Turning a virus into a so called Hocket Machine

• Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    - Mr Bill Ableton tutorial on an “Automatic Hocket machine“

I’d never heard of the term before , although

I often hear the ear for-filling techniques in electronic music , and I would wish to employ them in psychedelic techno...

So
    discussing this further , invoking the Ti’s multitimbral sounds in this way shown in the video , best ways one would set this up to provide similar yet easier and madder results... suggestions ? Trial and error until you have parts that talk to eachother in the “Hocket” format...

Turning the Virus into an ultimate Hocket machine...... thoughts on how to implement ? It would be ideal also to be able to assign the Remote 37sl mk2s faders to the Virus part faders , not sure how , the Virus automap template on the remote doesn’t seem to have them assigned , use auto map plugin to manually do it ??

Turning the Virus ti into an ultimate 3-4 part Hocket glitch call and response machine sounds like a good plan , anyone wana chime in to help implement??

Im thinking of something like arp to mod set ups across 4 parts that talk to eachother in away they actually make up one sound , these types of ideas also welcome

• Interesting approach.... I gave this some thought, but always came to the same conclusion: This type of method needs some sort of intricate control mechanism which is common to all the Parts. Which is not the case for the Virus TI. If you want to have some sort of random switching of the parts, you might always run into situations where you have either no part playing (tolerable) or several together which is less desirable because of loudness jumps. Only if you use a fixed ARP pattern on the 4 patches, you could approximate this.

Or if you use some sort of external MIDI event processor, but even with that it will get complex to do the swithing on Note Events (e.g. change the Channel) because in MIDI Note ON and Note OFF events are completely unrelated, thus you might produces hanging notes.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• I spose it Could be done fairly simply and easily in multi mode , set several patches spanning across keys ,

I tried to explain that this isn't as easy as it sounds, because the parts don't know nothing about each other (it's as if you have several Serum instance running as per Video above), and there's no common control device - which is what Mr. Bill creates with the Ableton Rack.

hook it up to a sampler

Care to explain this part?

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Yeah I didn’t mean to copy it exactly like it , but something like it I guess

Still I didn't get the "hook it up to a sampler" part. Which might be the key, if I just understood what you meant...

• If I understood what I meant ? I won’t fully understand until I put it into practice - trial and error but then again all your doing is muting and unmuting parts via automation whilst it plays the same lead pattern across many different sounds , it’s quite simple really no ? Taking advantage of virus multi timbral in the same manner as mentioned in the video which I don’t think you have watched fully , because there is no random switching of the parts , you draw in which part you want played before any other , nothing is random here

And maybe hook it to a sampler like an MPC or Octatrack and set it up in a way multis can bounce off of eachother , creating lead lines that are made up of 4 or more different sounds , that’s all......

• Taking advantage of virus multi timbral in the same manner as mentioned in the video which I don’t think you have watched fully , because there is no random switching of the parts , you draw in which part you want played before any other , nothing is random here

Yes, I did watch the whole video because I'm intersted in doing something like this and already had thought about it. And yes, there is random switching which is actually the key part of the whole setup shown in the video (from 8:40 on).

And maybe hook it to a sampler like an MPC or Octatrack and set it up in a way multis can bounce off of eachother , creating lead lines that are made up of 4 or more different sounds , that’s all......

Using Maschine or an MPC was actually the conclusion for me: in principle sample every note/pitch of a riff played with every sound once. If you have 4 notes and 4 sounds you get a nice 16 pad matrix which you can use to play the riff with alternating between sounds in every repetition. It works but is quite limiting. The approach in the video goes way beyond that, also with the randomization apporach.

• I see what your saying , although I was hoping for more of a predictable result by drawing in which part you want triggered

as for MPC , something like the Live or One looks tempting regardless and what you’ve said sounds like a way to go

• I see what you mean now regarding the practicality of it...

Didn’t give it much thought , my bad , I think sampling though would prove much better to be honest.
    Using something like Ultra loop from twisted tools , record the different parts you want question and answered And just throw them in that..

• Still, it would be cool if something like that could be realized during a performance directly on the Virus... would be cool new feature. Talking about slicing things up: Did you ever try out the Atomizer?

• Any suggestions on setting it up for its full potential , for gating fx I usually go for gatekeeper

Not really suggestions, since I just once used the Virus as an external effects uint to "atomize" a vocal sample to make it sound very robotic.

It's actually more like a hardware version of the Polyverse/Infected Mushroom "I Wish" plugin or the NI Finger.