TI2 & Logic 9 Minimal Latency Setup?

• Can someone describe how they've setup their Virus TI2 with Logic 9 to minimize latency completely.
    I have had some issues where notes are being played out of sync and off-beat. What are your settings for latency/buffer in Logic.

I've read on other forums that USB bandwith gets divided when you have multiple USB devices, and a PCI USB expansion card should be installed to tackle this issue. Is this true?

I'm currently running the Virus & Logic on a MacPro 2.67Ghz Octacore with 8gb of ram. I think the system is quite capable of handling the workload.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Shubs

• Firstly, yes a dedicated USB card is advised (but not crucial if you are light on USB devices).

You want to check your ASIO settings - see how small a latency your system can cope with...

Also, there is a 'live mode' button in the bottom left of the VST - if this isnt activated, you will find that clicking it will improve things a heck of a lot....

• I have had some issues where notes are being played out of sync and off-beat.

in case we're talking about the same thing, that's a known issue with logic 9 we are working on right now. what i found is that it _only_ goes out of sync if you position the SPL with the mouse and cycle is on.

as for a dedicated USB card, i would only go for one if you experience crackling and/or get warning messages from virus control (the info bar goes red messaging you a sync error, virus control detects an USB conflict at startup etc.) -

with your mac, it shouldn't be impossible to run a buffer size of 64 samples. i got an 8 core here and a MacBook Pro from 2009 and both work great with 64 samples.

best, marc

• It's definitely right description! I've got all USB ports occupied by synths and my Virus Ti loses sync sometimes while being connected via USB too, especially in cycle. It works properly being disconnected via USB.
    My idea is to try using external MTC source to make Logic run stable. Does anybody think it will be helpfull?

• No, not at all. MTC is there to sync several computers or other recording devices in sync.

You might want to do a test by removing anything else and keeping only the TI and mouse/keyboard connected. Check if the actual sync then is better or not. The more USB devices are connected to your computer the higher the chance the USB bus(ses) being maxed out or running into "troubles".

Best wishes,
    Joerg Huettner

• You're right. I tested only Ti connected via USB yesterday. The sync was pretty stable but much worse then the Ti was connected as midi device. I've got an idea to install PCI-E card with extra USB ports, for instance, Allegro Express USB 2.0. Will it help?

• You want to check your ASIO settings - see how small a latency your system can cope with...

Also, there is a 'live mode' button in the bottom left of the VST - if this isnt activated, you will find that clicking it will improve things a heck of a lot....

How do I check my ASIO settings? I use a Mac OS 10.6.
    I've noticed that when I turn on the live mode, my sound tends to go out out of sync as well. My Virus sounds will play before my kick drum or what have you.

What settings should I have in Logic for the plug-in compensation and delay values?

[
    as for a dedicated USB card, i would only go for one if you experience crackling and/or get warning messages from virus control (the info bar goes red messaging you a sync error, virus control detects an USB conflict at startup etc.) -

I don't get the red out of sync error during start up. Only during playback in my arrangement. Quite annoying to say the least.
    Also, is offline bouncing gonna become a possibility soon?

• I have to admit I'm not familiar with how Logic works at all - you may have to check the manual for Logic.

It should tell you how to get to your audio settings and, hopefully, you will be able to reduce your latency - I'm not convinced that this is the whole story, however.

• You're right. I tested only Ti connected via USB yesterday. The sync was pretty stable but much worse then the Ti was connected as midi device. I've got an idea to install PCI-E card with extra USB ports, for instance, Sonnet Allegro Express USB 2.0. Will it help?

In addition, I suppose making the TI connected as the only device tj that card.

By the way, which total integration we are talking about if I cant use my Mac with 8-core processor and 18 GB of memory with other USB devices? By my mind, the really total integrated device should not depend on the amount of devices connected via USB, should it? Other USB devices don't have loosing sync and work well now.
    My new idea: Because I don't need such "integration" I will be happy if the Ti developers give me some simple options:
    - to manage banks and patches via MAC
    - to save and manage "multi's" and their setups
    - NO ANY USB!!! ONLY MIDI!!!! :)))))))))))))))))))))