How to export and import one single sound?

• Dear Virus users,

I have a Virus KC and do not have total integration. Still, it should be possible to export and import one single sound (patch) to my computer, and import it to my Virus later. However I did not succeed.

In the manual I find some information about "MIDI DUMP TX" and "MIDI DUMP RX".

But it does not say HOW to execute this.

I choose the Virus program that I want to export (G18), went to MIDI DUMP TX " SingleBuff". I started the "record" button of a Midi channel in Logic ProX, and pressed "store" on the Virus. Im Logic, a small region appears in the Midi Channel with an "X" as text.

It seems that the information about this single program was stored to Logic (but I am not sure).

Now I want to transfer this information from Logic to the Virus again, to bank A5*

So to store the sound in A5, I go to virus patch A5, set the Virus on "MIDI DUMP RX" <Enable>. If I play Logic, the Virus screen show the SE signal. It seems the patch "arrived" in the Virus. But what next?

Because if I press "store", it stores the original A5 patch to A5. Not the G18 that I wanted to import from Logic. Thanks in advance for your help!

Casper

* I do know that I can store patch G18 in patch A5 directly in the Virus, but because this Virus will be sold and AFTER that I will buy a new one, I want to store some patches on my computer, and import them into my new Virus later.

• Sounds like you're doing everything right. A few things you could try/check:

Have you tried setting the MIDI device ID to the same number on both the Virus & the sequencer? Or set both to 'Omni'

I found receiving a MIDI dump did cack all when they were set to different numbers from each other

Although it did say 'receiving sysex' but then nothing else happened. & it was on a TI not a C.

Worth a try though eh?

I take it you checked the midi cable & midi in port of your Virus both work?

Is it receiving normal midi data (like notes & CCs etc...)?

Receive MIDI Dump's not set to off is it? (in the Config menu somewhere)

Also, if the sequencer has properly received the data you should be able to view a load of sysex data on there (loads of letters & numbers).

My sequencer is an MPC4000 & it lets me view the sysex data, I would assume Logic has a similar feature...?

After receiving the dump, does it sound like patch G18?

If yes, it's received the data correctly (it goes to the edit buffer) & you should just be able to save the patch like normal.

If no (I suspect this is the case & it will sound like patch A5) it's not received the sysex data.

Cheers yo

• thanks for your answer! Unfortunately for some reason it did not work. I guess a setting somewhere avoided accepting the new patch. I do not have the Virus anymore so before I sold it I wrote down all the parameters of the specific program so that I can still use it in the near future (I am thinking of buying a Darkstar because of the smaller keyboard).