Multi-Mode Total integration?

• We've been asking for years but it seems nothing happened...
    is there any solution to manage the multi-mode from the VC plug-in and not to use the seq mode?
    The multi-mode has always been a native feature of all Virus synth (talking about the hardware), so why can't we work within the multi-mode from the VC plug-in??? To me this is unacceptable from a so called "Total Integration" system...Sucks BIG time...that is one of the reasons why I haven't been using the VC plug-in for years...crossing my fingers to see the dream come true in OS4...And don't take me wrong, I love my Virus synths but it drives me crazy to see that something essential is underestimated.

• We've been asking for years but it seems nothing happened...
    is there any solution to manage the multi-mode from the VC plug-in and not to use the seq mode?
    The multi-mode has always been a native feature of all Virus synth (talking about the hardware), so why can't we work within the multi-mode from the VC plug-in??? To me this is unacceptable from a so called "Total Integration" system...Sucks BIG time...that is one of the reasons why I haven't been using the VC plug-in for years...crossing my fingers to see the dream come true in OS4...And don't take me wrong, I love my Virus synths but it drives me crazy to see that something essential is underestimated.

the only differences i can think of are keyboard zones and selectable midi channels. both we intentionally omit from Total Integration mode to keep things simple (not speaking of the fact that both can easily be done in your sequencer application). what's missing for you?

virus control is not indented to be a multi mode editor.

marc

• The biggest thing is being able to lift and drop presents to and from the multis (most of my first 16 multis have unique presets in them). I would have preferred more of the first 16 style multi slots than more preset banks (i use multis for when i perform), as i dont like filling up all my ram banks with several slight variations on the same patch (yes i could put them in the ROM banks, but then i cant edit and resave them when im out and about).

It does seem a bit against the 'total integration' concept to omit something because you can 'probably' do it in your sequencer. I actually had to make my own VST to sort out the midi routing for me, but it doesnt do key ranges, so i lose that...

• I'd like to be able to manage all my multis at a glance, I need that really. Create a new multi from an existing one and dropping sounds from the multi to a single ram location.
    This is because sounds may have been edited within a multi, they are stored "modified" in the multi and they don't exist in the list of single ram slots. So I'd like to browse my multis, listen to the sounds and pick any of the sounds stored in several different multis to create a new one. That's what I call an essential feature.
    For each of my songs I use a multi and I want it to be instantly saved within my Virus Ti without any additional manual operation (that's what the total integration concept was designed for I guess). when you play with the VC plug-in using the "forced" SEQ mode, your "SEQ" (i.e the current multi) is saved on the PC side with the rest of the project (depending on your sequencer), it is not saved on the Ti.
    Also my multi bank will soon be filled up...no more space left and I'd appreciate to have a cool way to archive and organise them.
    I'd really appreciate if you could hear me Marc :) cause I suppose that I'm not the only one looking for that. Every time we talk about the Ti with my friends, we always complain about that because we use multis a lot.

• darkvince,

the way i understand your reply is that you want to manage multi mode settings with your computer. that is an understandable request but no reason to say that total integration is unacceptable or sucks. virus control is not a multi mode editor and we have no plans to change that. it would make things much more complicated in many ways and the drawbacks wouldn't in our opinion be worth the benefits.

Zitat

I'd like to be able to manage all my multis at a glance, I need that really. Create a new multi from an existing one and dropping sounds from the multi to a single ram location. This is because sounds may have been edited within a multi, they are stored "modified" in the multi and they don't exist in the list of single ram slots.

you can do all that already within the virus.
    as for your quest of having more than 16 memory slots for embedded multi patches you need to understand that this is a memory restriction. the 118 "traditional" (referring) multi mode patches have been added later and do not eat up as much memory in the virus.
    if you need more memory, dump the multi patches into the song using a sysex dump (an "arrangement dump" would do for instance). again, this all exists and support will happily help you to figure out how it works.

best, marc

• Hello Marc,

Zitat

the way i understand your reply is that you want to manage multi mode settings with your computer. that is an understandable request but no reason to say that total integration is unacceptable or sucks.

Yes, I'd like to manage multi-mode from the VC plug-in. The reason why I said it's not acceptable is because ACCESS say it loud: "Total Integration". The fact is, it's a partial integration because the native multi mode management that exists on ACCESS synths for years has been set aside.
    And the reason I said "it sucks" is because some users think it's a "must have" and you think it's not worth it...we spend hours programming our synths and our songs so I think we know what is a "must have" talking about efficiency and productivity.

Zitat

virus control is not a multi mode editor and we have no plans to change that.

Sad news... :thumbdown:

Zitat

it would make things much more complicated in many ways and the drawbacks wouldn't in our opinion be worth the benefits.

"more complicated"? there's probably a technical reason behind the fact that you don't want to implement the multi-mode management but I don't think it is complicated to select a multi number and work with it from the VC control.
    Talking about the benefits, it would have make a "full" Total Integration 8o but if you want to keep it "partial", what can I say?

Zitat

if you need more memory, dump the multi patches into the song using a sysex dump (an "arrangement dump" would do for instance). again, this
    all exists and support will happily help you to figure out how it works.

Thanks a lot :evil: MIDI dumping thru Sysex is what I used to do for the past 20 years...I was hoping for something more sophisticated and user friendly from the total integration concept.

Sad to read that I'm not heard. Let's hope OS4 will be worth it.

• Actually the extra patches request came form me - and its no use dumping them, i want more than 16 simultaneously!

I voice the need for it because there is no satisfactory workaround...

• Yes, I'd like to manage multi-mode from the VC plug-in. The reason why I said it's not acceptable is because ACCESS say it loud: "Total Integration". The fact is, it's a partial integration because the native multi mode management that exists on ACCESS synths for years has been set aside.

total integration is a concept to integrate a hardware synthesizer with a sequencer. it is much more than an editor, in fact the patch editor itself is just a part of the concept. it doesn't say or mean that you can edit everything with virus control. it would be a partial integration if we would make it look like you can edit every aspect of the virus ti. i don't think we do.
    virus control switches the virus ti into a special mode which co-exists with the single mode and multi mode. but you cannot use all those modes in parallel, that's why you cannot edit a multi while virus control is running.

marc

• Since TI is a VSTi counterpart of the hardware, and thus is supposedly Totally Integrated like any other VSTi, The multi mode should be accessible like say the Korg M1 Legacy, though there are hundreds of examples other than that. Hope to see this in OS5, If it's a matter of the TI hardware's architecture that this may not be possible, kindly say so.

• Hello to everyone... I´m new here, I don´t use to participate too much in the forum, but I find it really usefull.. Well Firstly just say that I´m a Virus Ti user since almost 4 years now aswell as lots of hardware devices... So i´m very interested on that as I play the virus without computer... I agree that 16 slots for the multimode is not enough.

I found this topic looking for a solution on how to save the virus control projects in to a Multipatch, I would like to say that even if the VC vst is not a multimode editor, ok... But why not give the chance to the TI users on saving your VC preset as a MULTI patch, and use it for playing Live, a lot of virus users play with them on stage and I think is just an esential detail that can make the things really easier... It Is that too difficult?, just allow you to save the 16 parts in to the Virus.

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for my english.

Julian Calvo.

• Maybe a bit OT but as a live device I asked myself why the virus has just up/down keys to select a patch / multi-.

It's quite unlikely to impossible that you always organize stuff in a straight order so some buttons for random access would be a great deal. Maybe this idea is too vintage or to simple in our pc beloved times...?

Don't tell me one can set program change commands to buttons on a controller keyboard or external device - I haven't seen one yet where this is really simple and intuitive - if it's possible at all without an editor. Editors are useful for detailed editing but usually do not make this simple task fast and more pleasant.

• It's a shame the reverse process is not possible...

To save SINGLE patches from an embedded multi, press [STORE] in Multi Mode, select the destination "Store Single Menu", hit Store and save the patch somewhere in the Virus. VC will sync it up next time.
    You can also dump the arrangement to your sequencer, store it as a MIDI file (Format 0), place it in the patches folder and access the patches via VC.

Though Multi mode and Sequencer mode do have 16 parts and a range of similar parameters, they do work a bit different and are not compatible in both directions (which is one of the reasons their editing is not supported in Virus Control).

-timo

• Well most of my multis are in the 16 onwards range so the first bit is redundant as they are already stored in the RAM banks (yes, all the little variations of the same patch used in different multis - and they can't go into ROM because I need to be able to tweak them and save), though useful to have mentioned in the forum for those that bother to search.

I'm aware of the dissimilarities between multi and VC in their setup, but there are a lot of common parameters, and I'm pretty sure these are the ones that people actually care about transferring (ie the time consuming and hard to remember ones).

They both have the patch, the pan/volume and output channel(s), the pitch offset could be superimposed onto the osc pitch values if it were really a problem and thats about it, really. Also, MIDI channel settings can be accomodated in the sequencer as can key ranges so VC doesn't need to worry about that.

• Though we still have not figured out how to get all 4 parts on the Snow to sound off at the same time using Sonar 8.5, Minihost, and Savihost, (any ideas?), I have been able to save a 4 part Multi as a .FXP, and recall it through whichever host. So I am hoping this will allow us to recall Multi's with the VC? (not worried about storing them in the Snow's hardware,... yet.), as all parameters do save. This is important to us as we are likely going to use our future Multis again in other songs. Any ideas on all this?

Thanks!

Chris

• On the Virus, press [STORE], select "->Multibuffer", press [STORE]. When you exit Virus Control, go to Multi Mode and press [STORE] again to store it to some multi location.

-timo

To save SINGLE patches from an embedded multi, press [STORE] in Multi Mode, select the destination "Store Single Menu", hit Store and save the patch somewhere in the Virus. VC will sync it up next time.
    You can also dump the arrangement to your sequencer, store it as a MIDI file (Format 0), place it in the patches folder and access the patches via VC.

Though Multi mode and Sequencer mode do have 16 parts and a range of similar parameters, they do work a bit different and are not compatible in both directions (which is one of the reasons their editing is not supported in Virus Control).

-timo

That is very useful. I wondering how to do that.

• i was stuck trying to get different zones setup in VC because my keyboard (korg-m50 ) can not filter zones that are sent MIDI. so i have a work around. And that is to use the note filter midi effect in Cubase 5.
    better than nothing :)