Virus Stereo Widener

• So I’ve noticed that the onboard stereo widener Fx within the character mode works like a phase inverter is that right ? , dialing it right up gives the same results if you duplicated two tracks with one side inverted either L or R , now on its own with it fully up it obviously leaves a hole in the mid (mono) and doesn’t sound to great

with that in mind -
    he’s where the virus widener gets particularly useful... create 2 midi tracks and play two of the same patches , preferably arpeggios... on the first part have the widener off now on the second part , boost it to its maximum setting...

the result is a very wide , lush mono compatible sound , on the part with it turned to maximum you are free to layer Further time based fx , and further parts - whilst section locking the arp...

the result is........ very nice

you can further adjust the main image on the main channel with a stereo tool plugin that allows for mid side balance to finalise the image to your ears...

• Another way to make good use of the stereo field is to use two parts , but set one part main outs to usb L and the other part to usb R

You could process the parts individually using the 3 outputs for maximum experimentation with the stereo field or even use a third part that uses usb LR and just go from there

frequency shifter Also as you know provides phase shift , for experiments with the stereo field , I leave the frequency dead Center , I don’t touch it , but instead just adjust the phase for suitable stereo images , great for basslines

• frequency shifter Also as you know provides phase shift , for experiments with the stereo field , I leave the frequency dead Center , I don’t touch it , but instead just adjust the phase for suitable stereo images , great for basslines

Cool. Although I'm always a bit wary of playing around with the phase of bass sounds... maybe I should be more brave ^^

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• My bad I should I’ve been more clear ,
    without going too wild on the bass I should say at least the lo end...

so I guess following on from it , depending on the style - experimentation could mean using two parts , one part for your lows with maybe either sidechain compression or using a dynamic eq with an input mode (much better effect I find) and the second part that deals with mids and highs , there your free to tweak that stereo phase dial in the filter bank and other possible stereo fx without compromising the lows , - at the end of the plugin chain there could be a M/S eq to shape the image , with overall control of the width via a widener

could be a few ways to approach it I guess depending on the intention

• Another way to obtain wide sounds is to use overlays of channels for the same midi input and create similar settings with slightly different ADSR and filter behaviour and cause modifications like phase inversion and dynamic delays. The "second" or "third" instrument (containing several oscillators) can be mixed into the track with some -12dB ... -6dB and will partly produce comb filtering which is similar to that whyt happens in rooms when frequencies reflect and superimpose and what is also known from Lauridsen-Schodder-Stereo, but unlike those it is different for the frequencies und also variates in time. Moreover MIDI-Echos can be used (again with changing settings) to change that dynamically (change reflections' sound over the time).