Another way to create bandpass filter?

• Hey guys!

I'm pretty new to synth programming and the Virus, so pardon me if this is a newbie question / suggestion.

But from what I understand, when you have the filters in series and the cutoff link on (so filter 2 is offset to filter 1), and filter 1 is lowpass and filter 2 is highpass, and you put filter 2 on minus (below filter 1), you in effect create a bandpass filter right? If seems and sounds so to me. If so, there is more control over the bandwidth than using regular bandpass filter, because adjusting the filter 2 cutoff increases of decreases the bandwidth, right? And playing around with filter 1 will sweep the bandpass filter because filter 2 follows filter 1.

Am I thinking correctly here?

Thanks!

Steffen

• The great thing with using both filters is that you get two resonance peaks, which can create some vocal characteristics. Especially when modulating both filter cutoffs independently.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ozon ()

• ... and a filter created with a HP/LP has a more flat curve than a single resonance filter with just a low Q.

I usually prefer such combinations in cases where filters perform key following, so each note has the same relative bandwidth.

• The great thing with using both filters is that you get two resonance peaks, which can create some vocal characteristics. Especially when modulating both filter cutoffs independently.

At the beginning I was destabilized, with the matrix of the 2 filters (FILTER section) Then in fact to obtain what you say, it is necessary to be in Routing "Parallel + Link "off" (EDIT/ "common 1/2") I used a lot on other places where there are other filters (OTHERS or OSC VOLUME)

• Then in fact to obtain what you say, it is necessary to be in Routing "Parallel + Link "off" (EDIT/ "common 1/2")

You will not get a Bandpass filter in Parallel mode, therefore the above is not correct.

Also, you can modulate both filters in Link mode but Filter 2 will be modulated relative to Filter 1. So again, your assumption is not correct that it is necessary to unlink the filters.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+