Diving the SineFold

• Driving the Sinefold distortion algorithm with a high resonance filter sounds nice....

start by Slowly cranking the intensity up , backing off until it bites , then select a 6pole xfade filter with its resonance turned up , with cutoff 1/4 open , gives some interesting and unusual sounding results

• Further tests conclude that actually driving the SoftBounce using 6pole xfade high res filter gives a more cleaner interesting tones

80-100% Intensity ,in combo with the Xfade 6pole with resonance cranked to full , the main filters set em to analog and set desired key follow - for further modded fun - in the matrix set the filter bank frequency to the arpmod (and anything else that take a fancy , reverb send , arp length a gooden , patch/osc volume ,etc etc )

in the arp section have it set to ‘up’ or what ever suits , draw out your pattern , 2 or three keys to play in sequencer/piano roll ... Then blast that shit like the Prodigy..

Lame but , How do you send patches, can’t see the individual patches in documents , just the bank library’s , feel bad for the Cat Macs that can’t use VC current , then again all your doing is using the filterbanks 6 pole with res cranked up into a few of of the waveshapers

• thx for this

you can export/copy only whole banks. create a empty one and put your preset(s) in and export/copy it from your virus presets folder on your system.

(for creating empty banks - take a existing bank (one witch not much presets, delete all presets and copy it, then rename it)

• sweet one cheers ☝️

Infact it’s a few of the waveshaper algorithms In general

But with the 2-6 Pole Xfade series of filters loves to drive the waveshapers with full resonance , the tones can be controlled via the arpmod

with the 6 pole resonance cranked up , try the different waveshapers , drive the Intensity until it bites and see what ya ears like the most.. Sinefold , SoftBounce and Wavshaper are my favourites

reminiscent , interesting and distinctive tones when max resonance from a 6 pole filter slams into either of those above

• I think I just love the sound of wavefolding in general , especially over driven by some of these filter algorithms with resonance cranked ..

Starting to sway my attention toward modular where wave folding sequences are concerned , but the Virus can act in this way

• Thanks a lot for sharing this idea!

Although I was doing a lot with folding distortions lately, I've not come across this yet.

Also worth a try: Instead of using an ARP pattern, set one of the LFOs to S&H and route it in the Mod Matrix to the Filterbank Reso and other fun parameters.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Moog Sub 37 | Blofeld | Machinedrum | Monomachine | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine
    Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Mojave) | Cubase Pro 10.5 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete 12 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Nice one ☝️ yeah driving a folder with some high resonance is a lot of fun , can come up with tones and timbres never heard before and that’s exactly what I’m trying to do , make sounds , leads that Havnt been heard or done before , have to admit nothing takes my fancy these days as it’s all been done before , so unfortunately I am quite strict on my own standards which is actually abit of a draw back , but o well , back to the laboratory

only reason i preferred the arp matrix is coz I can get stable patterns and tones out of self oscillating resonance thru the foldback... using the S&H has quite a random effect , I will give this ago though

edit - using the arp mod matrix along with the S&H lfo is pritty good , combined best of both worlds :-)

• My contradiction is , that I said I wana design sounds never heard before because these days takes a lot for me to get the belly rush since everything has been heard before and rehashed - that’s fine because it works , but for me , it takes quite abit to satisfy my ears - I’m trying to stray away from the same old same , I wana produce stuff that pleases myself as well as others and not pump out the same old shit for a lame mainstream - that’s also a piece of Piss to arrange , I wana feel excited about what material I got to arrange , so far just a empty void and - yet Anything I come up with that turns my ear on , all be it sometimes simple , I’m sharing 😆 LOL

push limits of perception - whilst pushing limits of what one can hear

• My contradiction is , that I said I wana design sounds never heard before because these days takes a lot for me to get the belly rush since everything has been heard before and rehashed

Sometimes it's already fresh to use typical or genre specific sounds in a different way or different context. E.g. that common Virus hypersaw used as lead for a trance track is rather expected and thus boring, but can be quite interesting when used as a wide moving bass in a different genre.

Also, I found it helpful to design sounds from scratch already while developing a new track, because the sounds interact with each other and with the composition and arrangement, and that already may lead into uncharted territory.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Moog Sub 37 | Blofeld | Machinedrum | Monomachine | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine
    Mac OS X 10.14.6 (Mojave) | Cubase Pro 10.5 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete 12 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Yeah sure I’ve spend more time on the audio mixing front than I have compositions , but yeah , much of the fun is starting from init patches obviously, using twin unison , spread on elements I want to stand out , and the mix between wet and dry sounds to give contrast - eq , compression , spatial , yano all of that fun stuff..

I’ve been getting turned on by some psychedelic techno , there’s a OOOD mix that Rama compiled , if it’s your bag il throw the link

• I’ve been getting turned on by some psychedelic techno , there’s a OOOD mix that Rama compiled , if it’s your bag il throw the link

Not familiar with that style, but always interested in getting inspired by different styles...

• giving it a listen to now , ear gazma all round 🙂

Love this! Saved to my soundcloud for later listening. Thanks!