Trouble Backing Up and Replacing Multi Patches

• I'd like to back up and clear out all my Multi patches currently saved from 0-15. I've manually backed them up with SysEx dumps from the Virus MIDI cable outs into my PC using MIDIOX. I'm also using a MOTU express XT MIDI interface.

My stored Multi arrangements are somewhat successfully being sent from my computer back to my Virus. Here's the issue: whenever I send a stored multi back, there are always several parts that are missing or wrong.

For example, I have a custom Multi where each of the 16 parts are empty patches with each part assigned to the corresponding MIDI chan. Part 1 is assigned to MIDI ch 1, Part 2 is assigned to MIDI chan 2 etc... If I go to another custom multi with many different patches like bass and swells and percussion sounds and I want to replace it with my Empty Multi....The old patch is only partially replaced with empty patches. When I just tried now the results were:

Parts 1-3 were correctly made to an empty patch
    Parts 4-8 were entirely wrong- the name and sound from the older multi remained
    Part 9 was correctly made to an empty patch
    Parts 10 and 11 were wrong, the sound/patches were not replaced.

You get the idea. Does anyone know how to solve this issue? I have no problems backing up and sending single patches with this method, it's only a problem with Multis.

To my knowledge, I cant back/up restore individual Multis using Virus Control Center or total integration.

Can you please advise? Thank you very much
    -Weston

• Yes - but no solutions.

Page166:

In earlier Virus models, Multi mode programs consisted of 16

Parts, each one referencing a Single program. The downside:

Multi programs depended on the location of all their refer-

enced Singles, so if you changed any program while working in

Single mode, Multi programs would change accordingly.

In the Virus TI however, each of the 16 Parts actually contains

the equivalent of a Single program. Parts also require a few

additional parameters (e.g. transposition, keyboard range)

which are all accessed via MULTI EDIT – hold down SHIFT and

press the master EDIT button to the left of the display. From

operating system revision 1.1 onwards, there is another 112

referencing Multi mode programs in order to supply you with

old and newfashion Multi mode program. The additional pro-

grams can be accessed on slot 17-127.

In simple words:

- Multi Part 1-16 are holding a NEW individual version of the selected Part - NO reference to the original single part.

- Multi Part 17-127 are holding references to the original Part.

Your problem comes possibily by loading the banks with new "sorted" voices.

e.g.: Multi Patch 17, part 1 is referencing to a sound called "Boom" in Bank RAM-A1, now, after reording the individual Single Parts, the Bank RAM-A1 holds the part "Bamm". Multi Patch 17 Part 1 is now referencing to "Bamm". This was, up until Ti, standard.

EDIT: just re-read your post - as you used Multi Part 1-16 only, I am a little puzzled.....is it a Ti or Ti2 or an older version A,B,C?

• Hello DeaDeus, thank you for your response. I am aware and understand what you have explained here. I am using a TI2. I have filled Multis 0-15 and now want to back them up and replace them for new Multi Arrangements. Before I start replacing them I want to make sure i can fully restore the one's a backed up.

I go thru the motions to save my Multis thru Sysex dumps using MIDIOX. But when I send a multi from my computer back to the virus to replace a given multi, it's only half restored. Certain 'parts' are properly transferred but other parts remain from the old Multi being replaced. Does that make sense?

Have you successfully backed up and been able to restore multi arrangements using SysEx dumps? If so, whats you process?

Thank you

-w