Voice stealing?

• Contrary to what the manual indicates, it seems that Virus TI (not 2) doesn't implement voice stealing very well if at all. Voice stealing meaning when the oldest notes are stopped prematurely to allow new notes to play. Instead when playing a pad with unison at 5 voices and a slow release and you play too many chords too quickly, some notes will simply not play.

(And I've already brought in osc 2 and reduced the unison to 3 to solve the issue, just pointing out that the behavior is not what I expected.)

• Hi. The virus allocates dsp across channels. If you are using a heavy part in multi or seq mode, try splitting your notes.

if you are in single mode, I believe both dsps are already utilized.

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Hi. The virus allocates dsp across channels. If you are using a heavy part in multi or seq mode, try splitting your notes.

if you are in single mode, I believe both dsps are already utilized.

AFAIK, TI (not TI2) and Snow have only one DSP. Which aside from aesthetics is the only difference between TI and TI2 models.

Voice stealing on the Virus is done in a unconventional way, because it doesn’t have real voices but DSP calculation power of which you need more for more voices.

So the synth engine first tries to hide the fact that there’s not enough DSP cycles available by rendering sounds progressively less accurate down to omitting voices. I am a bit confused though, that it does not play new notes instead of cutting of decaying ones but it might in fact be less audible and therefore less disturbing for the listeners.

If you share the patch and chord sequence, we could check whether our TIs behave the same.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+