VST effects when using Virus Control?

• Hey, I have posted a thread like this one but have had no response so I will give it a try again. I am currently using Ableton Live 8.0.5 and I am trying to add my vst effects to the Virus control. The only problem is that when I add an effect it applies to all parts in the Virus control. Does anyone have any idea how to insert a vst effect to only one part of the Virus control? Thanks for the help.

• Yuu need to send your parts to different outputs in the VC.
    Then in live you will have to create "external instruments" for the second and third part.

Hey, thanks for your reply. What is confusing me is exactly how to do what you said lol. I have gone to the common tab for each part and assigned part 1 to USB1 Left and Right in the main out section, part 2 to USB2 Left and Right, and part 3 to USB3 Left and Right.
    Now when I play all 3 parts only part 1 is being played through the channel with the Virus Contol plug-in. How do I get sound from the other 2 parts? We are only allowed to use one instance of Virus Control plug-in so I am a little confused. Thanks again.

P.S. When you say create external instruments, exactly how and what should I do? Create a Midi or audio channel,etc.?

• Hey, thanks for your reply. What is confusing me is exactly how to do what you said lol. I have gone to the common tab for each part and assigned part 1 to USB1 Left and Right in the main out section, part 2 to USB2 Left and Right, and part 3 to USB3 Left and Right.
    Now when I play all 3 parts only part 1 is being played through the channel with the Virus Contol plug-in. How do I get sound from the other 2 parts? We are only allowed to use one instance of Virus Control plug-in so I am a little confused. Thanks again.

P.S. When you say create external instruments, exactly how and what should I do? Create a Midi or audio channel,etc.?

Hey, I think I may have got it! I set up some audio channels and selected "audio from" on the drop down menu and selected the virus parts I wanted the audio from lol I then put my effects on the audio channel. The effects seemed a little off for some reason, maybe delay or latency, not sure. Also when I move the volume fader on the audio channel, the volume will change but the meter does not show the volume change. I am going to screw around some more, if you have an other tips that would be great. Thanks again!

• You can do it this way, but then you need one midi track + one audio track for each part.

In the Live browser, under instrument, you have one called External Instrument, drop it like a vsti. There you can set your midi destination and audio inputs.

Basically for the second part, you would set MIDI to the VC , channel 2 and get the audio from the VC USB2,
    then midi channel 3 and audio from vc usb3 for the thrd part.
    This way you need just 1 track per part (midi+audio).

• You can do it this way, but then you need one midi track + one audio track for each part.

In the Live browser, under instrument, you have one called External Instrument, drop it like a vsti. There you can set your midi destination and audio inputs.

Basically for the second part, you would set MIDI to the VC , channel 2 and get the audio from the VC USB2,
    then midi channel 3 and audio from vc usb3 for the thrd part.
    This way you need just 1 track per part (midi+audio).

Hey, thanks a bunch for that tip with the external instrument, it really frees up space and makes things a lot easier! It has been sitting there and I never even thought of it! This is a big help, thank you

• Can you make a video of how you did this please? :$
    And isn't it possible to put VST's on all channels? Only 3?

Hey, the way I see it, you could put Vst's on all channels but the Virus Control Plug-in only has 3 outputs so you can only use 3 channels to route the audio.

• I see, but is it possible to make a video of this? I'm not sure how this is done :/ It's really annoying!

I am not at home but I am also unsure how to make a video on my computer yet for this. Just open the Virus Control. Then insert 2 midi channels in Live. Put the "external instrument" vst on each channel. Now in the Virus control, select the parts you want to use and go to the common section to set select their outputs. Make sure you select different outputs for each part. I use USB2 left and right and USB3 left and right. Then go back to your midi channel with the external instrument plug-in and use the box where the routings are listed and route the "midi to" the part you want in Virus Control and the "audio from" the part you want in the Virus control. It is a little hard to describe but simple once you figure it out. I basically learned how to do it from the user "mbncp" in this thread.