virus ti2 not working with new OS X catilina

• so I've read that there is no update for this. is there going to be one in the future or do I need to go ahead and put this on eBay?:( I mean we are going to have to continue to update our machines at some point. I discovered this the hard way and updated it to find out its just going to sit there now. when I first bought this about 4-5 years ago it said free updates for life. I guess the idea for life was just about 5 years. hell I wouldn't have even minded a few reasonably paid updates if that meant this company keeping someone around to keep working on these. its like they just completely abandoned this thing a few years back. I could see if it was something very cheap but this was supposed to be state of the art and the best synth ever and blah blah. I mean it was 2000 for me to get my hands on it and now its going to become one of the most expensive paper weights ever created. and what about all the projects I have this saved in? I guess those are done. or I can out another synth in place of it.

• now its going to become one of the most expensive paper weights ever created.

The synth itself still works as well as any other (not integrated) synth if not better, doesn't it?

If the synth with TI is that important to your musical work, then either keep a Mac with a compatible system around or switch over to Windows. After all, it's the Mac OS update that broke the synth, not vice versa.

hell I wouldn't have even minded a few reasonably paid updates if that meant this company keeping someone around to keep working on these.

I couldn't agree more to this! I happily shell out my share for each and every Cubase update to keep sailing smoothly, and would do the same for the Virus.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• well oliatbass one of the reasons I bought this is because it was supposed to do both. and neither one broke either one. But the OS X is going to continue to update because they keep paying their employees to do so. Which means if this company does not then this thing is going to get out dated. and its sad that all it would take to keep this thing up to date is an update. that's it. just an update. no new hardware added or anything like that. just a software update to be written. I think its funny no matter what the platform is if you have a legitimate complaint about something (2k makes it legitimate) that someone always shows up to argue about it. and you're telling me that I should go out and buy a Mac just to keep an older operating system on it to run this when they should in fact update it like it says on the picture that I'm going to attach to it for your viewing pleasure. and when you look at this picture oliatbass id like you to tell me exactly what it means and what a potential customer is thinking they are going to be buying into. and if they aren't going to realease any new updates then in a sense its completely misleading and false advertisement. so do you read what those 2 pictures say? if not you can easily backtrack to the very front page and find one of them there and click on it and then it will take you to the second one. now I'm also sure about another thing... you will be back to argue and try to make some sort of empty point with me. but I don't care. what I do care about is the fact I spent 2g's on this and now it will only do half what it was built to do and now to be able to use it I have to start running cables from it and lets see how difficult we can make this process when it was pretty easy to use as a plugin. and from a recording standpoint and automation the plugin is definitely better. and if they don't want to update the software drivers themselves I'm sure another 3rd party would do it. I think they should do an open source code on it.

• No argument from me regarding the false advertising. However, Access have not retracted that statement yet, and there's no official statment that there won't by any updates anymore.

(However, I don't believe any types of "unlimited free whatever" advertising. Since Akai's MPC Live/X deception I don't even belive anymore the feature set advertised on the box such as size of built in RAM or CPU power)

Regarding the driver update issue: The driver cannot be made open souce, because it is written by a 3rd party, which is in the process of updating it...

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• hell I wouldn't have even minded a few reasonably paid updates if that meant this company keeping someone around to keep working on these.

I wouldn't mind either. But I think they haven't even employed the person that's supposed to write the new software yet. They still have that ''Software-Entwickler/-in'' vacancy open in their jobs section.

I mean we are going to have to continue to update our machines at some point. I discovered this the hard way and updated it to find out its just going to sit there now.

True. I actually knew beforehand but my 16 inch Macbook Pro is incapable of running Mojave. (and believe me, I've tried)

So it wasn't even a choice for me.

The Virus is not a paperweight but you'll have to run it like a classic midi synth now or figure out a way to make it work using the analog outs.

I've had some success at getting it to work but since I own the Desktop version that runs on DC power, instead of the Polar, which has proper AC power, my Virus outputs a 60hz hum through it's analog outs. It's also a PITA to set it up in your project every time.

• Perhaps a rather silly idea for removing the 60hz hum, but have you tried to unplug your Macbook pro's power adapter? Theres about gazillion possible reasons for ground loops and humming of that sort. incl. your cables, inputs of your audio interface, tv, ac and so on. Or maybe its just a dying power adapter.

• my Virus outputs a 60hz hum through it's analog outs. It's also a PITA to set it up in your project every time.

The Virus has symmetrical outputs. I think the hum should be gone if you use properly wired XLR to Stereo Jack symmetrical cables. At least worth a try.

• ok well looks like we are all pretty much on the same page. I think the lesson I'm learning here is from here on out just a computer and midi up to it and plugins that can be updated and splice. I love splice.... hell I'm using a 2013 Mac Pro and still love it. does exactly what I need it to do every time. I think it still might be a minute before this thing gets outdated. its not like the newest model that can continuously be upgrade(supposedlyX/) but it still runs everything super quick. I will ask everyone this though. massive.. does everyone have the same issue with it running so ridiculously slow? I've had the same one for several years and as I updated it it got so slow I won't even use it anymore, its the only plugin I have that's like that. I have 64 gigs of ram also

• I upgraded to Catalina a few months ago and thought I checked all my gear. To my surprise I just figured out my virus is not working. I use it on occasion and so I came here looking for an update only to find that there isn't one. I'm shocked because Catalina has been out since oct 2019. I thought for sure there would be an update available. I purchased my virus last year and I did so because of the integration between software and hardware. Out of all my outboard synths it's my favorite because of the Access Control. I realize that when software has extra third party components integrated that it makes keeping it up to date difficult. I have seen this before with the Akai MPC... crazy screen driver and macOS updates. The OS updates are essential in keeping the Mac safe and secure and moving technology forward. I make sure to update all of my software regularly. I hope that this is a temporary setback and that there will be a driver update available soon. As it looks it's just the audio driver that needs the update as the access control was already updated to 64bit. I'm worried about the long term life of this synth. Seems like everyone has one, but the development around it is outdated. They're haven't been any new up to date features added or even talk about doing anything with this synth.

• yeah Ast3rix its not looking too good if the last update was in 2017. that's too bad too since this synth has so much of its own sound identity. I just liked the fact that although most people were running towards massive that owning this thing kind of gave me a sense of having something that not just anyone has. I can't see for (2k) a synth that this company is not able to even keep up with even driver support. they should have been all over it from minute one. just looks like some bad decisions or bad management or something. for a minute on almost every site selling instruments this was the "hot buy". which meant it was selling like crazy. I would think that instead of just hanging it up after that that this company would have wanted to take it a step further with a virus ti 3 and make it part analogue and digital with full digital control and a plugin in and have both thunder both and usb 3 choice on the back and new filters and effects and be able to incorporate samples. that would have been bad ass. that's where I would have tried too go with the next step. something like that would have blown everyone else out of the water. and maybe put a really cool touchscreen on it like Akai is finally doing. with something like that they would have brought this line right up to date and made another killing off of it. I mean take a page out of Korg's book. they keep repackaging the same product over and over for like the last 20 years now especially with the triton

• yeah Ast3rix its not looking too good if the last update was in 2017. that's too bad too since this synth has such of its own sound identity. I just liked the fact that although most people were running towards massive that owning this thing kinda gave me a sense of having something that not just everyone has. I can't see for 2k a synth that this company is not able to keep up with even driver support

I like it because of it's unique sonic tonality as well. I have a ton of software synths but the virus does have a very distinct sound quality that can't be replicated with software. I hope that this audio driver thing is temporary. Yes, it did bother me to see that the updates for it where old. I didn't see that the driver was an issue until now. Apple made a change to the support for some of the older audio development features. I'm hoping that once they have the audio driver updated and tested that we will see an update. I found another posting where there are tons of Mac users very upset that they can't update because of one piece of software. I may have to look at purchasing a third party software editor and run my audio out through the trs, then just not worry about updating the access software again since it seems like the development on it has come to an end.

• yeah Ast3rix its not looking too good if the last update was in 2017. that's too bad too since this synth has so much of its own sound identity. I just liked the fact that although most people were running towards massive that owning this thing kind of gave me a sense of having something that not just anyone has. I can't see for (2k) a synth that this company is not able to even keep up with even driver support. they should have been all over it from minute one. just looks like some bad decisions or bad management or something. for a minute on almost every site selling instruments this was the "hot buy". which meant it was selling like crazy. I would think that instead of just hanging it up after that that this company would have wanted to take it a step further with a virus ti 3 and make it part analogue and digital with full digital control and a plugin in and have both thunder both and usb 3 choice on the back and new filters and effects and be able to incorporate samples. that would have been bad ass. that's where I would have tried too go with the next step. something like that would have blown everyone else out of the water. and maybe put a really cool touchscreen on it like Akai is finally doing. with something like that they would have brought this line right up to date and made another killing off of it. I mean take a page out of Korg's book. they keep repackaging the same product over and over for like the last 20 years now especially with the triton

The synth features you're describing sounds like the new Waldorf Kyra with exception of the usb 3 and thunderbolt 3 connections. I looked at it recently and I noticed how very similar it seemed to the virus. It's like they took many of the concepts of the virus and gave it an update. I just hate the price tag on the thing and for the life of me I don't understand why they didn't release an editor with it. Now a days an editor should be a standard for all synths. I really like the audio over usb. It makes the rats nest more manageable when you have a lot of gear. Not really sure what to think about the Virus anymore...other than still making sure it works in my setup. I am not going to get my blood pressure out of wack over something I don't have any control over. I'm sure that Access is fully aware of how this looks and with this synth still being offered for sale as a new item... it makes for bad press for potential customers. I hope they get the updates back on track so that it's not every 3 years we see an update. I don't understand why they allowed this to happen. If you're actively selling a product and offering support you really need to stay on top of the software updates.

• I just hate the price tag on the thing and for the life of me I don't understand why they didn't release an editor with it.

Maybe because Waldorf does not want be held responsible to maintain software drivers for it over several decades. (btw, Kyra has only 8 parts and is still on USB 2...)

If you look around, Elektron is the only company that did something similar to TI (but still haven't managed to provide an official release after several years).

To do real time MIDI and audio over USB 2 seems to be more difficult that expected (actually not really a surprise, given that USB is not designed for real time streaming).

So... IMO the market is still vacant and waiting for the TI3 to happen.

• here's my thoughts... I just went to a couple sites like Sweetwater and a couple others that sell music gear. yes it is fact still being sold. so with that being said..that means that this company is still making money off of this thing. it would be one thing if it had been discontinued for quite a while but they are still currently making money off of it. looks pretty bad that they haven't updated the drivers

• here's my thoughts... I just went to a couple sites like Sweetwater and a couple others that sell music gear. yes it is fact still being sold. so with that being said..that means that this company is still making money off of this thing. it would be one thing if it had been discontinued for quite a while but they are still currently making money off of it. looks pretty bad that they haven't updated the drivers

Nice, have to buy one. Preferably the desktop version to go along with my Polar Darkstar.

• The Virus has symmetrical outputs. I think the hum should be gone if you use properly wired XLR to Stereo Jack symmetrical cables. At least worth a try.

Forgive me for being a noob on this subject but what exactly do you mean by symmetrical cables? You mean balanced cables right? I bought a set of ‘’Devine VA1015 XLR male - jack 6.3mm male stereo 1.5 meter’’ cables thinking these were the right ones since the salesclerk told me those were balanced but apparently they aren't. And stereo Jack you say? So you mean one stereo jack to two XLR ends?

• Forgive me for being a noob on this subject but what exactly do you mean by symmetrical cables? You mean balanced cables right? I bought a set of ‘’Devine VA1015 XLR male - jack 6.3mm male stereo 1.5 meter’’ cables thinking these were the right ones since the salesclerk told me those were balanced but apparently they aren't. And stereo Jack you say? So you mean one stereo jack to two XLR ends?

Should be one stereo Jack connector to one XLR connector. Looks like the cable is correct, however I can't tell you whether is trully wired as balanced cable.

If you still have hum, then it's most probably not picked up by the cables but caused by a grounding issue. Whether the cause is your Virus (improbable) or any of your other connected gear is hard to tell from a far distance.