MIDI: Virus TI as a Roland JV-1010 controller..a few questions

• I have had my TI 61 only about a week, but I am studying hard LOL.

One thing I really want to learn is best use of TI as midi controller. My current use case is to get my knobs controlling various parameters of a JV-1010, when I choose a particular remote template on the TI. In case anyone wonders exactly what I want to send, an extensive list of Roland MIDI commands for JV-1010 is at the end of:

JV1010 Manual both in prns and special Roland Sysex (very short messages I guess)

These are going to be dumb questions maybe, but I have been looking pretty hard before asking so forgive me:

1) Remote templates in the TI plug-in are named, while inside my TI standalone they are numbered. I assume I'm not saving them correctly. So how and where do I load the VST templates to the TI? I do know how to load patches to RAM and also how to burn groups to ROM.

2) I get the basic cc coding. The simple string they tell you to memorize to send a cc command. However that syntax does not account for the variety of cc info I see coming from the knobs on the virus with one of the default templates. I monitor on my MPC 1000, which has decent detail about the messages going out of the TI. Some are simple cc's, but others contain LSB and some contain further references that show they are more than using that simple string. Is there a reference for syntax in the knob entries? Can I have them sending PRNs or SYSEX also? Roland has some special short SYSEX commands for many parameters of the JV-1010, which cannot be accessed on the device, which I might use if I can.

3) How does the MOD MATRIX fit in to configuring what MIDI you are sending out? I was reading some short posts on the virus.info site which implied the MOD MATRIX is a huge help to tailor the TI to control any particular exterior synth. Can you give me some examples?

Notes on my daily use:

The goal is to use the TI standalone without DAW--for now anyway, and to be able to easily active/deactivate the TI panel to control parameters on the JV1010, hopefully in a way that does not effect a local patch. I do have the TI fully functional with Logic and use the VST there or with MainStage. No problem to use TI control, and access remote template page, now or in future, if needed to program. I just don't want to leave in that USB/DAW configuration. For daily use DIN MIDI is what I will use, and analog audio to my mixer.

It seems like I might just use one part of a multi for this and "turn off" the local patch.

My basic config settings: page A: cc page B poly AT (or should I use sysex here...) Access uses POLY AT for sending stuff (as perhaps does Roland), can you give an example of how this switch would be used in real life?

It occurs to me that even page one, has the sysex option. Could I toggle that "on", and use the Roland sysex they have in their manual in entires on the remote template?

Thanks for your patience with a new user.

• OMG tonite I though I had the ghost note thing for sure. One sustaining note would not go away. Panic no effect. Reboot no effect. Multi/Single swap no effect. Reading a few threads, checking settings...I noticed my side table gently pressing high C.

Sometimes it pays to be a idiot noob LOL

Next, suddenly my Sl-880 was not playing it's part on the virus channel 4. The JV1010 and Proteus 1 were singing away on channel 4 to the 880.

Then I remembered when I was trying to fix the ghost note, I'd pulled my MIDI DIN, and only replaced the out, leaving the in unplugged.

Now a good synth would have replugged itself, right?

• Now a good synth would have replugged itself, right?

:D

Nothing but problems with those Virus TI devices, right? 8o

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+