Since My Virus TI no longer works on my mac do I need to purchase a midi interface?

• Hello, I hope all is well and I have a question regarding how am I going to get Maddie into Logic now with only having the Scarlett Solo? I really didn’t need a midi interface before but was wondering if using my TI via usb would be ok?

Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated I hope you all have a great day and stay safe.

Jim

• Depends on how you're planning to use your Virus TI. If you're doing it so you can keep using the plugin with Catalina, don't do it.

First: Catalina is the last OS to actually run the plugin. (The plugin does not work on Big Sur and on)

Second: Even though the plugin will open in Catalina, and you can indeed use the analog output ports, the midi latency varies every couple seconds, so it's way to unpredictable to use in any DAW. Even when exporting the Midi timing varies every couple bars so you have to slice and move your bounces all the time.

However, If you're planning on using your Virus TI as an actual Midi instrument from now on, I'd say: go for it!

There are some pretty good midi editors for the Virus available so it's not the end of the world to stop using the the plugin completely. Yes, the transition will be difficult, and the fact that you can't open your old projects hurts the most... but in the end this is the best way to prepare for the future..

another option is to switch to windows 10.

• Midi via USB still works in Catalina and Big Sur btw. :)

Sorry for asking a dumb question, but I’m very cautious at this point, I just bought a new TI2 some weeks ago and the USB connection has been a real cause of frustration for me so far.

And I have been staying away from Catalina so far. Still on Mojave.

I only have two questions I hope you or someone else could answer.

But the first is already answered, all I want is to use the TI2 in Logic through MIDI, if I can do that I’d be happy, I don’t need the plug-in, I just bounce it to audio as I would with any other synth.

But I was wondering if it’s normal that I have to connect and disconnect the USB every time I switch between Logic and standalone?

Access’s answer was that it’s a class compliant issue and they’re not sure themselves why this happens.

If Logic is not active (and also not sending MIDI routed to Virus Synth) I have to unplug the USB cable. It’s all connected to a Scarlett audio interface, sound is not the issue, just MIDI.

I hope you could answer this.

With other synths that was never an issue.