Slow UI with windows 7

• hi there,

we've seen multiple posts complaining about UI sluggishness in windows 7 and virus control. could somebody who has this problem please make a video and send it into support (maximum file size is 4MB if i'm not mistaken). what we see here is nothing in comparison to what some of you describe. we just want to be sure that we are talking about the same thing. a video of what we see here you can download below for comparison:

please understand that you cannot post files here for security reasons.

thanks a lot, marc

• Hi marc

Im not much of a poster on these forums but am experiencing the UI sluggishness and would like some improvement...

Do you still need someone to make a video of this?

If so I can make you one,

Cheers

Ryan

• I've just upgraded to windows 7 this past week and my UI is really choppy too, in fact if I've got a project playing in Cubase and I mouse over knobs on the virus UI (making the tooltip bit at the bottom update) I can see the playhead in cubase jumping a bit, so it's bogging everything down not just the UI of the plugin.

Mine looks virtually the same as the video you posted but the lag is about 2x as bad.

System specs if it helps: (this obviously should be running like butter on these)

Core i7 920 running @ 4GHz
    12 GB RAM
    Win7 x64

If there is any more info you need or you would like me to record a video let me know (I only didn't because the way the actual lag looks is the same as what you posted just a bit more extreme)

• Was wondering what the progress is on this. I don't have windows 7 installed anymore, so I can't make a video. Maybe I'll give it a shot when I have a little free time in the next month or so.

p.s. Intel i7 920 w/ 6B ram

• Hi Marc,

Wanted to say the UI lag I see is very similar to what you see in the video.

It was a lot worse in the older version and is substantially better now.

Sometimes hiding and then reloading the plugin with the 'e' button helps. Lagginess seems to increase over the amount of time that the window is open.

• Capture: http://www.sendspace.com/file/5ej9qb (3.5MB)

Not sure how well you can see it @ 30FPS, but there is definitely sluggishness and choppy GUI movement. It doesn't seem that bad at first, but after working in it for a while, it really gets irritating. I know this is prolly SB's fault, but anything you can do would be great :)

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

• do you mean after a while the UI gets more sluggish or after a while it starts getting on your nerves?

thanks, marc

After a while it starts getting on your nerves :)
    Especially whenever small precise tweaks are needed. Almost like you have to move-wait-look for every tweak, as there is a small but noticeable lag between the mouse move and GUI visual feedback.
    It's nowhere near as bad as it was on the 1st VC 64bit beta release, but also far from the fluid movement in 32bit version of VC/cubase/windowsXP.

EDIT:
    another capture, this is from a mid sized project (during playback) showing the lagging and choppy movement much better:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/6246bk

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von LfmC ()

• Here's how it looks like for me:

http://hotfile.com/dl/35767311…ubase-screencast.mp4.html

As you can see it's not only the plugins GUI that is sluggish, it also affects the host, the position and activity indicators start to stutter even when simply moving the mouse over the plugins GUI, turning knobs makes it even worse, especially the easy page filter knob (the hosts indicators hardly move at all when using it).

As already stated by LfmC, tweaking values precisely is a nightmare :wacko:

btw, you can't really see it in the video, but when clicking on the volume fader button it doesn't start dragging from where you've clicked it, it jumps to a fixed point, this is a few pixels on the right of the white stripe, that's kinda annoying too ;)

Regards...

• My Cubase has become slower in terms of the playback cursor, meters etc responding in real time like they should, but not as bad as in that video, and only as the project gets more complex. Any enhancement is welcome however, lower latency will never be complained about.

• recently installed win 7 and unfortunatly i have the same problem with the slow/sluggish UI. I use my virus in all my projects but with Windows 7 it's almost impossible which results in a lot of frustration. I've added a capture from how the VC responds when the transport is running in cubase 5.1.1. I know it takes some time to figure it all out but I hope my capture will help and the problem will be fixed soon:S .

capture: http://www.speedyshare.com/fil…1427/download/capture.wmv

Kind regards

Frank

• +1 for slugginesh

Win 7 64 .. when on the brower window, it actually grinds my whole FL Studio GUI down by about 30% (the mixer meters etc) .. they stutter up and down ... hardly the end of the world, but the moment the GUI is closed, they go back to smoooooth meters.

It's a Q6600 quad, 8 gig ram - a decent system ... never seen any lag with anything else.

I'm not sure how to capture video - anyone recommend a good free capture tool and I'll try to show you ...

Hopefully there's enough of us now to prove we need a fix :)

S.S.

DAW: FL Studio 9.1
    CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
    Mobo: Asus PEe
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 @ 800MHz
    Monitor: Dual Sumsung 223bw
    GPU: ATI HD 3870 x2
    Audio: MoTU UltraLite mk3
    Monitoring: Genelec 8020a
    Midi Controller: Edirol PCR-500
    Hard Synths: Virus Ti2 K/B, Tetra4, Mopho K/B
    Fav VSTi's: Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, Kontakt4
    Microphone: sE2200a

• hey Someone know any solution for lag in Virus control?

I have Virus Ti 1 and i think that virus control have a grafics problems important ..its true ... it is slow in w7.

i thinked that it will fixed in 4.0.18 version but i have the same problems in Windows 7 32 or 64 bits

if someone have the solutions ..... please info us

thanks

• hey Someone know any solution for lag in Virus control?

not yet. It has guess it has something to do with the way windows 7 displays the VC. I tried to run cubase in compatability mode but that doesn't help. they're working on it. I know It sucks but be patient. There will be a solution ;)

• Sup guys,

I posted a message on steinberg cubase regarding the GUI issue and got the following reply:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Try disabling Desktop Composition for Cubase. What this will do is turn off Aero when you're running Cubase and automatically turn back on once you close it. I don't run my TI on Windows 7 so I'm not sure if this will actually work. It could help since it would ease pressure off the graphics card.

1. Right-click on the Cubase icon on your desktop and choose Properties.
    2. Click on the Compatibility tab.
    3. Put a check next to "disable desktop composition".
    4. Launch Cubase.

You'll get a message about Windows switching to a Basic theme, just close it. There's an option to "not show this message again" that you can enable if you want. But yeah, after doing this, see if you still have the GUI lag.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After you've done this the lag is MUCH less. Still a little laggy but for me it's acceptable.
    Tnx 2 Hell Yeh :thumbup:

• I have to say the latest version of the TIOS (and perhaps the one before...) works great on win7 now - its pretty smooth... It could be faster but it is well within the realms of tolerable...