Virus Stereo Widener

• So I’ve noticed that the onboard stereo widener Fx within the character mode works like a phase inverter is that right ? , dialing it right up gives the same results if you duplicated two tracks with one side inverted either L or R , now on its own with it fully up it obviously leaves a hole in the mid (mono) and doesn’t sound to great

with that in mind -
    he’s where the virus widener gets particularly useful... create 2 midi tracks and play two of the same patches , preferably arpeggios... on the first part have the widener off now on the second part , boost it to its maximum setting...

the result is a very wide , lush mono compatible sound , on the part with it turned to maximum you are free to layer Further time based fx , and further parts - whilst section locking the arp...

the result is........ very nice

you can further adjust the main image on the main channel with a stereo tool plugin that allows for mid side balance to finalise the image to your ears...

• Another way to make good use of the stereo field is to use two parts , but set one part main outs to usb L and the other part to usb R

You could process the parts individually using the 3 outputs for maximum experimentation with the stereo field or even use a third part that uses usb LR and just go from there

frequency shifter Also as you know provides phase shift , for experiments with the stereo field , I leave the frequency dead Center , I don’t touch it , but instead just adjust the phase for suitable stereo images , great for basslines

• frequency shifter Also as you know provides phase shift , for experiments with the stereo field , I leave the frequency dead Center , I don’t touch it , but instead just adjust the phase for suitable stereo images , great for basslines

Cool. Although I'm always a bit wary of playing around with the phase of bass sounds... maybe I should be more brave ^^

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Moog Sub 37 | Blofeld | Machinedrum | Monomachine | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine
    Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Mojave) | Cubase Pro 10.5 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete 12 | RME Fireface UFX+

• My bad I should I’ve been more clear ,
    without going too wild on the bass I should say at least the lo end...

so I guess following on from it , depending on the style - experimentation could mean using two parts , one part for your lows with maybe either sidechain compression or using a dynamic eq with an input mode (much better effect I find) and the second part that deals with mids and highs , there your free to tweak that stereo phase dial in the filter bank and other possible stereo fx without compromising the lows , - at the end of the plugin chain there could be a M/S eq to shape the image , with overall control of the width via a widener

could be a few ways to approach it I guess depending on the intention