Power Supply Issues

• Hi everyone,

So I think I may have been very stupid here. I normally have two power supplies plugged in next to each other and I plugged a 5A/250V supply into my Access Virus Ti2. It was working fine which is why I never noticed and then I realised a strange noise coming from my synth. Got a light shock off the synth and immediately unplugged it. I have left the usual supply at a studio so I can't plug it back in to test if its survived. Does anyone know if this will have ruined my synth?? I really don't know enough about this things and im kinda scared :/

• > plugged a 5A/250V supply into my Access Virus Ti2.

250V is rather unlikely. What voltage did it have? 5V?

> It was working fine which is why I never noticed

If it was indeed 5V then I'm not surprised it worked.

> and then I realised a strange noise coming from my synth

Probably the inductors from the internal switching power supply operating at a different frequency than normal, nothing I'd lose sleep over. Do describe the sound you heard, though.

> Got a light shock off the synth

That's because of the unearthed power supply you were using, that's unfortunately normal and nothing to be concerned about. The voltage can reach 100V but can only supply extremely low current through high impedance which is why no damage is done.

> I have left the usual supply at a studio so I can't plug it back in to test if its survived.

That's okay, the TI2 will be just fine and if it has indeed been working with the 5V supply then I see no harm continuing to use it this way. Depends on the "strange sound", though.

> Does anyone know if this will have ruined my synth??

Again, depends on the sound. I see no reason why anything would break, however, so I'm optimistic that it's fine.