 19” rackmount. Great controls for use as headphone monitoring output. I’m actually going to add-on a Behringer ADA8200 to utilize the 8 inputs on that -> ADAT input on UMC1820 and get the most inputs possible.

My only disappointment is that I wanted to use the SPDIF but the SPDIF input on the Behringer won’t allow direct live monitoring, it needs to route through the DAW first.

I love that I can use the Behringer with my Mac DAW rig, but I can also plug it in direct to an iPad Pro and use Aum/Auria/etc.

Virus TI2 Desktop Whiteout Limited Edition

MacOS 14 • Ableton Live 11 • Logic Pro

• I’m running a Behringer UMC1820 with Virus. Gives me plenty of inputs so I can route all the stereo pairs in. 19” rackmount. Great controls for use as headphone monitoring output. I’m actually going to add-on a Behringer ADA8200 to utilize the 8 inputs on that -> ADAT input on UMC1820 and get the most inputs possible.

My only disappointment is that I wanted to use the SPDIF but the SPDIF input on the Behringer won’t allow direct live monitoring, it needs to route through the DAW first.

I love that I can use the Behringer with my Mac DAW rig, but I can also plug it in direct to an iPad Pro and use Aum/Auria/etc.

Hey thanks! This looks interesting! I just looked it up, and the price seems about right!

Are you actually using the TI plugin while using the analog outs?

I don't care about direct monitoring since I'm always adding inserts and sends anyway, but is it much hassle setting it up in your DAW?

• I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and have had to expand it with their Scarlett Octopre as my studio has grown. I love the 18i20, though the Focusrite Control can be a bit confusing at times when you really get into the signal routing. It's not technically in your price range but much closer than the RME UFX+! Can't beat the quality in their price range in my opinion, they're beautiful units and they feel/sound great too.

• I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 and have had to expand it with their Scarlett Octopre as my studio has grown. I love the 18i20, though the Focusrite Control can be a bit confusing at times when you really get into the signal routing. It's not technically in your price range but much closer than the RME UFX+! Can't beat the quality in their price range in my opinion, they're beautiful units and they feel/sound great too.

Thanks! Considering this one too. What is confusion about the signal routing on it?

• Sorry for that random post above... still learning how to use a forum...

Part of the confusion came when I was in the initial setup phase trying to link the 18i20 with the OctoPre.

Channel 1 on the OctoPre became Channel 11 in my overall rig. Later on, when I made additional input changes and SPDIF took Channel 11, OctoPre Channel 1 was actually 12...and so on. Just a difficult number offset for my already numbers-challenged mind. ?(

I've attached a quick screenshot of one of the screens in Focusrite Control, just to give you an idea of how it is laid out if you aren't familiar.

It didn't help that I was also learning the deeper routing settings in Logic as well. It was just more advanced than I was used to.

I've got everything configured now though, and both units work flawlessly. I even use the 18i20 as my general soundcard when not working in Logic.

If you have any other questions, or if you end up getting it and have any feel free to ask!

• Yeah that seems quite confusing indeed. I use Logic Pro too. Is it much of a hassle setting it up with the Virus TI, software wise? Preferably I don't want too many clicks every time I decide to load up my Virus in a song.