Access Virus TI2 + MacOS Monterey

• I’m afraid not (yet). I really hope this will be fixed in the near future. Upgrading operating systems is endorsed to provide the needed security. Failure to update drivers in a timely fashion denies users that level of security which imho in a creative world as ours where our heart and soul is stored on these machines is a no go… i wouldn’t want a ransomware attack on my machine so while updating my mac it renders my virus completely useless. I have to fall back on VSTI synths completely. 1800 euro collecting dust. Fix it ffs!

• I’m afraid not (yet). I really hope this will be fixed in the near future. Upgrading operating systems is endorsed to provide the needed security. Failure to update drivers in a timely fashion denies users that level of security which imho in a creative world as ours where our heart and soul is stored on these machines is a no go… i wouldn’t want a ransomware attack on my machine so while updating my mac it renders my virus completely useless. I have to fall back on VSTI synths completely. 1800 euro collecting dust. Fix it ffs!

Many thanks for your reply. It’s a really shame that Access haven’t updated. I second what you wrote - Upgrading OS is endorsed to provide the needed security.

I was looking into third-party solutions for patch library, (Google search: vst Library/Patch Editor for Access Virus) but then we need to run the synth trough MIDI. Not everyone has a audio interface with midi in/out those days.

I really do hope too that Access will fix this very soon!

• I was looking into third-party solutions for patch library, (Google search: vst Library/Patch Editor for Access Virus) but then we need to run the synth trough MIDI. Not everyone has a audio interface with midi in/out those days.

It’s not only a question of having a (high quality) audio interface, which many producers and studio owners actually have. It’s also a question of timing accuracy and workflow convenience.

And in the end, many bought the Virus TI at least partly because of Total Integration. To be able to save and load all Parts with the DAW project is phantastic (and still better than any other similarly working product, e.g. Digitone) and a huge (!) time saver, especially when working on several projects in parallel.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• When using actual midi cables timing isn't an issue.

Maybe not for you. But using classic MIDI cables introduces pretty significant timing inaccuracies, especially when playing back sequences for multiple parts.

Original MIDI is very slow and every chord is actually an arpeggio. With sample based sounds (e.g. drums) you can hear the phase shifts and sometimes even a flams depending on the number of notes being played simultaneously.

Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Maybe not for you. But using classic MIDI cables introduces pretty significant timing inaccuracies, especially when playing back sequences for multiple parts.

Original MIDI is very slow and every chord is actually an arpeggio. With sample based sounds (e.g. drums) you can hear the phase shifts and sometimes even a flams depending on the number of notes being played simultaneously.

hmm. What sequencer are you using?

I use Logic Pro X, have my buffer set to 512 samples, which is around 18 ms and I always pre delay my midi channels to -18ms. Midi is always spot on. And believe me, I've did some extended testing. Of course the Virus can get a bit sloppy when running super maxed out patches (I'm talking 8 x unison + 2 maxed out hypersaws) but this has nothing to do with the actual midi signal..

• hmm. What sequencer are you using?

I use Logic Pro X, have my buffer set to 512 samples, which is around 18 ms and I always pre delay my midi channels to -18ms. Midi is always spot on. And believe me, I've did some extended testing.

That’s all irrelevant. The MIDI protocol is slow, regardless of type of sequencer or settings.

The German Wiki page for MIDI explains it nicely like this:

The transmission speed is 31250 bits/s (exactly 32 μs per bit). For each byte, consisting of 8 bits, there is a start bit and one stop bit [therefore a transmitted byte is 10 bits, and takes 320 μs to transfer], so that the complete transmission of a data set consisting of 30 bits [3 bytes] takes 960 μs.

That’s almost 1000 μs, or 1 ms.

If there are 8 notes, or 2 notes and 6 other events (like controllers, after touch, pitch bend, time clock) in between, the outer events (notes) are 8 ms apart. Which can already be heard as a flam, depending on the sound.

Now multiply this with 16 Channels at the same time sharing this bandwidth, and you have a rather sloppy synth orchestra.

You can do a nice simple experiment to prove the limitation of the MIDI bandwidth easily. OTTOMH:

- Enable a MTC source to send MTC on the MIDI cable from a sequencer to a synth (any model)

- send an 16th note arpeggio from a sequencer to the synth over the same cable

- slowly increase the tempo of the MTC source to 300 and above

You‘ll hear how the synth will seemingly start to play out of time because the MIDI stream is flooded with MTC events and the notes cannot be sent at the correct time anymore. You can do the same with any other event type, you just have to find a way to generate them with fast cadence.

BTW, MIDI over USB is much faster.

• All of this, yet I still see some idiots protesting that DIN is the superior connection.:rolleyes:

Indulgence gets us friends, but truth gets us hatred.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• W000000W, a website update! Let's hope this web dev also knows his way around programming a badass TI AU for the brand new macOS! ;)

I'm currently holding off on upgrading my Mac (still run Mojave). But since I'm planning to get a new MBP with M1 Pro, Monterey is inevitable.

• Now that they’ve updated their website after years of it being broken, an official response regarding an update would be nice.

OB-6, Polivoks, Polivoks Pro, Virus TI x2, Waldorf M, MS-20, MS2000, Radias, Minilogue, Minitaur, Argon8, Erebus, Alpha Juno 2, TR-8S, Xio 49, Ultranova, Microfreak,

• For now I would suggest using the MysteryIsland Access Virus Editor 3 (build 9001), it will enable audio through USB, and I compiled https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver for midi. So I only have USB and power connected and it works like a charm.

We do ship our own usb driver too so there is no need to build one yourself.

• Access are absolute jokers.

Very expensive piece of kit that is redundant because they cannot be bothered to keep their software up to date.

What a disgrace!

The fact they are actually still selling them without actually telling people that if they don't have an ultra old version of MAC OS, they won't even be able to use them! What a scam!

• Access/Kemper posted that they are looking for a DSP developer again. This company has become a bad joke at this point......

• We do ship our own usb driver too so there is no need to build one yourself.

Hello there, I bought the Virus Editor and I do get sound from the Virus via USB, I don't get the MIDI through USB though. I must say that I attempted to install the "SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver" prior to getting the Editor and removed it manually before installing the latest version of the Editor on my (M1) MacBook, still no luck the Virus doesn't show up on the MIDI page. I tried contacting you on the 7th of May about this matter through your website contact thing but still got no answer. Hope you can help me out.

Edit : Everything works fine now for some reason !