Total Integration with clock from another source?

• Hi -

I was wondering if it was possible to run the Virus with it's Total Integration Control Center but have it be clocked from a separate source from the laptop.

Basically I want to have the Virus plugged into the laptop for patch editing but I want all the other MIDI data including the clock to come from my Octatrack.

Thanks!

• From my experiments (I only have my Virus about a month at this point but I have spent significant time dedicated to this task), I learned that the Virus TI2 won’t talk to MIDI DIN if there is an active USB connection.

My strategy has been:

• Configure patches on the Virus (I don’t want to use the computer for sound design - I bought my Virus to learn how to use a hardware synth!)
    • Connect the Virus to my Mac
    • Save the patches using Mystery Islands VirusHE
    • Disconnect the Mac
    • Control and “play” the Virus from my MIDI network

HetherGrey I plan something very similar to what you’re trying to do. Currently I sequence my Virus and 3 other sound generators from Cubasis on my iPad. I play the lines into Cubasis from 2 of my instruments which have keyboards.

I have back ordered a Squarp Hapax hardware sequencer. When it comes, I will compose using that, instead of Cubasis. The DAW will be for tracking and mixing both my electronic and acoustic instruments.

I’ve tried doing everything in the DAW and found it very frustrating. Like many, I like hardware instruments and the like.

• Thanks, after playing around with it a bit more that was the impression I was getting.

I'm very much in the same boat, vastly prefer composing and performing on hardware then with a laptop. I don't mind the sound design aspect on the computer as much, which was a big part of why the TI was attractive. I'm sure I'll adopt a similar workflow, doing some sound design and patch / bank organization (not to mention custom arpeggiator presets) with the control center but moving away from the laptop to have it work with the rest of the rig and write and tweak sounds from there. I plan on making full use of the multi-timbral functions of the Virus with the Octatrack as the main sequencer, so having the control center to at least organize my patches if nothing else will still be a huge help.

It's too bad I won't be able to tweak patches on the laptop while the synth is working in the rig's MIDI network, but hey maybe that will keep me from over-thinking and over-tweaking sounds lol.

Regardless, absolutely love the synth. It's ice-cold in the best way possible and fits in so well as a compliment to my Analog Rytm and Moog Minitaur.

• It is an absolutely wonderful instrument!

The Virus isn’t always “ice cold.” Depending on how you tweak the patch, it can be quite warm and analog sounding.

Keep posting! We’ll both save time and energy by learning tricks from each other.

• It is an absolutely wonderful instrument!

The Virus isn’t always “ice cold.” Depending on how you tweak the patch, it can be quite warm and analog sounding.

Keep posting! We’ll both save time and energy by learning tricks from each other.

...and even people (I have my Ti for many many years) like me are keep learning - possiblebilities and impossibilities - workflow wise I must say, could the next generation better. To my opinion, most things can be done. But the many submenues, to reach certain features (e.g. to split the filters to the individual OSCs) when I am in a flow, destroys my creativity sometimes...

I have now an aged, but highly customizable controller, to get even more out of this lovely machine.

• Our of curiosity, which controller do you use?

Before I bought the Virus, I was using a Waldorf Blofeld, which as you may know, has only 7 knobs. It is a VERY deep synth, so programming it demands reliance on the “matrix” method of parameter entry, in addition to a certain amount of menu-diving. Someone does make a controller specifically for the Blofeld, but I never considered buying it.

For a time I thought about writing a mapping between my X Touch mixing control surface and the Blofeld, running on a BomeBox (a wonderful tool for computer-less MIDI mapping and translation). In the end, I decided that the Virus offered me more (including more knobs!) so I shelved the project.

• It certainly can sound quite warm!

I meant the 'ice-cold' thing as a great compliment, digital synths have a great vibe imo that again is a wonderful compliment to analog.

I'm also curious to hear what midi controller they are using...

I've been strongly looking into the FaderFox units, they seem to play really well with Elektron units and I'm sure could be configured to work with the Virus directly as well.

http://www.faderfox.de/

• Our of curiosity, which controller do you use?

Before I bought the Virus, I was using a Waldorf Blofeld, which as you may know, has only 7 knobs. It is a VERY deep synth, so programming it demands reliance on the “matrix” method of parameter entry, in addition to a certain amount of menu-diving. Someone does make a controller specifically for the Blofeld, but I never considered buying it.

For a time I thought about writing a mapping between my X Touch mixing control surface and the Blofeld, running on a BomeBox (a wonderful tool for computer-less MIDI mapping and translation). In the end, I decided that the Virus offered me more (including more knobs!) so I shelved the project.

It's the Bitstream 3x - second hand only as it is out of production for a while. (see the avatar picture)

If you need help, I have a custom template made and published here in the forum:

Bitstream 3x and Virus Ti - Parameter

And a PDF with the assigned function.

I use the Windows customizer for it, as a lot of programming is easier, but it can be done to a certain amount on the hardware too. All Sysex though needs to be done in the customizer.

It has even a motion recorder for any parameter, an own ARP, an own LFO, and an internal clock (if required). Plus a Crossfader and a ribbon control. All on 19"

32 knobs, 8 sliders, 8 assignable switches (toggle or switch), and a free running x-y knob (no centre spring) with an additional switch by pressing it down.

- and a "Full Metal" case :)

There is one video somewhere on the Tube showing somebody using it with a Virus - but I guess he was not very good in programming it.

If a Multi is used (MIDI Ch 1-8 e.g.) with up to 8 Parts, the template lets you adjust volume with the sliders and the ARP Patter, Swing, Note Length, and Octaves with the 32 knobs individually without going into the Parts.

For old synth it has a "Sync-24" (some call it DIN-Sync) too.

...I do not know where to stop :) - If you get bored, get a second Ti and hook it up to MIDI out 2 - you get a blow you'll never forget .....

It's a hidden gem.... not easy to program - but if done - you will never sell it again ;)