Virus TI crashing from automation

• Hi. I'm wondering if other people have issues with automation causing crashing, and know how to fix it.

I have a Virus TI2 that I bought in 2009. It crashes if I automate parameters. It crashes using Virus's plugin, using Mystery Island Plugin, or even without a computer, automating parameters with an Octatrack. I thought that my unit was just old and having problems. But my wife has a Virus snow. It also crashes when automating it (via Virus control or mystery island). It is also pretty old though. It is was given to me by a friend who bought it over 10 years ago.

When my Virus crashes, either the sound breaks up (like bit crushing) and gets stuck like that, or it suddenly hangs on a note for several seconds, and then all cuts out entirely.

I'm wondering if other people are having the same problems, and might know how to fix them. Also, I'm curious if older units like mine might be more likely to have this issue than newer ones, because I have considered buying a new one, but can't really afford it, and don't want to spend all that money if it still has that issue.

I pretty much stopped using my Virus several years ago because of this issue. But I have been really wanting to start using it again lately, but the constant crashing makes it pretty uusable. Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Since you are observing the crashes on two different Virus models of different age, regardless of the automation source, I’d assume it is related to what you automate or how you use automation and that the Virus is simply not designed to handle it.

Maybe you are flooding the Virus with too many MIDI CC messages at a very fast rate and/or are automating too many parameters at the same time.

Did you observe any pattern or specific use case which reliably allows to replicate the problem?

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• Thanks for the feedback. It crashes with very little automation though. I tried a bunch of times recently to simply automate wave select, index, cutoff freq, cutoff res and filter env amount. That is only 5 parameters, and I only had one instance of Virus going. It crashed constantly with those automations. I have had it crash with even less. There is definitely something wrong with mine. As for the other Virus (Snow) that my wife uses, I'm not sure how complex her patches are, but she said she says it crashes all the time from automation as well.

With my Virus TI, I remember years ago, I used to be able to have lots of automation on multiple instances of it, and it would work fine. That was with the Virus Control software. The Virus Control software crashes for me now if I have pretty much any automation. Mystery Island seemed to work better, but still would periodically crash. When I saw that automating it with just a few parameters from Octatrack makes it crash, I was pretty convinced my Virus is broken.

I realize that my Virus is kind of old (2009), so it's understandable if it doesn't work as well as it used to. I'm wondering it there is anything I can do to fix it though. Thanks again for the feedback.

• One thing I forgot to note was that I specifically have crashing when automating anything on the graintable or formant oscillators. I've tried assigning their parameters to mod or breath control in the mod matrix, and assigning those, instead of directly automating the parameters, but they still crash. I've noticed that automating things in the filter section doesn't crash it though.