Inconsistent Midi timing when using Analog Outs + LIVE mode.

• Just wanted open this thread to spare you the time & money of investing in an expensive audio interface, in order to use your Virus TI2 with MacOS Catalina.

I personally have invested in a rather expensive audio interface: The Presonus Quantum2626. It’s based on Thunderbolt 3 and it’s actually the fastest interface available on the market atm, and has amazing sounding converters.

I bought it so I could use the keep using the Virus TI plugin on MacOS Catalina, by utilizing the Analog Outs of the Virus TI2.

I’ve actually got the buffer size of my setup down to 32 samples, which has a round trip latency of 1,8 ms.

This is a latency I’m willing to accept. If only it was that easy.

After extensive testing I can definitely say there is absolutely NO WAY you can predict what the latency of the Virus TI2 is going to be at any given moment. One moment it’s actually 1,8 ms, other moments it’s 200 ms. Because this fluctuation I can’t even use the Quantum2626 for exporting the Virus’s output, since the timing is all over the place, even within one export.

Before you ask, this is not only a happening with my Quantum. I already owned a few simple Beyerdynamic and NI interfaces and they give me exactly the same problem. (with even worse timing). It’s also not my Mac. I own two brand new 2019 Macs & I’d be amazed if they weren’t up to the simple task of streaming and recording 3 stereo outputs of my Virus TI.

All in all, even if you get the audio streams working, musically it's just not going to work because of the timing problems.
    would the Virus have a steady latency that doesn't fluctuate, this wouldn’t be problem, but the sheer unpredictability of the timing makes it completely useless.

so, if you're on Catalina and hope to get your Virus TI working by investing in an expensive audio interface, spare yourself the hassle. It won't work.

All we can really do now is hope and pray for Access to come with an update.

Marc I sincerely hope we can at least get an update on the situation. I think for most of us it can be comforting to know wether Access is working on it or not.

• I'm not seeing anything like that. How is everything connected Virus-wise?

I'm running my Ti, connected via USB to a Mac. Then SPDIF to an RME Multiface. Also using Mystery Islands editor.

There is some minor jitter, but nothing like 200ms.

• I'm not seeing anything like that. How is everything connected Virus-wise?

I'm running my Ti, connected via USB to a Mac. Then SPDIF to an RME Multiface. Also using Mystery Islands editor.

There is some minor jitter, but nothing like 200ms.

Are you running MacOS Catalina?

Mystery Islands editor isn't compatible yet.

• Yes, I'm on Catalina. Mystery Islands isn't *officially* compatible yet, but I'm using it without problems.

OK, Maybe I should state more clearly in my post that I'm talking about using the Virus in conjunction with the TI plugin.

I'm open to try the MI plugin though.. How is the timing? Do you get a predictable latency? As in that it's always the exact same amount?

• The jitter isn't perfect, or as good as the plug-in - but it's certainly not audible. ...and it may be more related to USB MIDI jitter.

The huge benefit though, is latency. It's negligible if your interface supports low latency.

• The jitter isn't perfect, or as good as the plug-in - but it's certainly not audible. ...and it may be more related to USB MIDI jitter.

The huge benefit though, is latency. It's negligible if your interface supports low latency.

I’m not using USB when using HCvirus so it can’t be related to USB midi.. I also don’t know how you can say the latency is better, it’s exactly the same as with the plugin using the analog outputs..

And may I ask how you are managing patches in your songs? Can you save a song with HCvirus in it and have it load it up the song’s patches automatically when opening?

• I’m not using USB when using HCvirus so it can’t be related to USB midi.. I also don’t know how you can say the latency is better, it’s exactly the same as with the plugin using the analog outputs..

And may I ask how you are managing patches in your songs? Can you save a song with HCvirus in it and have it load it up the song’s patches automatically when opening?

I can say the jitter is better using the plug-in with audio via USB, by looking at the timing of audio events in my DAW.

The TI plug-in, with USB audio is usually pretty much bang on the start of the bar, for example. When using the external instruments mechanisms in Cubase and Ableton, it's more variable. Obviously, that's not possible with Catalina.

I can say. the latency is better, when not using the plug-in with USB audio, because the latency between hitting a note on my keyboard and the audio being triggered is noticeable when using the plug-in. It's improved when using live mode, but then the timing of other parts gets thrown out of whack in terms of timing/jitter.

Using MI, you're essentially using your Virus as an external instrument.

I don't currently use the plug-in to reload the settings. I use it purely as an editor. When the new version lands, hopefully that and the librarian functionality will be improved.

• Purchased Mystery Islands VIrusHC and indeed you are right you are using your Virus as an external instrument, which is great! Midi timing is very tight!

I still can't find out how to save patches though.. Have you got any idea?