Lady Gaga Detuned/unisoned saw bass tips

• I think that is what it is anyway, i did try it once, on a software synth and got decent results, however i can't seem to get it right on my virus.
    The sound that im talking about kicks in at the verse, she sings with that baseline im talking about, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Xq51eLJ94&feature=fvst
    Please give it ago and tell me how you think it could be done, similar of course.

Edit: I have a Virus Ti Desktop

• if you make a hyper saw and turn the local unison up a bit then already you are pretty close add another hyper saw slightly out of tune with the other one. Add some Reverb and then in the FX add a frequency shifter turn the mix up to 100 then play around with that.

Doing this will give that slightly discordant sound that is on the record, its by no means 100% perfect but I am basing this on about 5 mins with my virus after reading your post. If you fiddle around with the parameters ( which is what the virus and any synth is all about ) then i'm sure you will get close enough, as well as learning more to make re creating sounds much more natural for your self in the future.

Hope this helps and you can carry on with the most important thing making music :thumbup:

• Haha, okay i will try it, and please.
    Don't answer "it's a hypersaw" I'm not stupid.
    I've recreated many many sounds, but getting this one "right" is not simple. If it was "only a hypersaw", then why would i ask?
    X(

• if you make a hyper saw and turn the local unison up a bit then already you are pretty close add another hyper saw slightly out of tune with the other one. Add some Reverb and then in the FX add a frequency shifter turn the mix up to 100 then play around with that.

Doing this will give that slightly discordant sound that is on the record, its by no means 100% perfect but I am basing this on about 5 mins with my virus after reading your post. If you fiddle around with the parameters ( which is what the virus and any synth is all about ) then i'm sure you will get close enough, as well as learning more to make re creating sounds much more natural for your self in the future.

Hope this helps and you can carry on with the most important thing making music :thumbup:

Are you using a virus? Frequence shifter is not available in my "Fx"? Maybe my OS is outdated, unless your talking about modulation matrix.

• If it's the humming type bass sound, I'd guess the sound is mainly based on hypersaw or unisono saw sent thru a resonant tuned (filter frequency is following the key frequency) Bandpassfilter to a waveshaper or distortion FX...

• "Resonant tuned (filterfrequency is following the key frequency (are you talking about normal keytracking in the filter section??)
    Damn you Virus Ti programming nerds, :D
    Bandpassfilter to a waveshaper or distortion fx? Already tried all distortions, it doesn't improve the sound it makes it more "evil" and "dirty" sounding, not the desired effect.
    Bandpass i played around little with it, but to me it sounds like its lowpassed with some kind of modulation to make the "hummy:ness", post a short clip of your "suggestions".

• I'm not virus programming nerd, I don't even like the synth but tend to use it as blueprint when recreating Virus sounds or Virus soundalikes for other synths...

Anyway it generaly works the way I described it, but you might have to improvise a bit when it comes to the virus. When distortion tends to create a bit too much dirt, you have to reduce the richness of the input or filter the output. Anyway, the bass sound seems to have a clearly noticable distortion/intermodulation signature, juding by the Youtube Version I found...

• Yes, discusing popular sounds.
    I gave up, my attempt is not even near, i can recreate other stuff, but that bass sound, it's not even near, and i really don't understand what creates that "hummi:ness" the hypersaws is there, but that's not it. It doesnt sound like a complete bass sound, it's incomplete.
    "That" is missing.
    In a mix it sounds terrible and n00by, normal bass sounds are easy to make, but this one is another deal.

• Hi
    I've not attempted to find this sound myself but what i would do is play the original track/bass sound through a Band pass filter. Try and single out the humming sound and see what freq its at. Then you'll know where to concetrate your efforts. it could also be layered by two different synths to give it that distinctive sound.