Multimode - keyboard behaviour

• Hello all together,

I have a question concerning the keyboard to midi parameter. It is pretty simple to as there are just 2 possibilities - enabeled and disabeled.

Which means in my understanding that I can decide (given the part that is selected while playing) midi is put out or not.

I have a TI2 (keyboard version of course) and I am setting up some multis for an upcoming live show.

I made some splits that use internal sounds. Now I have a vocoder that I want to send notes to that shall get the sounds from a lower register.

My idea was to disable all parts from spitting despite the part that does not sound at all for triggering the vocoder.

I learned that the TI2 plays midi notes no matter what I select.

I tried it with local on or off - no difference.

No additional info in the manual. Hope someone tells me what I am doing wrong.

Best

Whistler:)

• If I understand; all the tracks are only for the sounds of the IT and the notes must not send in midi, except ONE track: you need a second keyboard for the EXT vocoder. It is connected to the midi IN in the TI and from the TI the midi THRUE to the IN of the second keyboard

For TI: CONFIG/Knob Behavior/ Target: "Internal" - CONFIG/ "MIDI 1/3" Soft Thru: "on"

Second idea: impose on the TI its noon in personal ID. But, I'm not sure, because the EXT vocoder must also have the possibility to choose / modify its ID (as does the TI):

TI = CONFIG/ "MIDI 1/3" MIDI Device ID: "your choise" (not "omni")

VOC EXT = idem: ID same as TI

• Hi Lioio and thank´s for your reply,

maybe I was not acurate enough with my question.

I want to play sounds on the 5 octaves from within the Virus synth.

Single sounds, layers, splits you name (depends on the track). All of these sounds shall not put out midi notes when played.

I thought that was what I can rule with the keyboard to midi parameter - this does not change anything at all ( so I don´t what it really actually does).

The idea with sending midi to my vocoder would be to set a keyboard range (silent instrument/patch volume -64) to just send midi.

I thought this would work with setting only this instrument to keyboard to midi enabeled.

But as I said there is not difference. No matter what I set enabeled/disenabeled it always sends midi.

This has nothing to to with device id, nothing. This will only come into play when using SysEx messages.

So my question was. Does anyone know what the keyboard to midi parameter is all about?

Thank´s in advance.

• Hi,

What I would do (but it requires juggling between 2 parts) = MULTI Mode / Tracks 02,03,04,05 all on channel 2 / separation of note ranges (Low Key / Hight Key: C0#/C1 + C1#/C2 + C2#/C3 + C3#/C4 ) and track 01 on channel 1 (C5/C6) for the vocoder. On the other hand, you will have to manually select which Track you want to be on (either 01 or 02). The vocoder in channel 1.

• Hi and thank's again for replying.

I would just want to know if it is really possible to restrict parts (split secrions) from emitting midi notes.

This is (imho) what the keyoard to midi parameter implies.

Am I wrong. If not. It would not be necessary to juggle channels.

I would just set all splits to a (any, it does not matter) channel and just suppress midi notes out on all but the (internally muted) Virus part. 

• What if you plug in an EXT keyboard?
    This would drive the vocoder in channel 2 (OUT of the keyboard in the IN of the Virus + THRUE of the virus in the IN of the vocoder). On the Virus keyboard, you play the SPLIT (all in channel 1) As a result, only channel 2 comes out of the THRUE (thus, the midi data from channel 1 will not pass) :)

• the keyboard to midi parameter.

Where is this parameter (section, page) and what is the exact name? I wasn’t able to find anything similar to what you describe.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• An idea: use this box which allows you to split a keyboard =

https://midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

Powerful tool this is. I just downloaded the manual. Nothing for a newbe though...reminds me of my Bitsteam 3x - all needs to be programmed by hand - but you get what you need ;)

Mentioning small boxes: Just today I received the CME U6MIDI Pro. It can "only" merge, route, thru put, and extensively filter data ;) but can be configured via a simple application for PC, Apple, or a mobile phone.

• Was just about to post about this but tried searching first ... Keyboard to MIDI as far as I can tell from the manual is supposed to disable MIDI output of a part but it doesn't appear to be implemented. MIDI is always output regardless of the setting.

My workaround is to assign these parts to unused channels. Since my MIDI interface is set not to send any events from the Virus back to the Virus, I can freely use the Virus Keyboard as both a controller and a self-contained synth, as I originally bought it to do.

It would be preferable if Keyboard to MIDI worked, but this is has one plus side in that it's simpler to understand.