Anyone found the solution for Snow TI sound crashes? SOLVED!!

• Hi I got Snow TI and after a couple minutes the sound cuts out and all you can hear is some random noise.

I read online that lots of the units had the same issues. Anyone ever found solution for it? I've done all the basics, firmware, reset, clean

but wont help, I think it could be the DSP chip, but before I replace it I thought I ask around.

Cheers!!

• AFAIK this is the sound of a crashing DSP… best to contact Access Music Support.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• Any luck ? I’m also having this issue, have you found any solution ? my unit seems more stable when it has been on power for some hours, coule it help to resolder/put pressure on the dsp?

• Before you replace the DSP entirely, can you simply reheat the BGA solder balls with a hot air gun? I wonder if it could be a bad solder joint and temperature plays a role. If that is what it is, no new DSP is required to fix the problem.

• I highly doubt its the actual processor....that isn't a component that would result a partial fail like that.

It seems more related to power in my opinion.

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• abraxa: There is no BGA components in the Virus Snow, only SMD, I already tried to re-solder most of the chips.

spryx: yes, it could be a power related issue but I tried with different psu and measured all the voltages on the board and everything seems good. I did a bit of research online and it seems that it is a common issue with the snow and most people think it is dsp related. anyhow we will see in a couple of days. still waiting for the part..

• I don’t think there’s a reason to buy these chips. As far as I can tell there was probably a bad batch of Snow units with this dsp issue. Not sure. I contacted Access support regarding this issue but they were really secretive. usually they are really helpful..

• I just received my brand-new TI2 Desktop (I love it!).

Is there a reason to buy a few of these DSP chips as spare parts?

There seem to be a number of suppliers who provide these chips, such as:

https://www.micro-semiconducto…-Freescale/DSPB56367AG150

In Stock 5508 pcs Reference Price(In US Dollars)

• 1 pcs
      $8.312
    • 10 pcs
      $7.667
    • 300 pcs
      $6.245
    • 600 pcs
      $5.944

What kind of pricing is this.....sounds trustworthy :P

• If those are the ones your TI2 is using then I'd buy two. Some TI2 apparently also use the 56321, so best to check before buying. If you have the skills to replace them then it's worth having them as spare parts, in my opinion. The only other "have seen breaking" parts in there are the RAM and the Flash but if the latter goes then you're out of luck anyway. For the RAM there'll be spare parts also in the future.

• Hey, finally got an update! I managed to replace the DSP IC and it fixed the problem. The virus snow is now fully working without any crashes!
    if anyone needs it the part no. is
    DSPB56367AG150

and it’s available on ebay in the UK

Thanks at least it seems there is a solution. Do you have any tips for the soldering rework tools/techniques you used?

Regards from Barcelona

• I don't recommend doing it yourself if you're not an experienced solderer. If you do indeed want to replace the DSP, I'd recommend carefully removing the PCB from the Virus and giving the board and the replacement DSP to someone who has proper equipment - like a laptop repair shop or if you can't find one, a phone repair shop.