Virus TI no Audio

• Hi

I have some issue with an Access Virus TI.

It sometimes crash or not boot up properly. Sometimes it get stuck in a boot loop... When it does boot up, I have no audio. I just run the song demo with the volume up and no sound from any outputs. (no usb connected) I look up various forums and since its not under warranty I have done the following:

-Replace the internal Battery

-Reset the Virus with the Arp Edit button during power up

-Did a hardware check within the Virus self test

-Check continuity of the main ribbon cable

-Look for dry/cracked soldering

-Check the Voltage regulators in/out

The only finding so far is the voltage regulator outputs (see attached photo). Since I don't have a diagram I am not able to confirm if this is actually a fault and what the correct value should be. I also noted a few solderings looking dry on the motherboard (to my surprise...) so I reflowed them but that didn't help.

Other than that, I am not sure where to look without the diagrams...I have contacted Virus but in the mean time can anyone help with that?

Much appreciated

• Have you tried reinstalling the latest firmware? I had an issue with no audio when I first updated my TI2. I noticed that things go screwy if I take the focus away from the updater while it is updating. Before the update, things worked. After the update, no sound. After reinstalling the firmware update, everything seemed to work.

• Have you tried reinstalling the latest firmware? I had an issue with no audio when I first updated my TI2. I noticed that things go screwy if I take the focus away from the updater while it is updating. Before the update, things worked. After the update, no sound. After reinstalling the firmware update, everything seemed to work.

Let me try that...thanks I will report back

• ok I have updated to the latest OS and did a factory restore, still no audio. Im pretty gutted. I tried to contact virus and I got an automated reply and got instructed to contact their service center in Germany. I emailed them a few days ago and did not hear from them. I am not sure what to do next...Hopefully I will hear from them eventually.

• hi, did you try to connect headphones to the VirusTi and use the audition button to play the actual preset?

(...use the master volume at 50%...)

hi, yes I tried that and also with an external midi input. I can see the midi signal in (quarter note symbol). But yeah, nil sound.

• I am open to any other advices/ideas…i can find some older threads about similar issue but I cant see the outcome…the discussion just stop abruptly…hope it doesn’t mean they got the hammer out and closed the case.! Has anyone had much luck with Kemper support or the service center in Germany? How is the support for access virus in general?

• Its a TI, not a TI2. About 10 years old.
    Their tech support in germany got back to my and recommended contacting virus and replacing the motherboard.
    Access support quoted €460 + tax + shipping for a replacement board. Its a pretty expensive repair. It would have been nice to have some more advices for troubleshooting to avoid such an expensive repair. But i guess it is what it is…

• > It sometimes crash or not boot up properly.

The voltage regulator that you marked with 2V is a 3.3V regulator (SPX1117 in TO-252 packaging), meaning the pin where the white line ends is ADJ/GND and not the output. 2V would make sense for the adjustable version since that would produce a 3.25V output but if it's not the adjustable output version, this pin should show 0V. It would be interesting to know what voltage the right-side pin (input) and the base plate (output) show.

The other voltage regulator in the same packaging is an MC33269 (marking 269AJ) with two resistors configuring it for 1.8V output. Hence, the base plate should show this voltage. Since the voltage on the ADJ pin is Vout-1.25V, the 0.5V you give is actually correct, so we know that the 1.8V rail is at least working.

My first course of action would be to try a different external power supply (9-12V, - outside/+ inside) and if that doesn't help, the internal power supply needs to be examined more closely. I'd assume the 3.3V rail isn't working as intended, for example because one or more of the SMD capacitors are faulty and can't keep the voltage stable reliably.

• Any news on this issue? I have exactly the same issue...TI (5.1.7) connected to MIDI, midi notes arrive but no output signal... reset, updated, change of motherboard battery, other power supply, the hole story...I guess it's a pure software thing... in sequencer mode and using a second output under surround the signal is there but very weak... maybe the TI is looking for its USB outputs and cannot find them?

• Any news on this topic? I just bought a Virus TI (desktop) and it seems that it doesn't work by itself. I tried to use it by sending midi messages via midi usb (with Ableton) and with regular midi (with my keyboard controller) but it doesn't seem to work unless I use it as a controller of the virus´plugin (inside my DAW) but no audio comes from the actual synth.

• hi there

truly horific thing!

my sincere condolences to all who experience that...

And after reading here an other threads ,i came to conclusion that possibly it is better for TI users to when finished with your work ,

to take psu of the socket.

I think STANDBY mode can be a culprit here,i think is it wearing out voltage responsible components,

and killing them and motherboard in turn.

It is maybe something that Access did not anticipated in design,and thought STANDBY will be a nice feature,

while in fact STANDBY puts extra stress.

In my opinion it should be simply on or off just by a mechanical switch.

so fellow Viruses ,if you done ,turn it off completely from power,DO NOT leave it on STANDBY,possibly it will safe regulators,caps and thus your machine.

bests

k

• Thanks kazeko! Good to know! I have my TI2 plugged into a power strip with other hardware also plugged into it. When I'm through with a session I put my TI into Standby but then turn the power strip off too, so that's good. I agree, they should have included an on/off switch. But no, Access thought it was more important to include a silly demo song as part of the permanent interface. X/

Cheers!

PS. Don't forget, even if you leave your TI in Standby, or disconnect the PSU from the unit, the PSU itself is still on and running if it is plugged in to the wall or a power strip that is left on.