Virus TI spews nasty noise

• Hello!

Came back with an (actual) problem with my TI keyboard:
    (*this only occurs in 64bit OS X kernel mode)

So I
    power-up/reboot my MP octo and boot into 64bit kernel. I power-up my
    ensemble, my two euphonix control surfaces and my virus ti. Load Logic
    Pro 9.0.2 (as I can't run 9.1 without it beachball killing me; another
    problem for another day) play around for a few minutes or hours. Close
    logic. Do something or nothing else restart Logic and my Virus spews
    horrible noise and deafens me. I recently discovered the "set cycle to
    1/96" parameter and hence have the box checked; I also have the small
    process latency setting set. I have tried powering on and off the TI but
    to no avail. Opening and closing Logic doesnt help nor does resetting
    the midi in logic. Only a reboot seems to work and I figure I shouldn't
    have to reboot every time I run Logic so I need some professional
    assistance!

**Edit: I'm connecting the TI to my MP via the discrete USB interface. My TI is upgraded to version 3.3.4 The mono+sync (panic) button combo also does nothing to stop the noise.

Thanks for your time and consideration!
    mm

Mac Pro 12 x 3.33GHZ, 64GB Mem, GTX 980ti 6GB RAM, Antelope Orion 32HD, Euphonix MC Control 2 and MC Mix, Virus TI2 (full keyboard), Yamaha RS-7000 AEIB2, Spectralis 2, Roland MC-505, Korg MicroKorg, OSX 10.12.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.2, ProTools 2018.1

MacBook Pro Dual 3.06 17", 4GB Mem, 9600M GT 512MB RAM

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von militantmind ()

• are you trying to use logic 9.0.2 in 64 bit mode? i was under the impression that 64 bit compatibility was one of the news in 9.1?

marc

• I am running my OS X in 64bit kernel mode, running Logic 9.0.2 in 32bit (which is what it runs at native). If I were to use Logic 9.1 it can run as a 64bit app but the 64bit version doesn't allow use of my Euphonix control surfaces so if I were to try to run 9.1 it would be in 32bit mode for the app itself. The 9.1 update allows the user (upon selecting off the 32bit mode start in the Logic Pro "get info" pane) to run the app as either a 64bit or 32bit version. They will run (or are SUPPOSED to run) fine in either kernel environment. However unless the user is running a 64bit kernel apparently the 64bit app won't TRULY be 64bit. I have problems running 9.1 in any flavor; I get random beachball deaths when I try to save-as or bounce.

**Update: I have determined that if I power-up the TI *BEFORE* powering up the MP, then leaving the unit powered on; I can close and open Logic 9.0.2 (32bit app as there is no way to run in 64bit mode) in 64bit Snow Leopard 10.6.2 as many times as I like without the nasty noise spew. However if I put the unit to sleep while the MP is on and then power it up, I get the spew.

mm

Mac Pro 12 x 3.33GHZ, 64GB Mem, GTX 980ti 6GB RAM, Antelope Orion 32HD, Euphonix MC Control 2 and MC Mix, Virus TI2 (full keyboard), Yamaha RS-7000 AEIB2, Spectralis 2, Roland MC-505, Korg MicroKorg, OSX 10.12.5, Logic Pro X 10.4.2, ProTools 2018.1

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von militantmind ()

• ok. Solved my Logic 9.1 crashing issue. I can save-as and bounce in 9.1 with no issue. However, I am still getting my Virus spewing nasty noise if I turn it off and power it back on while exiting and re-entering Logic 9.1 (32bit flavor) in 64bit OSX kernel running Snow Leopard 10.6.2

mm

• *Update :)

So I tried out the 4.0.0.18 update using Snow Leopard 10.6.2 in 64bit kernel mode, with Logic 9.1 32bit flavor. I can still open and close Logic many times if I keep my Virus TI powered on the whole time I'm using my MP. However, if I power it down and then on again (various times; sometimes 2 times is enough, etc.) while closing and opening Logic for use I continue to get the nasty noise spew.

**HOWEVER, one thing that HAS changed because of this update is that if I try to reset/rescan the Audio Units Manager in Logic the nasty spew does stop now during this process but unfortunately comes back afterwards. Once the TI starts to spew nasty noise I have never- previouse to this update- been able to even affect the noise; by powering the TI up and down, unplugging it and doing the arp edit power on, resetting the Audio Units Manger, closing and opening Logic. The only thing that still affects the noise spew is a reboot; and I think that's silly.

• Same problem here too, MacPro 10.6.3 64bit kernel and Logic 9.1.1 in 32bit mode. This noise also happens is Ableton live. This is not a DAW problem and only goes away if I power the TI before I boot my MacPro. I think the TI doesn't get enough USB bandwidth if it is turned on after booting the computer. I have also tried to give the TI it's own USB card via PCIe with no other usb devices plugged in and same noise happens. Using TI OS 4.0.2.0.1, but firmware does not matter since this occurred with many of the v3 OS's.

Tony

• Tony, have you tried the new pro-audio apple update yet? I'm away from my studio on the road with my MBP and wondering if this new update helps any; it specifically addresses noise issues... apparently. I also, on my MP, run 10.6.3 and Logic 9.1.1- been a while since I've heard from this post!

Best regards!

mm

• I have this same issue... MacPro3,1, OS X 10.6.3, 64 bit kernel, Virus TI Keyboard.
    The problem is really annoying for me, as my Mac Pro is always on (doing protein folding). To avoid this issue I would have to power up the virus, and never power it down, or be forced to restart the whole process... Pause folding - power down mac - power up virus - power up mac - restart folding... I know I could just stop folding, but I'm really into it... :D

Any news on the subject?

• THAT'S THE RESULT OF THE "EXCELLENT" QUALITY ASSURANCE MADE BY ACCESS SINCE THE VTI 1.6!

SAME PROBLEM!
    PROBLEM ALL THE TIME!!!

Another thing... just to complete my complaint... Why Total Integration if most of the user have to run Virus TI stand alone!!!

Sorry guys! I'm really disappointed!

If someone find something, please hook me up :)

VTI 4.0.5.0.1

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 16 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

• Hi There

I'm having the same problem with version 1 TI Polar on Mac Pro( Xeon 2.8GIG 8 core) running in 64bit mode with Logic 9. I've tried various things to get rid of this horrible noise but with no avail, so I was really please to see a new BETA (Virus TI Installer 4.1.0.16 for Mac OS X Public Beta) firmware + software update.

Unfortunately after installing the update and restarting both the Virus and my Mac, I fired up Logic and I'm still getting this horrible noise.

1) Tried to isolate the USB port or bus on which this happens , but it seems to happen on all the Mac Pro USB ports, and have also tried with different USB cables

2) The noise disappears and the TI audio is back to normal if I plug it into a port shared with a USB hub, iLock, keyboard etc. but now the AU interface reports that the TI USB is being shared with other devices and on a USB hub and suggests it should be plugged in on it's own port.

3) Also tried 1 + 2 with Login in 32bit

4) Logic in 64bit mode with TI plugin AU 64 and 32 bit versions

If anybody cracks this one please let us know, it seems to be down to access software team to crack this one. I love my Virus and really miss being able to use the total integration

Please HELP!!

• Hey all,

I've got the same issue, only for me, it happens all the time within virus control. Recently, I've been in contact with Jörg Hüttner from Access, however, I've been in dealing with Access about this problem since the release of OS 4 and the new TI2.

Here is my setup:
    Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac OS X 10.6.4
    3 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
    Presonus Firestudio 26x26
    M-Audio Axiom-61 (MIDI Keyboard)
    Access Virus TI Polar (TI1)older OS 4.0.5

DAW'S used (Issue happens inALL of the DAW's)
    Logic 9.1.3 (32bit) All settings have been verified by Access Suport
    Ableton 8

Within minutes of instantiating the Virus control plug-in in Logic or Live:

The TI will act out on it's own, throwing out a mixed assortment of loud, fast attack sounds, blips, and other irritating loud noises, usually lasting about 2 seconds before it stops. With everything 'appearing' to be okay, triggering the Axiom or Virus TI reveals otherwise. No audio. playing random keys does however show the plug in responding to the played keys with a spike in the Virus control channel strip, inside the plugin. Changing patches, settings, whatever has no affect on the Virus TI, leaving one option, RESET! I power EVERYTHING down, restart, and try again. unfortunately, It happens again!!! With the exception of live, non-virus controled use, my TI 1 is a useless toy collecting dust.

I've pleaded my case to Access Support with Screen shots of ALL my settings, including: Screen shots of my logic settings, Screen shots of my audio midi setup settings, Screen shots of my System profiler settings....

I've had this problem for so long now, I can't even remember a time when I didn't. ....... Once all my hardware/software became Snow Leopard compatible, I decided to update Mac OS X from 10.5 to 10.6. Even after a FRESH install onto a formatted HD, reloading only the import apps, same problem!

I have a feeling this problem exists only in the older TI 1 models.

• mac pro 10.6.6
    2x 2.4ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon
    24gig ram

ableton live 8.1.4

very loud noise when starting virus control.

this doesnt happen under 32bit restart.....

???
    shit.....=(

will install logic and check whats happen there......

• hi,

so, from what i can see here, you are all using a mac running a 64 bit kernel. everything else seems to not matter, for instance:

- if logic runs in 32 or 64 bit mode
    - if i user logic or live or eventually other hosts

so to all of you having this problem: am i correct in my assumption that it's enough to have a 64 bit kernel running, start virus control and wait for a while and then suddenly the noise starts happening?

best, marc

• Hi Marc

I would say that's pretty accurate. I tried both LOGIC 32 64 bit and Ableton, Im using and Imac osx snow leopard with same issues after a certain period of time. I get artifacts like the zipper sound you get with poorly aliased filters or something when making adjustments to random parameters. I also notice artifacts in the low frequencies mostly. However running it standalone through the analog works perfect.

Thanks for reading.

• Hi all,

I am having the same issues with my TI snow in logic 9.1.3 since picking up a new mac pro 3.2 quad (mid 2010 model). These now boot in 64 bit kernal mode from the factory and so this is a real pain. Any fixes would be much appreciated

Many thanks

• I have the same problem on my Mac Pro 2 x 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, OSX 10.6.6. I get the noise as soon as i open the Virus plug-in in Logic 9.1.3 or Ableton.
    Please tell me theres a fix for this? Should i contact support?

• I also had this with my Mac Pro Quad Xeon, Logic Studio and my Virus Ti Desktop 2. Spent ages talking to Jörg but we couldn't solve it in 4.1.1.05 The public Beta of 4.5 *seems* to have stopped this from what little time I have spent with it but still USB, Logic and the Virus Plugin are just not good enough for me (timing/crashes), so Ill stick to MIDI and the Audio outs.