Virus & USB 3.0

• i recently read an article for USB 3.0. Many of new devices seems to support this feature, mostly HDD and Cameras.
    This new feature provides a fourth transfer mode at 4.8 Gbit/s. The raw throughput is 4 Gbit/s, and the specification
    considers it reasonable to achieve 3.2 Gbit/s (0.4 GByte/s or 400 MByte/s) or more after protocol overhead.

My Questions are:
    Will we see it Virus TI's?
    Is it possible to see it or it has to be upgrade to the chipset?

I think is something really cool that may solve several sync issues.
    Although i believe that the best option would be a Firewire chipset (Maybe in TI3 :rolleyes: ).

All the best.
    D.

• Hi,

USB3.0 supports older USB2.0 and 1.1 devices, but connectors will be different (USB3.0 has additional lines defined), so hubs might provide two types of connectors then. So, any "legacy" USB device will be able to work.
    But currently, there is only one USB3.0 host chip and (AFAIR) only 2 USB3.0 devices, also, we can't predict how reliable the first generations of USB3.0 hosts will be.

Nevertheless, the Virus will work, but won't be able to use any new features (speed, power modes etc.) from USB3.0.

Find these links for more information about USB and USB3.0:

http://www.usb.org/developers/ssusb
    http://www.usb.org/about/faq
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

cheers
    -timo

• Thanks for the info Timo, thought was the same connector but didn't search it a lot as it seems.

AntonyB i didn't mention latency anywhere , my problem and i think in most of the VC users its syncing with DAW's.
    we all know that USB isn't the best solution for transferring data in two directions, hopefully the next generation will be with Firewire, or even better Firewire 800 ! :D

Thank you for your replies and infos.
    D.

• synchronisation and latency are related, though. More bandwidth does not improve potential for synchronisation, except by reducing transmission time (rather than trasmission delay), which I'm not sure is the issue at the moment...

Having said that, there may be some new tricks in USB 3 to aid synchronous transfers, it could also make things a lot worse. One thing is for sure, in the early days it will almost certainly be the latter.

• Just a quick note for people:

If you have a 'Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD7' Motherboard, the Virus TI will not work correctly when plugged into the onboard USB 3.0 ports. I would suggest using the main USB 2.0 ports (highlighted in yellow on the back of the board.)

Leaving this note here in case anyone searches for help for this motherboard model.

Jim.

• I tried using my USB3.0 port on my Asus G73JW under Windows 7, and after a few seconds it tells me that the device can't be initialized (or whatever the language). Probably an issue with the laptop. Good to know that the failure doesn't mean I'm missing an opportunity to solve the severe latency problems I'm having with the Asus, at least. I've pretty much resigned myself to either getting a different computer into which I can install a dedicated USB port (mine are ALL hubs) or one which will let me use my ancient MOTU 828 firewire interface (no firewire on the Asus). <sigh>

• Don't discount the Motu.. I can't speak for the preamps but the regular line ins boast some amazingly transparent conversion. They're topping the list in properly done tests we're doing on gearslutz at the moment! I just got rid of my Steinberg MR816 in favor of a Motu 828mk3 and might get rid of my Mytek as well after some firsthand tests. I don't care about preamps as I have a nice external preamp so it's all about conversion quality and reliable drivers.