New Virus TI2 oscillator unstable?

• Hi all,

I just have a new Virus TI2 Polar and it seems that the oscillators are unstable. I found this when checking the "start" sound (ROM-B 126, patch name: “start”). This is a sawtooth wave, and you will hear oscillator 1 only if you choose this patch. I heard some movement in the sound. I (only) changed the waveform to a sinus for a further check:

what happened is that the volume of the sinus goes up and down (to 0) and up again. This is very easy to detect by ear (and my oscilloscope confirmed it)

Oscillator 2 has exactly the same. I checked: every source of modulation is turned off (as you may expect for the "start" sound).

My questions are:

1) do other Virus TI2 owners encounter the same when going to ROM-B 126, and set the wave form to "sinus"? Can someone test this for me with his TI2?

2) In my opinion this cannot be normal. Does someone have an advise to solve this (before I return to the shop)?

Thanks & best regards,

Casper

PS: the oscilloscope confirmed that also the sawtooth wave is unstabe.

• ROM: B-126, "YamahFB1MS" - is just a simple bass sound on my model. You don't actually state the name of the patch (unless it's "start"?) - so I will assume it's the same. Can't say I experience anything remotely similar to you.

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• thanks for checking, but your virus (TI2 ?) will then probably have the patch with the “start” sound in another slot. Indeed on my TI2 the name of the patch is “start” (on my KC it was the same, but I do not have the KC anymore). I would be great if someone can check this.

(by the way: the same effect as I described in my first post occurs with the “init” patch. However I did find that on my TI the init-patch has the oscillator balance not set to oscillator 1 only).

Thanks!

• I solved it: it turns out that the INIT/START programs of my new TI2 Polar (stored in several RAM and ROM slots at number 127) are actually not what I consider an INIT/START sound: even in the INIT/START program, several parameters in the synth are set to values that cause quite a lot of movement of the sound. In an INIT/START program I expect no movement at all, and clean stable wave forms. This is not the case: even in the INIT/START programs, in the "effects" section, "analog boost" was turned on, "punch" was turned on. And several envelops in the oscillator section were not set as an INIT/START program should be (= no attack, no decay, full sustain, no release). And so on. I adjusted it all and made my own INIT patch from which I will work further. But it would have been nice it ACCESS would have delivered the Virus with a clean INIT program......