Anyone know what the context menu in the TI editor does? + Any tips on layered sound design?

• I found out today that you can right click some parameters in the TI editor, such as Shape / PW, Osc volumes, the Envelopes and Pan, etc.

The menu lists "Add X to Automation", and you aoslo have access to Part #1 - #16's Filter Cutoff, Resonance, and the Softknobs.

Anyone know what these are for? Are they for linking a parameter to the parameter of a different part?

This seems hopeful to me, because I want to create layered sounds and have linked control over certain parameters to gel them together.

Has anyone achieved this with the TI internally?

One thought that struck me today is to simply expose the parameters in Ableton, and link them with Macros, and also use maxforlive LFO's to create layered bass sounds etc..

Also, do you guys know about others hardware synths that are multitimbral and that can communicate between layers?

Cheers,

Chris

• Hi there,

to my understanding, the only way is to use one of the 6 matrix places for every part used.

Example:

- Slot 6: Source=Mod Wheel - Value = -64 - Target = Patch Volume

Moving the Mod Wheel will now change all volumes at the same time

My though: Bad idea cause you will lose the Mod Wheel as a manipulator for sweeps etc. and if you have a desktop version, like me, you do not have a Mod Wheel (or the one of your keyboard is occupied then).

My tip: Use a controller for exactly the same.

Two options:

1. Use the source of "Controller 3, 9, 12-16" and address the values above (you might like to use +63 as value)

-- Controller 3,9, and 12-16 are equal to CC 03, 09, .... so careful what the selected controller is doing to the whole matrix or the keyboard used

-- I have a PolyBrute, where the ribbon controller is fixed to CC09. This would be no good for me, as I like to have the ribbon controller doing nothing else but manipulating the settings of the PB.

2. A simple controller, where you can set the CCs to your taste would be the other solution

-- and you can spare Slot 6 for other manipulation of the Virus by setting all parts to the same midi channel, and target CC07 (Volume) of the Virus in the controller

As there are really good options for manipulation hidden in submenus, I would go for a bigger controller.

Some examples

- Panorama Spread give a great roomy spread, turning it down will concentrate all in the middle

- Split or Serial Filter spread - I love this, Filter 1 one side Filter 2 the other (great in combination with Panorama Spread)

- Cutoff Filter Link allows the manipulation of each Filter - Try it out for each setup, as it might result in loss of punch

- Note Hold is great for atmosphere type of sounds. Klaus Schulze did not have Note Hold, he used chess figures of metal ;)

To your last question:

- I am still using an old Yamaha RS7000 - it has additional to the 16 volume controls (CC07) for each voice a master volume knob

- Same for the MPCX

- The PolyBrute works differently - it has two independent parts but running through one set of effects. It is possible to layer them, but you will have the same effects applied. But as said - it is a completely different synth with a huge matrix.

Sorry for the many words ;)

Edit: Another plus for an external controller - you do not need to program the matrix every time, as it will target always CC07

• Hi DeaDeus, Thanks for the extensive answer, although I'm not sure you understand my first question, or in case you do, I didn't understand your answer. What I'm asking, is what the options in the context-menu (which appears when right-clicking certain parameters) do?

Sure, I do have the MIDI controllers at my disposal, such as the Launch Control XL, which I could use, but I was more hoping for the possibility ot linking one parameter of Part 2 to Part 1 on the TI, to use the interface of the TI itself. Again, that's sort of the direction of my though with the macros in Ableton, which then could be mapped to a MIDI controller.

I do use the Controller 9, 12, etc quite extensively, to create macros, And of course they could further be mapped to the Ableton macros.

This doesn't help with layering though..

Cheers,

Chris

• Hi Chris

As I do not use a DAW at all and as I find the Access SW not perfect to control the Ti, I was going for "Has anyone achieved this with the TI internally?" :)

As far as I know it is not possible within the Ti, just workarounds.

I do not know the software good enough to give an answer for your main question - I just use the Control Center to make backups.

Attached you'll find a midi cheat sheet I received from the Virus team last year (it is also attached somewhere else in this form....)

Even though it lists all possible midi controls - what you are looking for is missing. So if it would be possible it must be in the software as a macro.

Sorry, that I couldn't be of any help and as I did not know how deep your knowledge is, I extended my comment a bit...

• AFAIR that context menu in the VC plugin allows to assign MIDI controllers to any of the parameters of the TI. But I never used that. Instead, I use Automation from within Cubase.

There’s a manual called Setting up Virus TI for Ableton Live. How to do Automation is described in chapter 5. I would start with that.

Bass Player and Synthesist.
    Virus TI2 Darkstar | Virus TI2 Desktop | Sub 37 | Voyager RME | Machinedrum | Analog Four | Digitone | MPC Live | NI Maschine+
    Mac OS 13.5.1 (Ventura) | Cubase Pro 11.0 | Ableton Live 9.6 | Logic 10.4 | MainStage 3.4 | NI Komplete Ultimate 13 | RME Fireface UFX+

• AFAIR that context menu in the VC plugin allows to assign MIDI controllers to any of the parameters of the TI. But I never used that. Instead, I use Automation from within Cubase.

There’s a manual called Setting up Virus TI for Ableton Live. How to do Automation is described in chapter 5. I would start with that.

Thanks Oli.

I'm already using automation in Ableton, was just curious wat this was about. When testing the menu, I think you're right. The context menu allows for exposure of all these parameters for every part regardless of which part you're editing. So just shortcuts then, basically, I thought I was onto something exciting here. Dang it!

• Aha, got it :)

Your info may still be of help, I might have to succumb to linking stuff to my MIDI controllers anyways. But a man can dream....

Regarding the VC, once I got it working (which was an extensive hassle over a long period of time), I'm loving it. It's not perfect, but good enough. Really wish more hardware manufacturers would do this. This is coming from a dude who made music for over 15 years all in the box though before trying hardware synths in my setup, to each his own.

Thanks for your tips!