TI2 Desktop sometimes „freezes“ or drops out of audio when switching programs while running fast arp, a known OS bug?

• Hello,

our Virus TI2 Desktop sometimes freezes when switching programs (like, quickly in row), while being busy with playing an arp (with many notes and/or long sustaining notes). Operating system 5.1.3. „Freezing“ in a way that there is no audio output anymore or notes are hanging, while the user interface is still responding. Sometimes it later comes back, with sometimes playing many notes as if they had been queued up, sometimes one needs to power-cycle the machine, after that all is back to normal. I’m not very concerned about this in practical terms, just that I would like to know if this is a known behaviour or potentially a problem with this individual machine, in case of selling it.

I know 5.1.7 (from 2021) is the latest OS, could this maybe help?

I wasn‘t able to update so far, because the updater needs an older Mac OS version (pre Catalina).

Thank you!

• I have the same issue on a brand new TI2 Desktop. I did upgrade it to the latest firmware using an old iMac. However I still have the issue, so I don’t think upgrading will help…

How old is your unit?

Can you try playing the built-in demosong and keep it playing over and over on a loop?

I noticed on my unit when I play the demo song and leave it playing, often times I get the same issue, a loud constant beep… or a short beep and then it goes completely silent and sometimes even the knobs stop responding completely.

I have contacted my retailer and Access support, hope to find out if this is just a quirk or serious hardware issue, just like you. :(

It seems there have been more users with this issue if you search online, for example user ZX81 on this forum.

• > I noticed on my unit when I play the demo song and leave it playing, often times I get the same issue, a loud constant beep…

Unfortunately, the demo song is broken on TI2 (works fine on TI1), it's not a reliable indicator whether the unit is broken or not. When I play the demo song one of the DSPs hangs after a minute or two while the other DSP still continues to play. The same issue appears when using the audition feature. However, it works flawlessly otherwise.

Edit: That said, did you try using the panic key combo to cancel all notes when it hangs?

• ...switching programs (like, quickly in row)...

...don't forget: every time you switch a program it neds to be loaded into the memory of the Vrus. This takes time.....

And as the Virus has this (honestly) beautiful function to keep the last sound until next keystroke - it comes to strange behaviours